Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Tidy Towns anyone?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Looking into the possibility of setting up a tidy towns group for Rush with aim of entering competition in 2011. Anyone interested or know of others who may be interested?

<snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Great Idea!!

Rush is in dire need of a tidy towns committee the main st and surounding areas are looking very shabby and run down when you look at skerrie and what there committee do rush is a million miles behind in looking afte the town and putting pressure on the a$$holes in the FCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

If you make enquirey at Rush community centre they will put you in touch with some people who used to run tidy towns.

In fairness to locals they DID put plenty of pressure on F.C.C and politicans over many years but as we did not have an elected rep we were constantly overlooked in favour of towns who had a rep.

Also Rush chamber of commerce has been reformed and I believe there is huge interest. Might be good timing on your part Kickstart

The chamber of commerce has organised a clean up day for this Saturday. Saw the posters up the Main Street this evening.

Meet at 9am at the park opposite Harbour Bar.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Eirgrid stuff goes in the Eirgrid thread.

Rush Tidy Towns stuff goes in the Rush Tidy Towns thread.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kickstart

Good timing indeed it seems LeoB. I'll be at the harbour tomorrow morning at 9am with my shovel and spade! I heard that a new chamber of commerce had been set up & made contact with them earlier this week and yes they are looking at setting up the Tidy Towns committee in next 2 to 3 weeks. Good to hear as I was a bit apprehensive about thoughts of trying to get recruits off my own back. You do need numbers and community backing in starting something like this and I would hate to start and then have it gradually peter out.

So after all the complaining I've done about the state of the main street etc I have to say I actually feel some sense of relief to finally be getting involved in this and hopefully making a positive contribution to the town:).

• Advertisement

Fair dues to you for getting involved. Why not get in touch with some of the other local groups for advice & support while you are getting it off the ground? Contact details for the Skerries group can be found here.

Thanks for the advice HB. Will definitely look into it.

There were a few very good people involved in Tidy towns before and I think with a few new faces they will do a good job.

I dont actually see myself getting very involved as I coach kids 3 evenings a week and have matchs every week end.

Perhaps a club day where members of various clubs will get out and support and help Tidy Towns committee might work. Good luck with it and really hope it goes well.

Super job done today in Rush. Well done to all who got stuck in. The difference on the Main St after 1 day is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Full_TiltKeith

LeoB wrote: »
    Super job done today in Rush. Well done to all who got stuck in. The difference on the Main St after 1 day is great.

Well done guys, saw you when I was out and about, sorry I hadn't the time to lend a hand

• Advertisement

They are hoping to meet up at the church car park this weekend at 9am to do the other end of Rush. Its great to see what was done at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Lads, I don't know who did the painting on the houses on the main street - presume it was you guys!! - but you've done a super job and it looks great. Fair play to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I totally agree fantastic job just on another note who owns those derilict houses the council?

They are hoping to meet up at the church car park this weekend at 9am to do the other end of Rush. Its great to see what was done at the weekend

There was a lad painting a house down the lower Main St today and the difference is amazing, gives the whole place a lift. Just noticed the other houses they done and the place is beginning to look a bit like Schull with the vibrant colours.

dan_d Some of the houses are privatly owned and some by developers. The local developers are getting stuck in this work also.

Well done to all. If I am off this Saturday I will help them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

LeoB wrote: »
    dan_d Some of the houses are privatly owned and some by developers. The local developers are getting stuck in this work also.

Maybe that should be addressed to Psygnosis?

Anyway, as I said well done to all, it's making the place look much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Well done to all involved in the painting done to the derelict houses on the main st. Its amazing what a lick of paint and a bit of get up and go can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Just like to say well done to all who did a great job on the main street. I had been abroad for a week and came back to a compleate new town. If I was not working on the weekend with communities in other parts of Dublin I would be out with you giving a hand. Lets us know if you are planning any fundraising events maybe even putting pressure on FCC community development section for assistance. If you don ask you wont get.

Again great work by all involved.

About 30 of us turned up on sat morning and with the high viz jackets on we were like an army moving up gradually towards the main st! We got great support/comments from people just passing. The plan is to meet at 9am again this sat morning at the church carpark and there may possibly be one more clean up day the following saturday...i'm not quite sure.

This has all been organised by Michael Coffey of the newly formed Chamber of Commerce and he hopes to get a tidy towns committee together after this. For the moment its just a case of anyone and everyone getting stuck in to spruce up the place!

Also, if you haven't the time to help out they are planning a few fundraising events with the first one on next friday 26th in the Strand Bar (a table quiz if my memory serves me correctly) and one or two more to follow.

LeoB - you're idea of various clubs coming out to help a particular day is a good one. Will keep it in mind.

So lets hope we get some momentum going and get support from all quarters of Rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This thread has only caught my eye now. As someone who hadn't been in Rush in years but went through there three times on the bus the past couple of days I was well impressed at how clean and tidy the place was. :)

My, how it and Lusk have grown in size! :eek:

Larianne wrote: »
    My, how it and Lusk have grown in size! :eek:
    Flirting with the locals will get you a ban. HB :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hill Billy wrote: »

:o Didn't even cop that!

(It's not in bold so I think I'm okay!)

Hill Billy wrote: »

No it wont..... bouquet of flowers on the way to that lovely lady, you flirt away Larianne:):)

Pity we still have people destroying places like this.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4715177419_b0fb8d493a.jpg[/EMAIL]">

After such a good job been don on it last year.

Someone cleaned up the bridge just up from this in the woods and also cleaned up the wall at the opposite end of the woods done a great job in fairness looks perfect in fairness. They also took the massive red "LFC" that was put on the wall opposite the guards

Anyone know who done the clean was hoping they might have done the same to the lodge and the pillars too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

in fairness....... they did a load of great work.

maybe if they had a few extra spare hands they would have got to the work you wanted done....... hint hint.

dont take me wrong Im not knocking the effort it was most welcome to see.

Was it the tidy towns group or council ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ah i am kidding with you. i would have helped if i was in rush.

i think its the new reformed chamber of commerce driving the recent burst in the local activity.

i think a tidy towns will form on its coat tails.

search the forum for kickstart ( user) there is info in the events thread too i think

There is a Tidy towns group about to re formed. Fair play to everyone of them. The main street looks great and I saw the council putting shrubs in at the square last week.

They do know where Rush is;)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Great work done by all over the last 2 weekends. I do hope that Rush do start a Tidy Towns Group from my experience with councils is that they will give assistance when the pressure is put on them. That could be the key put pressure on the community development section If you dont ask you dont get.....

• Advertisement

Clean up volunteers meeting again this sat, 9am at church car park if I can entice any of you along! No long term commitment, just 2.5 hours and a few sambos/tea/coffee in the Strand Bar after.

Also, as the Blessing of the Graves is on this Saturday there are a few volunteers out at the graveyard today power hosing the walls and painting it to spruce up the place so all credit to them. Paint provided by FCC and labour by the locals. Great to have such community spirit back in Rush again!

Fingers crossed we'll get a good tidy towns committee formed on the back of this too. I did mention a fundraising event previously but unfortunately I gave the wrong date..thought it was the 26th when it was actually the 19th. However 2 more events organised...details in the Rush Community News if you want to support...70's night is one of them I think and something else that evades my memory at this minute.

All positive. So maybe with a bit more encouragement I'll see a few of you on saturday...;)

Advertisement