Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work wise

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So it's been a while since my ex walked out and I willingly (read stupidly) gave up my job to wallow in some serious self pity. But given that I'm doing reasonably okay on the healing front (thanks to therapy, ojar and life's small mercies), I thought I'd try my luck and see how I fare in the job market.

Now the problem is that after floating my résumé around, I've got some "okay" offers lined up but they all pale in comparison to my previous job, which was a senior position that came with a top-end salary, a superb package and a whole lot of autonomy. Now given the way the economy is right now, I'm grateful that I've had some responses. But after seven years of working my way up, I don't want to suddenly lower my market value either by just settling for whatever comes my way. But then again, what are the odds that I will find what I'm looking for anytime soon?

Just thinking out loud.... Should I continue to look around for a bit and then make a decision, or should I just be grateful for what I'm getting and make a choice? The problem is that my heart sinks every time I consider demoting myself from a Director level position to a managerial role. Is that unreasonable?

My last option is to treat this as a sabbatical, enrol in uni for a double majors and bide my time till things look up. But given my options, what would be the "smart" thing to do? Any feedback/ input is welcome at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

sorry for the short answer but thats life, im the same was owner of my own company that went bust and have to "settle" for mid management roles now but I dont care its paid work and Ill get back up again

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin451

I did 9 months ago what you are thinking about doing went from exec salary level to mangement level after redundancy
    The pluses are :
    a salary coming in
    you can still look for another job
    keeps you in the market
    Less pressure

The minuses are :
    may be seen as threat by boss
    have to take "orders" from those less competent which can lead to frustration/depression
    having to deal with junior bureaucrates who would previously been "intimidated" into giving you quickly what you want rather

Good luck its a tough one

Advertisement