Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Can anyone recommend the fastest, most consistent broadband provider in Dungarvan? Are the options Casey's, Sky, Eir?

I am going to be working at home and good speeds around the clock will be fairly crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    Let us know how it works out later - Might be worth finding out if we can update the software for the rest of us.

As for last night I couldn't even watch a Youtube video in 144p without it stopping and stalling. Tried to do a speed test and it kept failing.

got the upgrade and havent noticed any difference. same speeds as before

anyone heard of any rumors of virgin media in dungarvan, saw a virgin media van parked outside a house in the abbeyside area recently. wondering if this means movement, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've seen a UPC (now Virgin) van around for a long time. My guess is its an employee who works in Waterford but lives in Dungarvan or Abbeyside

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

According to the Virgin Media support "We have no plans for Fibre in Dungarvan for the foreseeable future" (6 months).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Been having serious issues with the new router for the past couple of weeks.

Currently waiting to arrange a time for the engineer to call around and adjust some settings, they done some kind of test on the line, and there appears to be a lot of congestion around where i'm living, so hopefully they'll manage to sort it.

From 6pm Friday - 11pm Sunday night, no wifi in the house, no device would even connect to the router, it kept saying the WPA key was incorrect, even tho, every device in the house was previously connected using the same WPA key.

Mines been dreadful since Christmas week.

Always around the same time. I would be accepting if it was just one device but I have 3 devices on my router and all of them suddenly become shockingly slow around this "magic time". I wouldn't mind if it was every now and again but to have it happen every night is frustrating because it's my only time Mon - Fri to use it.

If Virgin Media or Eir Fiber ever get into gear I'll be swapping immediately. Cheaper price, faster speeds and assurance that'll work will suit me down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

We are using Alphawave off Mt.Stuart, very reliable 3MB.

3mb, i wouldn't be able to handle that kinda speed....terrible IMO!

It would be fine for general web browsing.

There's a good chance it would be able to hold up YouTube.

It might be able to try and keep Netflix going at standard quality.

3MB download is livable to be completely honest it would take about 5 seconds to load a webpage. HOWEVER the thing that kills Alphawave for me is the 512KB upload.

The amount of things I have to do for work like remote logging in and uploading very large documents, it would actually be faster for me to put it on a USB drive and post it to myself.

(Mind you at the moment I'm only getting 1,514KB per second upload on my home connection)

Testing at Work with Eir Fibre:
    50 MB download
    43.4 MB Upload

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering moving to Eir Fiber at home, seems to be pretty stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Celtarion

eeloe wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering moving to Eir Fiber at home, seems to be pretty stable.

I would definitely not recommend to move to Eir Fiber at all, the customer service is absolutely the worse I've ever faced. Consider DIGIWEB for fiber but depends of your need anyway and if your area is covered. The speed is way faster than Eir Fiber.

jaytobe wrote: »
    We are using Alphawave off Mt.Stuart, very reliable 3MB.

This is the weirdest company I ve seen so far when placing an order for one of my customer. They will get 4Mb for 32€ but that's the only thing they can get or Satellite. But so far it works, the only thing is the lack of communication as to know when, who, how long, etc...

I didn't enjoy placing the order, not a good experience, lack of follow up as well is a huge miss.

Anyway, it's now working but after installing the router, the guy asked the payment of the installation by cash only! I found it weird since Alphawave never mentioned anything about it (well they rarely give lots of detail about what they will do for you), so I refused and the guy handed over a paper for the Sepa that was the cost of... the installation! haha.

Celtarion wrote: »
    I would definitely not recommend to move to Eir Fiber at all, the customer service is absolutely the worse I've ever faced. Consider DIGIWEB for fiber but depends of your need anyway and if your area is covered. The speed is way faster than Eir Fiber.

dont digiweb have a low fair usage limit? most of any offers i saw were 40 gb or 350 gb a month.

hotshot88 wrote: »
    dont digiweb have a low fair usage limit? most of any offers i saw were 40 gb or 350 gb a month.

According to their website "unlimited data" for 49,95€

According to their website "unlimited data" for 49,95€

from their website

"Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 350GB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service."

always read the small print, you'd be surprised what certain isp's tuck away in there

from their website

"Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 350GB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service."

always read the small print, you'd be surprised what certain isp's tuck away in there

Indeed! But in all fairness, I had a look at my traffic I hardly exceed 300GB a month...! I suppose that the number of people exceeding 350GB is quite low I think.

Indeed! But in all fairness, I had a look at my traffic I hardly exceed 300GB a month...! I suppose that the number of people exceeding 350GB is quite low I think.

pherhaps, if you were living solo its prob enough,

but if theres two or three kids plus a partner browsing and streaming on a daily basis, thats where its falls short.depends on what you use the broadband for and how many devices with updates you use(laptops, phones, tv box, netflix,etc) all adds up. im not knocking the service, but when im paying for unlimited, thats what i like it to be

pherhaps, if you were living solo its prob enough,

but if theres two or three kids plus a partner browsing and streaming on a daily basis, thats where its falls short.depends on what you use the broadband for and how many devices with updates you use(laptops, phones, tv box, netflix,etc) all adds up. im not knocking the service, but when im paying for unlimited, thats what i like it to be

Yep I know what you mean! I share with someone else, but believe me, she is a countless gigabytes user, and we have lots of stuff connected via the router.

But do we watch 350 movies of 1GB?? no, never. We don't have TV either. But I agree unlimited means what it means.

Digiweb has a very good service, Sales and customer service. I had to switch with them as they bought SmartTelecom which was excellent. And I never encountered any problems at all.

Should anyone wants to switch to Digiwebm let me know they have a referral/customer incentives, they do offer 30€ off on the next bill for new customers and for the person who referred the new customer :D

anyone using caseys new routers figure out the login/password for them yet, the technicolor ones. cant seem to figure it out

• Advertisement

anyone using caseys new routers figure out the login/password for them yet, the technicolor ones. cant seem to figure it out

I used to be able to login with username: Admin and blank password but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I've tried a few different of the usual combinations but doesn't seem to be working unless they changed it.

Has anyone recently signed up to broadband in Dungarvan and been happy with their service. I'm looking for fast, reliable, consistent broadband up and down - does it exist? (moving there soon - to the Abbeyside area)

Bonkers.ie tells me these are the options.
    http://postimg.org/image/e58048jan/

I'd say check with some of the larger companies first off like Eir to see if they can guarantee you decent speeds. If not I'd check with our most local provider Casey's Cablesurf.

I'm not sure about the total coverage in Abbeyside.

I have Cablesurf myself and over Christmas it wouldn't work from 19:00 until 00:00 but in the last 2 weeks or so the speed has started to hop off the walls (in a good way). At the moment it's fine but it could be a different story tomorrow.

My sister has Sky broadband and it's fine for her normal web browsing and Netflix.

I've heard lots of good things about Eir Fiber so they could be a good choice. If you enter your address into their website they should be able to tell you what speeds you can expect.

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I used to be able to login with username: Admin and blank password but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I've tried a few different of the usual combinations but doesn't seem to be working unless they changed it.

got it

for the technicolor routers

admin(all small caps)
    W2402

Looks like Caseys has deemed us all to be worthy of the improved but still rather pathetic upload speed of 5 meg

admin(all small caps)
    W2402

I actually just checked my saved passwords in Chrome and it's saved as Username: Admin
    Password:

So that's strange as I'm sure I was checking ports in Jan/Feb
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Looks like Caseys has deemed us all to be worthy of the improved but still rather pathetic upload speed of 5 meg

The upload should be at least 20MBPS considering the current state of the download speeds. I'd even settle for 10 so I could upload some work projects from home.

What kind of download speeds are you getting with Casey's these days?
    I need to sign up with someone for broadband soon as really need the best provider. Is it Casey's?

60 - 70. People I know with the new modem get 200 +

What kind of download speeds are you getting with Casey's these days?
    I need to sign up with someone for broadband soon as really need the best provider. Is it Casey's?
    I have one of the *new* routers.

To Waterford:
    5256453534.png

To Dublin:
    5256455498.png

To London:
    5256457883.png

• Advertisement

Currently getting 198 down and 0.01 upload!

I hate my life right now! Tethering off my phone for the weekend it is.

Advertisement