Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GH3 Drum kit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This guy is a beast , check his other videos.

What's even more amazing is he's not drumming the drums, he's actually drumming the guitar parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cant understand how they see the colours and move so fast, i can only play medium on guitar !! :eek:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's all about understanding patterns. Good players don't see each individual note and process them like that, they see a group of notes and their fingers know how to play them.

So if you're on guitar and you see that cascading "B O Y B R Y G R" you know how to play that pattern. That's why it's often a case of "I don't know that pattern" if it looks like I'm failing hard.

That insane song on GH5 "21st Century Schizoid man" had a lot of those weird patterns if I recall correctly.

It's hard to explain really, but it makes perfect sense in my head. :P How do other Expert players explain the flow, here?

Spot on with patterns, but for me even on guitar not just drums its how the pattern sounds not just looks.

The look of the pattern guides your fret hand as if in auto pilot, I dont think about it nearly as much as my strum hand which listens for a pattern especial for fast streaks of notes , so im saying in my head da da da (up down up) da da da da da da (up down up down up down up) to keep me in time.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yeah I know what you mean.

Like, half your brain sub-conciously guides your fingers up and down the fret board and the other half keeps the rhythm with the song and scans for srum patterns.

Like I said hard to explain. It also explains why on hard sections, people have to think about where to put their fingers so they can't concentrate on the strumming as much and often just either flail wildly or play a steady stream of strums and hope that the HO/PO system fills in the blanks.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    It also explains why on hard sections, people have to think about where to put their fingers so they can't concentrate on the strumming as much and often just either flail wildly or play a steady stream of strums and hope that the HO/PO system fills in the blanks.

Exactly, still happens me in solos now and again you miss the start or zig zags and then go ah sh*te where am I when you hit the red :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Anyone else reminded of pedobear by his drums?

**tumbleweed rolls past**

Meh, I can mostly blag my way through the expert songs.

I only look out for a couple of patterns, like the patterns RB uses for bends and the semitone/tone HO/PO sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

calex71 wrote: »
    Spot on with patterns, but for me even on guitar not just drums its how the pattern sounds not just looks.

The look of the pattern guides your fret hand as if in auto pilot, I dont think about it nearly as much as my strum hand which listens for a pattern especial for fast streaks of notes , so im saying in my head da da da (up down up) da da da da da da (up down up down up down up) to keep me in time.

Agreed completely. Sometimes I drum better when I try to stop thinking and just 'autopilot'. But yes definitely it's all about pattern recognition.

I enjoy playing the Blink 182 songs (on drums) because they have different patterns.

A great example of of patterns is playing drums on Give it Away by RHCP. It's the same pattern over and over, so if u can get it down you've mastered the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Anyone else reminded of pedobear by his drums?

**tumbleweed rolls past**

my God it is a bear!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement