Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 subsonics

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi folks,
    I have a Ruger .223 (with silencer) and its still quite loud, can subsonic ammo be bought for this round??? thanks in advance.

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

Wanting subsonic .223 ammo kinda defeats the point of having a .223, you will never be able to get rid of the crack as the bullet is still travelling well over the sound barrier even with a mod on. you will just have to learn to live with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

can subsonic ammo be bought .... yes ... The US is the only place ive seen it.

can you have it .... possibly not ... its extremely expensive and restricted to L/E only

I have been on the lookout for sub .223 for a while now and come up trumps. 223 is a high velocity round so unless its for a special purpose you will find manufacturers slow not very obliging to the public is supplying it.

My advice...

ring around ask dealers what .223 they have write it all down and get on line to the respective manufacturer and check ballistics. whichever is the "slowest" round buy a box of that and see how your suppressor affects it.

Not eactly scientific and the rifle still will be over 100 decibels (i would imagine) ..... but if you want to go quieter.. its the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mark.223

Cheers for the advise lads......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Mark.223 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advise lads......

Notwithstanding the good advice from Mr gunhappy.ie, you might like to look into getting a .300 Whisper, a designed to be sub-sonic vermin cartridge, instead of trying to achieve the unachievable with a .223. [http://gunmart.net/gun_review/300_whisper_ar15/]

As Mr noodle650 points out, while it might be quiet from where you are, ANY commercially available factory .223 will still be supersonic at distances well outside the usual varmint-shooting ranges in the RoI.

Mark Bradley, an Irishman of note, makes such a firearm in 'hellish black rifle' format over here as a straight-pull, but any gunsmith worth the name could rebarrel your bolt-action gun to this calibre. The one in our club sounds like a .22LR with a moderator on it....and it has NO down-range crack.

Look our for www.bradleyArms.com and tell him I sent you. We share the distinction of both being banned from the same UK shooting forum for asking the moderator embarrassing questions that he could not/would not answer.

Best of luck

tac
    Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Edit - Belay my entire post - seems that there is NO commercial .300 Whisper ammunition - it's a handloader's round only. Sorry about that. Be ideal for you tho', eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

[QUOTE=tac foley;66287001you might like to look into getting a .300 Whisper, a designed to be sub-sonic vermin cartridge, instead of trying to achieve the unachievable with a .223. [http://gunmart.net/gun_review/300_whisper_ar15/]

QUOTE]

Dam it .. you got to the edit before I could say that the round is H/L only. :P:P:P:P

I looked into it a while back... Corbon in the US are the only manufacturers of .300 whisper that i know of ( i think there might be another but i cant remember)

To the OP.... sorry to tease you but .... .300 would be exactly what you are loking for if you could get the amunition. The round is designed only to be subsonic abnd fired from a suppressed firearm (youtube and watch the fun especially with ARs

You take a .223 action and rebarrel it. The bullet is made from taking either a .223 (although they apparently arent as suited as a .221) or a .222 casing and neck it up to accept a .300 bullet. apparently very very quiet, accurate, great stopping power for game as well as great for target shooting because of its low recoil. From what I remember though it is effective to 300m..

SSk industries will give an interesting read as they designed the cartridge.

Oh to live in a better place !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Dam it .. you got to the edit before I could say that the round is H/L only. :P:P:P:P

Contrary to public opinion, I only LOOK as though I'm stupid. True, I'm slowing up these days, but still fast enough for most things.

Nevertheless, I keep having to remind myself that I'm talking to shooters for whom at least half of the fun of shooting is denied by law.

Still seems mighty odd to me that you guys can have most anything that goes bang, right up to .338LM in some cases, but you are not to be trusted with a can of propellant, a box of bullets and a few primers.

And not a single black powder rifle or handgun between you...[sigh]

tac
    Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Advertisement