Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec tips

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I go to a grind school and my teachers have a fair amount of pull with examiners.
    Apparently, in Home Ec, the main things to look out for are;
    Protein
    Vitamin C, A, D, E, K (Personally, HOPING for C)
    Milk
    Fish
    Resource management
    Iron (linked to Anaemia)
    Preservation
    HACCP
    ..And that's all I can remember.
    Anyone else have any other NB tips? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

thanks for the tips ,

Ones I've been hearing

Elective = poverty , work for sure.. then either education / childcare

Haccp is unlikely form what I Heard , its came up twice in a full question and last year food poisoning n spoilage came up in a full question..

Compulsory Q- meat/eggs/proteins/iron/calcium

Q2 - a disease/diet coeliac milling wheat , obesity , diabtes...

q3 + q4+ = something like consumer studies / budgeting / credit / family as fincancial unit...

Q5 - something like functions of family / wills / structures/elderly

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

PARARORY wrote: »
    thanks for the tips ,

Ones I've been hearing

Elective = poverty , work for sure.. then either education / childcare

Haccp is unlikely form what I Heard , its came up twice in a full question and last year food poisoning n spoilage came up in a full question..

Compulsory Q- meat/eggs/proteins/iron/calcium

Q2 - a disease/diet coeliac milling wheat , obesity , diabtes...

q3 + q4+ = something like consumer studies / budgeting / credit / family as fincancial unit...

Q5 - something like functions of family / wills / structures/elderly

Thats what i've learnt and if it comes up ill be a happy man ! anything else and im screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Going by past exam papers, I'm guessing that lighting and ventilation will come up as a part B question. Part A (compulsory) will hopefully be something like drawing a room plan, which hasn't been up since 2004. Any other ideas?

Best of luck to you all:)

I'd say a recession linked question will come up in Q3 or 4..

personally i doubt protein will come up as compulsory (like the structures etc...)

they have never repeated a topic in the compulsory question and they still have loads to ask ( minerals - iron n calcium have never come up )
    milling wheat has come up in so many mocks over the past few years and is always predicted , along with iron , but still hasn't appeared.. maybe this year if we're lucky =)

If a vitamin comes up i heard A , C , D .. Doubt it will though considering it was up last yr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

as a teacher all these predictions scare me a bit! by all means give an extra emphasis to areas mentioned above but bear in mind there has been a fair bit of repitition of topics from year to year on new home ec syllabus so DON"T eliminate anything, to avoid tears on the day!
    my own little tip is sensory analysis, give it half an hour just in case :D
    best of luck home ec students! x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

Lipids highly unlikely for the compulsory question one yes?

Oh and for resouce management what do you have to learn? Just inputs, throughputs and outputs?

as a teacher all these predictions scare me a bit! by all means give an extra emphasis to areas mentioned above but bear in mind there has been a fair bit of repitition of topics from year to year on new home ec syllabus so DON"T eliminate anything, to avoid tears on the day!
    my own little tip is sensory analysis, give it half an hour just in case
    best of luck home ec students! x

Don't worry - covered everything but its just the last day or two its good to have some topics to focus on =)

Going to revise sensory analysis now.. if it comes up i know who to thank.. and if it doesn't i know who to blame... =)
    Oh and for resouce management what do you have to learn? Just inputs, throughputs and outputs?

Possible Questions -
    Explain components of management (inputs.. )
    Factors relating to management - size + composition , employment patterns , culture , values and standards etc
    Why Budget and guidelines for a household budget
    how the family acts a financial unit in the economy ( pay for goods and services , pay taxes , workforce etc )

Then maybe stuff like methods of credit payment , hire purchase , consumer credit act..

Those were the types of questions that came up on my mock.

Advertisement