Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Ombudsman to probe handling of city car snatch.

• 08-06-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

Garda Ombudsman to probe handling of city car snatch

A Waterford couple is to lodge a complaint with the Garda Ombudsman following the robbery of one of their cars from outside their home in the Kilcohan area late last Friday night.
    Their action was prompted by their perception of how local Gardaí dealt with the incident, which a local City Councillor described as ‘thoroughly disappointing’.
    The car in question was stolen from outside their property at approximately 11.30pm and was found burned out at Saint Herblain Park just 20 minutes later

The story is incomplete in the online munster express and there's no point in buying thepaper now because it was printed in last weeks paper. Does anyone know the rest of the story?

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/garda-ombudsman-to-probe-handling-of-city-car-snatch/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

A call was immediately made to Waterford Gardaí, but it’s the initial reaction of local officers which disappointed both the couple and Fine Gael Councillor John Cummins

I imagine the gardai didnt have anybody/a squad car to respond to the call at the time, but that's just a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Haven't read the full story but with 20minutes between the car being stolen and it being found burnt out, is there much the Guards could have done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Not knowing anything about the story nobody can really comment at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

car was robbed at half 11,they rang guards,who said theyd be out immediately.half an hour later rang again no sign.2am,3am no sign .husband went to station the sunday morning,they still didnt take a statement or examine scene of crime.he was told to come back later that evening.

the guards didnt end up coming out till the monday to take a statement.

i can understand his frustration,my place got broken into and it took them 4 and a half hours and about 20 calls even though they were supposedly on their way after every call.didnt go to the ombudsman about it though.

btw the story is in this weeks news and star too.

only lived about 5 mins away at the time too from the station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok so the gardai coming out straight away would not have changed what happened to the car, however they could have taken statements sooner. Thats the long and short of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok so the gardai coming out straight away would not have changed what happened to the car, however they could have taken statements sooner. Thats the long and short of it anyway.

Yeah, at least if they came within a reasonable time it looks like they are doing there job, this could even relive some of the stress the person is feeling as they know someone is doing something for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

public servants eh....

why bother robbing a car in the first place only to burn it out 20 mins later?seems more hassle then its worth tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

celticbest wrote: »
    Yeah, at least if they came within a reasonable time it looks like they are doing there job, this could even relive some of the stress the person is feeling as they know someone is doing something for them.

i'd agree they should have come within a reasonable time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its a bit odd to me that a person or persons rob a car and burn it after twenty mins and within the locality! ! Strange very strange!

its a bit odd to me that a person or persons rob a car and burn it after twenty mins and within the locality! ! Strange very strange!

Agreed makes little sense, especially that fast.

I could suggest a reason for it but I won't.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I'll throw cat among pigeons and hazard a guess that if the call had come from a supposed "posh" area of the town the response time would have been quicker..i live in Kilcohan myself and one morning I went out at 7.30am to find window of my car smashed in, mobile stolen as i'd left it in glove box, a bday present my brother had bought me that i'd also forgotten to take out of the car gone, sat nav, stereo etc...took the guards until 11.30am to come out and they just said ah well, what can we do, we'll keep an eye and that was it..didnt even bother to look for who it might have been though i can hazard a guess but i wont..sometimes it seems like even if you're a decent citizen but you live in an area that some see as undesirable, when a crime happens on your doorstep your put to the back of the queue

Cabaal wrote: »
    Agreed makes little sense, especially that fast.

I could suggest a reason for it but I won't.....
    i could suggest a few also as i live just down the road from kilcohan

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I'll throw cat among pigeons and hazard a guess that if the call had come from a supposed "posh" area of the town the response time would have been quicker..i live in Kilcohan myself and one morning I went out at 7.30am to find window of my car smashed in, mobile stolen as i'd left it in glove box, a bday present my brother had bought me that i'd also forgotten to take out of the car gone, sat nav, stereo etc...took the guards until 11.30am to come out and they just said ah well, what can we do, we'll keep an eye and that was it..didnt even bother to look for who it might have been though i can hazard a guess but i wont..sometimes it seems like even if you're a decent citizen but you live in an area that some see as undesirable, when a crime happens on your doorstep your put to the back of the queue
    am originally from riverstown in tramore meself and it was the same out my way also!! the gardai were afraid to even drive through the place and if ya were ever stopped by em walking home and asked where ya were from ya would get nothing but hassle even though ya might have never gotten into any sort of trouble in your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

the house in question is in avondale, avondale has at least two ex-city mayors living there, surely that would carry some weight with the cops. their fairly fond of the ORR out there so they def know where avondale is

Advertisement