Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old URL removal - difficulties

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My root directory (main domain) contains two folders containing sub-domains.

Root directory has a 301 redirect to sub-domain

One of the sub-domains has a 301 redirect to the other sub-domain.

Google is still listing pages from the redirected sub-domain.

I (think I) need to put a robots.txt file in the root domain to block robot access to the sub-domain.

However, I cannot put an index file into and verify the root domain since it redirects to the sub-domain in use.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 declanon

Have you tried removing the redirect, then using Google webmaster tools "Crawler access" -> "Removal URL" to remove the unwanted URL's?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

I think I have it.

I put the meta-verification info into the index of the site where all the redirects point to.

Should work now. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

As far as i know, google updates are once/3 months.Your pages cant disappear in few days.Once you have a 301 redirect, google knows you moved, so he is going to change the indexed urls from old website with the new ones without being penalised of duplicate content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

As far as i know, google updates are once/3 months.Your pages cant disappear in few days.Once you have a 301 redirect, google knows you moved, so he is going to change the indexed urls from old website with the new ones without being penalised of duplicate content.

If handled correctly the old URLs can be gone in weeks.

When moving a site, the idea of the 301 is really to pass all the link love and authority built up on your old domain to your new domain. It's not really about duplicate content although that is one thing you should definitely be aware of.

Advertisement