Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made wireworm trap

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Well, I wish I had looked into this before. If you have new garden in particular, as I did, where there was grass before, these will be a problem.

Anyway, along with supernemo (nemo.ie) I also built a trap after a little research.

As always, full details etc at
    www.connemaracroft.blogspot.com

wireworm+trap+in+positoin.jpg

Its fairly straightforward, baited with root veg and baking soda (for the CO2)

Made from a perforated old tin and a 6" nail to hold bait inplace with a bamboo marker flag.

It goes into the ground and later the tin gets gdug up to dispose of the pests.

wireworms are opportunistic, and attack all root veg, so I think this is worth the time and effort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Have you actually tested how it works?
    Would it clear a large area?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Well, my gut feeling is that it went in too late, better earlier in the year, but I got a lot of them out this way.

Honest opinion, think a raw spud on a stck earlier in the year would probably have been more effective, but I am very impressed by the supernemo (nemo.ie) - I feel it did very good work.

On or abut July 14th I plan on harvesting the new potatos, so with one ridge not treated and the beds having been dosed - that will give a better estimation - but the good news is got my first spuds up today:D, and the first kohlrabi and will be cooking those up

recipies, pics etc at connemaracroft.blogspot.com

Advertisement