Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Garda?

• 08-06-2010 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I just wanted to know did anyone know of any openly Gay garda currently in the force?

When I'm finished my studies in a few years I'd hope to apply for a job in AGS.

Are there many gay Garda? Would it be a mistake to become a Guard if someone was openly gay? Thought and opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

maxi19 wrote: »
    I just wanted to know did anyone know of any openly Gay garda currently in the force?

Are there many gay Garda? Would it be a mistake to become a Guard if someone was openly gay? Thought and opinions?

What do you mean by openly gay?.
    I am sure there are more than a few gay guards alright. A persons sexuality is a personal thing, isn't it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

It might be a bit distracting though, working with all those fine young men in uniform every day. Serious post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Demonon wrote: »
    It might be a bit distracting though, working with all those fine young men in uniform every day. Serious post.

Would you buy this fine young man a bag of chips?

33eo4fp.jpg

Surely no more a distraction than working with those fine young women in uniform every day?

I don't see how sexual preference can make any difference to a Garda. You can't really be an openly gay Garda anyway. It's not like you can throw on a pink shirt and parade around like a stereotype. The job comes with a uniform and, as far as I know, fairly strict personal hygiene rules (I don't know for sure, but I partly believe that Gardaì aren't allowed beards. I've never seen a beared Garda or Garda with a goatee. Rarely see women with their hair down (and ony ever seen that in the station itself).

If you're known to the area your stationed as being gay then you may get scumbags making sly remarks, but no more than any other Garda I wouldn't imagine. It's 2010. Sensible people don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

OP - A number of openly gay Gardai have reported being the subject of a lot of hassle from their colleagues, but I'd imagine that's down to the stations and people they work with. There have been a few articles about it in the papers, and I know the Guards as a whole have made an effort to sort it out, but I don't think they're entirely there as yet.

Like any state organisation, it's a relatively conservative body. Times are a'changin' by all accounts, but get the impression it's not entirely a thing of the past just yet, whatever the official line is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There's no way you'd get a gay man into a Garda uniform.

Yellow jacket with navy trousers?? Helloooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is being openly gay as in not hiding the fact you are gay.

Then there is being openly gay as in what people stereotype like what Fruitlover depicted. As in my interior designer ringing me
    "I am sooooo excited about these bricks you simply have to come and see them"
    in his role that's brillant I need him to be upbeat and into his work because I cant choose colours for sh1t. His demeanour has no bearing on the job at hand.

Lets face it that's not going to work as a cop.

If they can perform the tasks requested I see no reason anyone can not join a police force regardless of your sexuality, race, or religon etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's interesting that this hasn't been raised (no pun intended) on the forum before.

There are a few gay PSNI Cons up here and there's a support group called the Gay Police Association if they want to join. The site seems to be getting a makeover at the minute, but here is the link for when it's ready for use.

Gay/Lesbian police officers in general can be asked to help investigate homophobic-related crime and it's not unusual for them to talk to, or visit with, the victim. The hope is to reassure the victim that the incident will be taken seriously, and that word will spread within the GLBT community encouraging them to report such incidents.

Naturally, the PSNI claim equal rights for gay people within the organisation, but I have met a few older people who have extremely unpleasant things to say about gay people in general, or who make vile "jokes", etc. Thankfully these are people who are close to retirement. Most people in my job genuinely don't care what you do outside of work, as long as you can do the job, and as long as you'll jump in if things kick off during a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Group G the offical support network for gay and lesbian Gardai was finally recognised by the Garda Commissoner in December last year.

Group G

I've met one or two lesbian Gardai and a few gay guys too. Although I don't think they were out at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

MicraBoy wrote: »
    Group G the offical support network for gay and lesbian Gardai was finally recognised by the Garda Commissoner in December last year.

Fair dues to the Garda Commissioner for this . Anyone remember the hassle he got for refusing to permit a Sikh Reserve Garda to wear a turban on duty ? By comparison his decision to recognise a LGBT network passed with little comment or praise - now why was that I wonder ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference who you sleep with. To me it's a personal and private thing. I don't get these groups and pride marches, you are who you are and let's all get on with it.

Surely no more a distraction than working with those fine young women in uniform every day?

I don't see how sexual preference can make any difference to a Garda. You can't really be an openly gay Garda anyway. It's not like you can throw on a pink shirt and parade around like a stereotype. The job comes with a uniform and, as far as I know, fairly strict personal hygiene rules (I don't know for sure, but I partly believe that Gardaì aren't allowed beards. I've never seen a beared Garda or Garda with a goatee. Rarely see women with their hair down (and ony ever seen that in the station itself).

If you're known to the area your stationed as being gay then you may get scumbags making sly remarks, but no more than any other Garda I wouldn't imagine. It's 2010. Sensible people don't care.

AFAIK, they are not allow to sport a beard when in uniform and in public.
    BANNED FROM THE BEAT FOR GROWING A BEARD; Skin disorder Garda may go to courts.

A GARDA has been banned from carrying out his duties in uniform because he has grown a beard.

He has been taken off the beat despite pleas for special permission to have a beard due to a painful skin disorder.

The officer is now said to be taking legal advice and is considering bringing his case before the High Court.

Garda Wilson has had a series of disputes with his bosses over his beard.

He claims that he lost thousands of pounds in wages when he was barred from taking part in the foot-and-mouth patrols.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/BANNED+FROM+THE+BEAT+FOR+GROWING+A+BEARD%3B+Skin+disorder+Garda+may+go...-a075425608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

As long as you are not joining to get access to more men :D Or to look good to other gay guys(in uniform ) I see your angle:D

Seriously i dont think should be problem,i am sure there are gay Gardaí.
    So long as you are wanting to your job go for it.Best of luck :)

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Why is a Garda not allowed a beard:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

I'd say it'd be great fun:

thinblueline1_124x69.jpg

caseyann wrote: »
    Why is a Garda not allowed a beard:confused:

From the article:

-snip-

Superintendent John Farrelly confirmed uniformed members of the force should be clean-shaven.

He said: "There has to be conformity in the force.

"There are a number of regulations with regard uniforms and this is one of them.

"A Garda officer with a beard can be accommodated and carry out their duties, but not in the uniformed section."

Anyways, he took it to court but I don't know the outcome. Lets get back on topic or PSNI will see red. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Although the official line is everyone is equal i reckon a gay garda would have no end of **** to put up with.

Anyhow, how would straight garda feel about sharing communals showers with their gay colleagues. Personally I wouldn't care. Actually I say I'd feel quite flattered. Once they don't stare too long or try and touch my tool, away you go. :D

Although the official line is everyone is equal i reckon a gay garda would have no end of **** to put up with.

If thats the case then the institute of Gardai is no more than a club for straight men and bullies.But it does not belong to them and i would hope they would have a bit more decorum then to become bullies.
    Then again i would'nt imagine a gay man who wants to become a Garda as a push over,who would be intimidated by anyone of such.And probably be well able for himself.Also there would be measures in place to protect every Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Would you buy this fine young man a bag of chips?

33eo4fp.jpg

Thats my DAD :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I know four openly gay Gardaí, both male & female. I've never seen them get any hassle about their sexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

There is a Lesbian Garda in my town and shes grand !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There are plenty of gay Gardai.

I have never known any problems with any of the gay Gardai I know or knew.

People forget that Gardai are actually picked from the public at large. Not manufactured in test tubes :D

So you will always get a good mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

+1
    I know a good few of both male and female gardai who happen to be gay. Never been an issue to me or any of my other colleages (that I know of, but we are a fairly young unit) . They are judged on how well they do the job, like the rest of us. Not on how they live their lives (as long as its legal) or who they go to bed with.

If you want to go for the job, do it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Chief--- wrote: »

People forget that Gardai are actually picked from the public at large. Not manufactured in test tubes :D

Templemore: "We take 200 ordinary men and women, process the hell out of them, and send them out on the street with sticks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

OP there has been some negative posts about gay people in the job from posters who are not in the job. Read the last few posts from people who are actually in the job who know and work with gay people.

There were 4-5 openly gay people in my phase. None of them got any hassle from other students in the college and all were treated the same as hetrosexual people. It shoudnt be any other way.

Do some gay people get bullied? Yes but show me a job where no one gets bullied. There will always be eejits who dont accept gay people thinking they are akin to lepers but those type of people are in the minority.

Excellent thread by the way and as PSNI said, Im surprised it hasnt come up before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I think you're more likely to have hassle from the public you serve than from colleagues, to be honest.. But that's just part of the job anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I know two gay gardai, One decieded not to share it with his colleagues and
    the other is openly gay, Neither of them get any hassle due to their sexuality.

You will find judgemental people in all walks of life, It shouldn't stop you pursuing
    a career your interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/gay-garda-tells-how-he-was-outed-and-reveals-force-changes-1556484.html

@OP if you search for Garda Review you should be able to find the Full Article somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

and yes there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Chief--- wrote: »

Now I know where tall , skinny Guards come from ........

5500_pregnancy_cartoon.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I should also piont out I worked with a gay guy once and he was the biggest baddest f**ker on the shift. No one would even think of crossing him. :D

pah wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/gay-garda-tells-how-he-was-outed-and-reveals-force-changes-1556484.html

@OP if you search for Garda Review you should be able to find the Full Article somewhere

You can download the article here:

www.gardareview.ie/media/binder_gr_june09.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

i suspect that just the blokes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scorpionbite

As a member of the above group, formally known as G Group, I can most certainly verify that there are many Gay Gardai, some in, some out (of their own choice, nothing to do with the job). And it is more than acceptable to be Gay and be a Garda. In fact, An Garda Siochana only 1 month ago won Best Employer of the Year, beating IBM and Microsoft in the annual GALA Gay and Lesbian Awards 2010. So anyone who is Gay, and wants to join, you are more than welcome as long as you meet the Criteria necessary as set by the Commissioner, which, and I quote, will have no bearing whatsoever on your Orientation, thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭resus

As distracting as working with fine nurses in uniform every day. Serious Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

OP - A number of openly gay Gardai have reported being the subject of a lot of hassle from their colleagues, but I'd imagine that's down to the stations and people they work with. There have been a few articles about it in the papers, and I know the Guards as a whole have made an effort to sort it out, but I don't think they're entirely there as yet.

Like any state organisation, it's a relatively conservative body. Times are a'changin' by all accounts, but get the impression it's not entirely a thing of the past just yet, whatever the official line is.

Really:rolleyes: . . . . . . . .this must be all wrong so, http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6153

At OP, there are plenty of Gay Gardai, . . .im sure they are judged by their colleagues based upon their performance at work everyday, not their private personnal relationships.

Im sure it would be no different to working in any other similar occupation and being openly Gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

There is a uniform code. Males hair has to be a certain length, No beards or goatees. Women's hair is supposed to be tied up at all times while in uniform. No facial piercings or visible tattoo's so you won't look anyway different from any of your colleagues.

I'm in the job and I know a lot of men and women who are gay and don't get hassle. All gardai get abused but thats for the uniform not your personal life. Generally when people slag you they'll pick up on your physical attributes but generally you will have the backing and support of your colleagues who will stand up for you. Being gay in the guards is accepted but, like in all walks of life and different jobs, you will get the odd homophobe!!

Best of luck with your application!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

I know a gay Garda. He went to school with me. I doubt it's ever been important in work for him. I mean, unless he got hassle, it doesn't really matter in the workplace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You can't really be an openly gay Garda anyway. It's not like you can throw on a pink shirt and parade around like a stereotype. The job comes with a uniform and, as far as I know, fairly strict personal hygiene rules.

That sort of thinking infuriates me. Can't be openly gay because the job won't allow pink shirts or parades and demands strict personal hygiene? That's what 'openly gay' means to you? Seriously?

Being openly gay is about not being afraid or ashamed to mention your (same-sex) significant other, or your desire for one, in passing in the same way that anyone else might. There's a time and a place for personal conversation in any job. It's about not leaving yourself out of those conversations due to fear or shame. And it's about not being bullied or looked down upon when you do include yourself.

It's got feck all to do with Pink shirts, parades and personal hygiene, that's for sure.
    Corcioch wrote: »
    At OP, there are plenty of Gay Gardai, . . .im sure they are judged by their colleagues based upon their performance at work everyday, not their private personnal relationships.
    QFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Goodshape wrote: »

It's got feck all to do with Pink shirts, parades and personal hygiene, that's for sure.

While being openly gay and "gay pride" are completely different I do see where the OP from your quote is coming from, pink shirts and parades are the public face of the gay community, Personally I'd like to run a "Straight Pride" parade every year but no one would take me seriously. :D

I think the fact that gay issues are put on a pedestal like parades or awards for best employer :rolleyes: don't help things really although I do realise it's important to highlight issues in relation to abuse/bullying etc...

Were their ever awards here for best female employer, or best black, chinese etc worker?

I look forward to the day it is no longer deemed neccessary to have a best employer award for the LGBT community because everyone is accepted as being normal in their own right. Could take a while but it will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pah wrote: »
    While being openly gay and "gay pride" are completely different I do see where the OP from your quote is coming from, pink shirts and parades are the public face of the gay community

Yes, being openly gay and "gay pride" (as in the annual parade and celebrations) are completely different. Being Irish is also completely different from the St. Patricks day parade. Do they allow Irish Garda? Because I don't think the leprecaun outfit will fit in with the dress code. And you wouldn't even be allowed to drink on the job!
    Were their ever awards here for best female employer, or best black, chinese etc worker?
    Quick Google search reveals that yes, they do (at least internationally, not sure about little ol' Ireland)
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/diageo-recognized-as-top-diversity-employer-in-2009-best-of-the-best-annual-review-82619812.html

It's all very well to say or think that the minority groups get too much attention. In some respects they do. But it's often little compensation for the assumptions that are so routinely made about your personality, dress sense, suitability for a job.. based on nothing more than your gender, skin colour, ethnicity or sexual preference.
    I look forward to the day it is no longer deemed neccessary to have a best employer award for the LGBT community because everyone is accepted as being normal in their own right. Could take a while but it will come.
    Me too. But so long as people are still unsure about gay employees due to some sort of "no pink shirt" dress code, then I don't think we're ready to stop highlighting the issues just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You've reminded me of something i read a while back in the Independent, and after this weeks printing of the PWC girls photos it's topical again. I read about a gay garda, and to be honest it seemed he was "outed" and in my opinion rediculed by a newpaper...They named his station and other details, that would easily have identified him, and i'm sure he wasn't hiding anything but they insisted on making it news..even printing bit about his attire when he goes out on the town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

tmcw wrote: »
    I'd say it'd be great fun:

thinblueline1_124x69.jpg

Constable Goody was actually straight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There is a uniform code. Males hair has to be a certain length, No beards or goatees. Women's hair is supposed to be tied up at all times while in uniform. No facial piercings or visible tattoo's so you won't look anyway different from any of your colleagues.

This in itself is just archaic biggotry in disguise if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Never thought I'd live to see the day where a dude with a Hitler avatar calls out AGS on bigotry, Ireland has progressed so far.

Yes, my avatar is of the Simpsons representation of Hitler.
    Therefore I must be a facist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Yes, my avatar is of the Simpsons representation of Hitler.
    Therefore I must be a facist?

Yes, a uniform organisation insists that all members are equal and therefore display uniformity in public.
    Therefore they must be bigots ?

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Yes, a uniform organisation insists that all members are equal and therefore display uniformity in public.
    Therefore they must be bigots ?

No, uniformity is important.
    That's why they wear uniforms.

Yes I believe they are biggots.

I would love to discuss this further but we'd be hijacking the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement