Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different styles of writing in English?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I've completely forgotten some of them and what they are for! :confused:

I think narrative, language of the aesthetic,... and that's all i know :eek:

Can somebody post up the rest of them and what all of them mean please??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

I've completely forgotten some of them and what they are for! :confused:

I think narrative, language of the aesthetic,... and that's all i know :eek:

Can somebody post up the rest of them and what all of them mean please??

Argumentative, Narrative, Informative, Descriptive aandd.. I completly forget the last one.. ill remember later.

Anyways argumentative is basically a speech or article or whatever.. you can make it opinionated(use emotive language, anecdotes, take sides) or fact based in which case you would use some of the informative style..
    Eh descriptive is what it says on the tin, same with narrative.
    Informative is fact based and unbiased avoiding emotive language or taking sides and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Argumentative, Narrative, Informative, Descriptive aandd.. I completly forget the last one.. ill remember later.

Persuasive, like argument but more biased, less factual and more emotional..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

Thanks people! That really helped out a lot =D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

Anyways argumentative is basically a speech or article or whatever.. you can make it opinionated(use emotive language, anecdotes, take sides) or fact based in which case you would use some of the informative style..
    Eh descriptive is what it says on the tin, same with narrative.
    Informative is fact based and unbiased avoiding emotive language or taking sides and stuff!

the last is aesthetic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

remember things used to make writing effective:

-humour
    -rhetorical question
    -information(use of statistics etc)
    -anecdotes
    -first person narrative(we can connect with the writer)

theres more that i cant remember!!

Advertisement