Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Tidy Towns anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Kickstart wrote: »
    Looking into the possibility of setting up a tidy towns group for Rush with aim of entering competition in 2011. Anyone interested or know of others who may be interested?

<snip>

Take a bow Deirdre and your collegues in Rush Tidy Towns.

From little seeds they say grows the sweetest fruit and this past weekend bears this out. You and the committee deserve great credit for what ye have done. The Tidy Towns committee have restored faith and pride in so many people.

I think the T.T committee will need to get some more High Vis vests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

New Beta website where you lodge local community issues i.e. potholes, drainage etc.

Could be useful to get council action.

http://fixyourstreet.ie/main

It's currently open for South County Dublin....but as far as I can see you can still lodge issues for NCD that will show on the map. A good tool for the community to use to see where the problems are and also to build a record for when it opens up to NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Maf180

When is the next tidy town saturday session in Rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kickstart

Next clean up session is Saturday 13th Aug meeting in the Church car park at 9.30am. Tools, brushes etc provided just recommend you bring a pair of gloves. Always delighted to see a new face too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Missed that one, when's the next?

• Advertisement

Sat 27th next clean up day. We'll be meeting at 9.30am in the church car park.

Kickstart wrote: »
    Sat 27th next clean up day. We'll be meeting at 9.30am in the church car park.
    Thanks

Well done to the leaders and members of Rush For Oige youth group who have got involved with the Tidy Towns and were busy with contribution to the project over the week end..

The built a nice rockery at the Park Road and will finish it next Saturday. There was a fair bit of work involved so well done to all involved. I will get photos next Saturday and post in thread.

The new trees are in on Main St and some were lit up this evening and I thought they looked great. Great boost to the Main St. Well done to all concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

LeoB wrote: »
    The new trees are in on Main St and some were lit up this evening and I thought they looked great. Great boost to the Main St. Well done to all concerned

New trees and lights do look great, however not sure about those oversized crates some of the trees are in.......man they're BIG ! Are they here to stay or just temporary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

eddiem74 wrote: »
    New trees and lights do look great, however not sure about those oversized crates some of the trees are in.......man they're BIG ! Are they here to stay or just temporary?

Totally agree they do look great but I have heard similar comments about the size of the containers. Not so easy to navigate around on certain parts of the Main Street paths if your a parent with a buggy or a wheelchair user. I can understand the reasons why they are so large, namely because the trees need a decent anchorage and that anchorage prevents the crates from getting knocked over by the late night tornado that seems to happen in Rush after the pubs close. Skerries certainly has a natural advantage with its wider paths.

As far as I know they are here to stay.

They look very big ok but I think when they have plants in them spilling over the sides they will look a lot better. I noticed outside the Ocean Inn they are in metal poles. Will the roots not damage the paths in future when planted like this? There are areas where trees have damaged the footpaths like Channel Road so the big box is a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

LeoB wrote: »
    As far as I know they are here to stay.

They look very big ok but I think when they have plants in them spilling over the sides they will look a lot better. I noticed outside the Ocean Inn they are in metal poles. Will the roots not damage the paths in future when planted like this? There are areas where trees have damaged the footpaths like Channel Road so the big box is a good alternative.

Here to stay...:( Mixed feelings on this one, I see the trees and lights and think the place looks great, but when I look at those containers they are just to big. It would of perhaps been better to trial a few rather than just jumping staight in with so many. Unfortately flowers or plants spilling over the edge will just further reduce space around them, and what will happen when the trees grow, wood rots, etc..?

So it is metal corsets poles some of the trees are in also? I assumed that driving by but thought, it can't be...not sure how that works when trees start growing?

I would wonder with the investment it trees, soil, containers, paint, plants, etc... would looking at artifical trees not have been an option? The metal poles might have then also been a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I was driving through Rush last Friday Night and really noticed how improved the Main street looked.
    It's great to hear a local community getting together to do this. You have done a great job with your town.

Here to stay...:( Mixed feelings on this one, I see the trees and lights and think the place looks great, but when I look at those containers they are just to big. It would of perhaps been better to trial a few rather than just jumping staight in with so many. Unfortately flowers or plants spilling over the edge will just further reduce space around them, and what will happen when the trees grow, wood rots, etc..?.
    I am unsure now about them also but at Least they can be moved. But the street was in bad need of something being done to give it a lift. Id imaginge they willbe small trees. Remember the hassle with Channel Rd and roots breaking the path? It was mentioned here by a fellow Boardsie during Eirgrid debate. It would help the Main St if the cables were put underground.
    So it is metal corsets poles some of the trees are in also? I assumed that driving by but thought, it can't be...not sure how that works when trees start growing?..?.

Wondered about these also. They are just metal poles with branches from woods hanging out or sticking out of holes. Clever idea for hanging lights out of
    I would wonder with the investment it trees, soil, containers, paint, plants, etc... would looking at artifical trees not have been an option? The metal poles might have then also been a good option.

Might be worth mentioning this to some of the committee
    Kumsheen wrote: »
    I was driving through Rush last Friday Night and really noticed how improved the Main street looked.
    It's great to hear a local community getting together to do this. You have done a great job with your town.

Great work has been done by the Tidy Towns group. They have put in huge hours on week ends and evenings. There was a large group of people involved but Peter Smullen went above and beyond the call of duty in the spirit of volenteering. It was not unusual to see Peter out at 4.30am during the summer. He would be out with a big water tank watering the Hanging baskets and doing other bits and then have his days work in his company Orby landscaping ahead of him and come back in the evenings and do some more.

Peter was a popular award winner of Rush Person of the year at Rush Chamber of Commerce annual awards and is pictured below with Mayor of Fingal Ken Farrell and Chairperson of Rush Chamber of Commerce Louise O'Loughlin

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6460908715_0195ab9a03.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Just thought I would bump this up a little.

Adopt a beach is up and running where by people/families can adopt a piece of one of our beachs, North, South or Harbour and keep it clean.

I will post more details tomorrow but they are meeting again this Saturday at 9am. Bag, gloves etc will be provided.

Well done to all.

Sorry I did not get back here during the week.

I went out with the tidy towns today and must say I was suprised at the amount of people who turned up. Kickstart and her crew of merry helpers went about their business in a very professional manner and they done a terrific job. Plenty of equipment from spades, shovels, litter pickers, Barrows, bags trailors and a great crew who went happily about their work. The nice day was a big help and there was a very jovial feel to all.

The next day is 14th April but you if the mood takes you you can always head to any of the beach's with your bags and gloves in your own time.

Great work done by Tidy towns last Saturday with the big beach clean up. Well done to member of For Oige who done terriffic work at South Beach.

Well done to Kickstart and her committee on their work through out theyear to make Rush a better place to live. Rush also improved by 9pts in national tidy towns awards. Hopefully more people will support Tidy Towns in the coming 12 months and Rush could well be in a position to challenge for Honours.

Well done to Skerries on the results.

When's the next clean up?

Spidermany wrote: »
    When's the next clean up?

We're on the wind down now so no set dates. We'll probably have some planting to do later in the year/early next year but for the moment we all need a break! We do have a text notification system so if you wish to be added to this you can either pm me your number or contact the community centre & they can add you to the list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement