Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Withers - A Living God ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

yea lovely day has to be the happiest song ever written one of my favorite songs ever and he had a class afro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Lovely Day and Ain't No Sunshine are great songs and he is a great singer- I know nothing about the man and only learned that he is black from seeing an Old Grey Whistle Test DVD which featured him and a rather good backing band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

I've seen short interviews on the Internet - he doesn't seem to court much publicity.

However there was a documentary made about him called "Still Bill" a year or two ago which I'm eager to see. I'm grateful it was made as he is a good age now - nearly 72.

He's just so talented, straight and genuine. A breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yeah, he's a winner. Pretty sure those first two vids are from the Old Grey Whistle Test session. The drummer is brilliant - the sweet perma-smile...

I love Use Me. Such a great riff. He definitely surrounded himself with tasty musicians.

How do you turn a duck into a legendary soul singer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Married to the same woman for the last 34 years. Didn't fall (to the best of my knowledge) to Drink or Drug or Sex Addiction - like so many "Artists" seem to do these days.

Whut? Why is artists in quotation marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Lovely Day is great song until it gets to the last minute.

a lovely daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    a lovely daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    a lovely daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

hate that part so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not sure if I'd rate him as highly as the OP, but he's a fantastic singer: one of the warmest soul voices. I love the story of him being discovered singing in work as an aircraft worker, but it's possibly apocryphal? :))

My favourite tune of his:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

Thanks for posting that. I've never heard that tune before and I like it ! (surprise surprise :D).

The man just has it - whatever "it" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I only know his better known stuff and I think it's all wonderful. Ain't No Sunshine is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

He's one of those alright. You know what I mean, right? That word begining with "L" and ending in "end" that these days is usually used to describe certain flashes-in-the-pan who will be soon readily forgotton?

I can't imagine discussing Black Eyed Peas or Ditzee Rascal in 3 years, let alone in 30+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Yep, Bill Withers, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Gil Scott Heron, Issac Hayes are all fantastic!

Advertisement