Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

My understanding was about 55 a month with first 2 months half price... Would this be it?
    I have no idea. All I know is the van advertises it at €25 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Confirmed with Casey. 2 months half price. 55 a month thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Competition from the likes of Eir must be biting them so. No harm if it will keep them on their toes.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Competition from the likes of Eir must be biting them so. No harm if it will keep them on their toes.
    Well the Modem / router they supply is pure Junk. I have to power cycle it every few days because the wireless quits working and its the same over at my brothers house. Not only that but its not even wireless AC.

Then every once in a while I lose internet completely and every time I get the same answer from the engineer that its my computer , when I prove ite not my computer he tells me its a bad cable. A few days later it turns out to be a problem on their side. Instead of blaming the customers hardware every time they should look into wether its their own equipment first. I know very well what I am doing with my own computer and I do all the checks that need to be done before calling in the engineer. Not once has it ever been my equipment that was faulty when I lost internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yay, raised prices, lower speeds, and capped useage.

Let's all praise our new overlords.

Virgin Media broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the Services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB

:pac::pac::pac:

I have Virgin Media for broadband only in Waterford and have no cap. Regularly go over 500 gb a month. Monthly cost is 55 per month with no contract so not too dissimilar.

The TV service should be getting a huge boost especially if you want HD services. I can't comment too much on that though as I don't subscribe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eeloe wrote: »
    Virgin Media broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the Services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB

:pac::pac::pac:

Thats very much out of date info.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats very much out of date info.

It's from their own website.....

https://www.virginmedia.ie/terms/usage-policy/

• Advertisement

It's from their own website.....

https://www.virginmedia.ie/terms/usage-policy/

From the same link

From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

i dont actually know how i haven't seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Any idea if there will be a new router rollout with Virgin? My wireless has been spotty the last few weeks at best and the 5G doesn't connect at all.

Regulator has to ok it first so could be months before Virgin buys it

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

We will have to wait a while longer so for a VIRGIN to come to town.

anyone heard any more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Has there been any problem with Cablesurf speed from past one week?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

Download speed has been slower for the last few days. Upload speed is still the same really. Problems with wireless on one occasion also. Maybe working on the network for Virgin to take over the servers.

Lemon_Drop wrote: »
    Download speed has been slower for the last few days. Upload speed is still the same really. Problems with wireless on one occasion also. Maybe working on the network for Virgin to take over the servers.

Was thinking the same that it's all as a result of possible switchover to Virgin media. From past one week, sometimes the speed would just drop to dead slow both wireless and wired. And, as you have said, wireless has sometimes been totally functionless. Hope things would correct in a short time. Anyway I'm calling the office on Monday and would update here, if I get some news from them.

I've noticed the wifi connection at work and at home has been flakey for the last few weeks.

hopefully things improve soon.

• Advertisement

Called the Cablesurf office today; no mention of any maintenance work going on. So, decided to see for few more days before getting the technician for a look-up.

Noticed the speeds were a bit jumpy alright.

Gfgepl3.png

Anyone seeing any changes in the last few days?

I saw that my 5G returned this morning before going to work but my the connection is still heavily lagging when trying to play any online games.

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    Anyone seeing any changes in the last few days?

I saw that my 5G returned this morning before going to work but my the connection is still heavily lagging when trying to play any online games.

I too experienced few times reduced speeds today morning.

Just got a letter in the door from Virgin saying the switch over has begun.

Just got a letter in the door from Virgin saying the switch over has begun.

Not a hell of a lot in the letter really. Just an a assumption that because you were with Casey's you are now going to be a Virgin Media customer. I don't think that people on any kind of contract with Casey's. You paid in advance monthly for a service. I know I never signed any kind of contract.

Anyway I will wait for letter 2 to inform me of what changes if any will be made.

Just as a matter of interest, I was changing my phone at the Vodafone Shop in the shopping centre. After getting the phone you know the usual questions they ask,one was about internet and I told them I they could offer me 100mb download. They where saying that they will be able to offer 1gb download speeds in 3 months, that the cable was in Ardmore at the moment.

Maybe something to keep an eye on, and not get bogged down will long contracts what any ISP. I do know that they were rolling out 1gb speeds over a year ago , but they were starting somewhere in the midlands.

There is 1gb internet in some estates in town. Through Eir.

There is 1gb internet in some estates in town. Through Eir.

I did not know that. I will wait until the outcome of this takeover plays out and see what happens, like most people I suppose.
    I don't know anything about the quality of service from Eir. And I think Vodafone are not far behind, so we got lots of options with ISP's compared with 20 years ago when Casey's were the only ones to go with as the others were on dial up phone lines.

I did the check on the Eir site. Can't get it yet, but if its in town it won't be long to wait.

After all they all want money.

EIR internet speed is as reliable as a LADA. I know people in IT who say you pay for 1GB internet speed and 90% of the time you will be lucky to get 10Mb/s internet speed

• Advertisement

I heard a few people are getting letters about their routers being updated in the near future by (Now) Virgin Media. Anyone gotten one yet?

Advertisement