Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Garda?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note: Agreed. Can we steer this back to issues that would be of interest to gay Gardai please?
    I would love to discuss this further but we'd be hijacking the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Chief--- wrote: »
    There are plenty of gay Gardai.

I have never known any problems with any of the gay Gardai I know or knew.

People forget that Gardai are actually picked from the public at large. Not manufactured in test tubes :D

So you will always get a good mix.

Brendan Behan said that Guards were lured down from the Kerry mountains by handfuls of raw meat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Yes, a uniform organisation insists that all members are equal and therefore display uniformity in public.
    Therefore they must be bigots ?

Gay people can wear Garda uniforms too. They just look better in them :pac:.

Seriously, I wouldn't think either a drag queen or a dedicated death metal fan would be all that suited to (or interested in) joining the guards, but sexuality alone has nothing to do with it. They don't hand out pink-pride uniforms and codes of conduct at the big-gay-coming-out-party.

Believing that a uniform requirement, or anything else, would make a person ineligible for a job because they ticked that box labeled "Homosexual" is bigoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Goodshape wrote: »
    Gay people can wear Garda uniforms too. They just look better in them :pac:.

Seriously, I wouldn't think either a drag queen or a dedicated death metal fan would be all that suited to (or interested in) joining the guards, but sexuality alone has nothing to do with it. They don't hand out pink-pride uniforms and codes of conduct at the big-gay-coming-out-party.

Well here's one Garda who is quite partial to his death metal and believe it or not, im quite good at my job. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference who you sleep with. To me it's a personal and private thing. I don't get these groups and pride marches, you are who you are and let's all get on with it.

I guess the groups and pride marches are because gay people had to live and die in the past without ever being able to freely express who they were and who they loved. Infact they were criminalised and mocked by a huge proportion of society and still are to a much lesser extent. Hopefully in years to come gay pride will become less of an issue because being gay will be less of an issue but for now, I presume a lot of gay people draw strength from groups because the members have all gone through the same trauma of coming out and learning who they are & their place in the world. The pride march is to display their right to be fully fledged members of society in a fun and carnival atmosphere - a stark contrast to the shadows they have had to hide in in the recent past.

bravestar wrote: »
    Well here's one Garda who is quite partial to his death metal and believe it or not, im quite good at my job. ;)

I knew that would happen :D

I knew that would happen :D

Couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Couldn't resist :D

You should have went further and told him you were a cross dressing heavy metal fan!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

This has got to be a first...In the three years I've been in the RAGS (hahaha) I have yet yo meet a Guard, Reserve or Fulltime, who likes any form of metal...amazing. AGS needs a HMAGS section, most def.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

caseyann wrote: »
    Why is a Garda not allowed a beard:confused:
    or a fluffy bush!!??

eroo wrote: »
    You should have went further and told him you were a cross dressing heavy metal fan!:D

Not sure I could ever live that one down HAHA :)
    shampon wrote: »
    This has got to be a first...In the three years I've been in the RAGS (hahaha) I have yet yo meet a Guard, Reserve or Fulltime, who likes any form of metal...amazing. AGS needs a HMAGS section, most def.

I know quite a few members into their metal, I think it's like a dirty little secret ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If everyone is equal then there should be no need for a minority support group.

"Everyone is equal" is the ideal, not necessarily the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I'm fairly sure that most people in AGS have got over the secondary school obsession with everyone being gay. A member's sexuality,whether a male or a banner, means about as much as he color of the third post box on the fifth left off the road in Borris O Kane as in, when the **** hit's the fan, Who cares? Honestly there is more serious questions in society then wether or not someones gay.

shampon wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that most people in AGS have got over the secondary school obsession with everyone being gay. A member's sexuality,whether a male or a banner, means about as much as he color of the third post box on the fifth left off the road in Borris O Kane as in, when the **** hit's the fan, Who cares? Honestly there is more serious questions in society then wether or not someones gay.

I agree it's getting a lot better and the need for such a support group is diminishing but coming out -- to yourself, to your family/friends, to your co-workers -- is still a very very big step for a lot of people and support groups, be they youth based for the, eh, youth, or based around your work environment are still very important.

And to suggest that there is no longer bigotry towards minorities is just not true. We aren't there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I know.

It just bugs me because it's such a contradiction of terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

everyone is not equal, the government has decided that gay people are only 95% the worth of a straight person, with the civil partnership bill.

Advertisement