Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a laptop which is already set up with MS Office

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a laptop this week from a shop in Limerick, which is already set up with MS Office (Small Office Edition). Is this possible in Limerick, if so, which computer shops would do this? - I already checked with Soundstore and they dont do this....Im not technical and I dont want to do this myself, so this is why I would prefer the shop to do it....

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dell will build and instal whatever software you need.

Alternatively PC World (and many other places I'm sure) will sell you a machine and software and instal it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

we got ours in the shop in the crescent. click i think its called. its just on the left inside the front door. across the way from subway. very nice staff in there. came all set up, all we had to do was turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

I believe most if not all laptops come with a time limited verson of office, which lets you register to purchase it online. If you have already purchased the media, and just need it installed, I will do it for a cup of coffee for you :)

Is just a matter of opening pack, slide in cd, Click install when it pops up and enter in the serial number from the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't need to be in any way technical to install MS Office. It's just click next, next, etc after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Bought a new laptop last Friday and on it there is a 60 day trial.All that has to be done is to activate it and within 60 days get around to paying for it online,should only take a few minutes and it is already pre-installed,all ready to go.
    On the older laptop,I was using Open Office,which is free and once you download it,it intalls itself,with minimal effort from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

To install office you dont even need to insert the disk just buy a copy and use the code to authorise the trial version that is pre installed on every pc these days.

Unfortuatly small business edition is gone so depending on what exact apps you need you will have to get the pro or home and student version of office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Does it have to be MS Office ? OpenOffice is better and it's free (and the file format doesn't change with every release to force everyone to upgrade)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks guys for all the feedback. Slightly different topic...would anybody recommend buying a laptio from PC world with their support coverplan? - to me it looks very good, but Ive heard before that their support is pretty poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

banjobongo wrote: »
    thanks guys for all the feedback. Slightly different topic...would anybody recommend buying a laptio from PC world with their support coverplan? - to me it looks very good, but Ive heard before that their support is pretty poor?

Don't bother I say. I've never bought from them (got it from Dell), but have had my laptop fixed by MCS near the train station. They're constantly having people in with stuff from PC World. To be honest, going to a place like MCS would be a far better bet for buying a laptop which has what you need. Service is much better there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

better off to just insure laptop with house insurance. Backup your data regularly, using something like an external drive, which you dont take out of your house in your laptop bag!
    Using that backup, and whatever recovery image/cd that comes with laptop you can wipe the laptop back to its factory settings, then copy back your data.
    If you didnt feel comfortable doing this, your local techie would, either mcs, or someone who knows how to do such stuff (like me!) would be able to help you no problem with no monthly fee!
    Physical damage is the only thing this wont help with, but with laptops coming down in price all the time, if you drop it in 3 years, prob better to buy a new one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

banjobongo wrote: »

Do NOT purchase a coverplan from any computer shop as the terms and conditions get changed without the customer being informed.
    I purchased one on a PC many years ago and when I called to get the onsite next day service it took 4 days of argueing to get them out to my house and threatening the small claims court for mis-selling the coverplan.
    The month after i paid for 'next day on-site support' they changed the terms of the policy and removed the on-site portion.
    They expected me to package up my PC and send it back to them, at my own expense.
    The coverplan was also sold with a big paragraph explaining how you would get a voucher to the value of 20% of the plan to spend in the original shop once the plan was complete.
    5 years down the line, ring up for my vouchers to get told 'We know nothing about it, we're not the company that are on the plan because PC World changed company a year ago and you can basically take a flying leap if you think we're giving you a voucher'

So in summary, Waste of Time, Waste of Money, its covered in your house insurance so don't bother.

Advertisement