Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

After many complaints about my connection they begrudgingly changed the router but not until they blamed everything but them or the equipment for the problem. No surprises that it has been fine since they changed my router. The lads sent out to me are clueless and absolute spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

eeloe wrote: »
    Currently getting 198 down and 0.01 upload!

I hate my life right now! Tethering off my phone for the weekend it is.

I've just done this speedtest now.

5360592191.png

I'm actually shocked the that Upload speed it that high however my Android TV Box is stopping and stalling like crazy.

On an unrelated note. Does anyone else have a 5G Router?

I originally had my phone hooked up due to the speed the phone could handle but as of late it can't be found when I search for Wi-Fi, only the 2G one can be located. Anyone know the story there?
    lertsnim wrote: »
    After many complaints about my connection they begrudgingly changed the router but not until they blamed everything but them or the equipment for the problem.

I had one of the lads here not too long ago and he blamed my phone for when I couldn't get a Wi-Fi signal (because when I can pick up Wi-Fi at work, downtown and the neighbour's Eir clearly it's my phone that's the issue), my brand new PC's network card was blamed as being faulty and my favourite one "You have too many devices connected to your router" (No I don't because I couldn't get a signal)

Their website says they offer 420 meg now. Anybody getting anywhere close to that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm giving them one more call this week.

If they can't sort it I'm going with Eir, slightly more expensive, but a friend of mine that lives a few doors away is getting 50down and 20up constantly!

lertsnim wrote: »
    Their website says they offer 420 meg now. Anybody getting anywhere close to that?

Vodafone Speed tests always give the highest output and it's not even returning half of that.

I'd prefer consistency more than anything at this stage.

• Advertisement

Last night and tonight the Internet has been downright unusable. Can't even access Speedtest to even try and get a reading. Using my Mobile 4G to get online, anyone else having issues?

No complaints here.

Mines dodgy all evening too! :(

Absolute disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

I signed up with Caseys.
    Very happy so far.

Wired, I am getting 350-430MBps download speeds 24/7, about 30MBps upload.
    Wireless on the 5G I get around 300 down. 25 up.
    The 5G doesn't reach other rooms in my house but the 2G isn't bad for that.
    I also have 3 wired network points in the house, which helps.

I signed up with Caseys.
    Very happy so far.

Wired, I am getting 350-430MBps download speeds 24/7, about 30MBps upload.
    Wireless on the 5G I get around 300 down. 25 up.
    The 5G doesn't reach other rooms in my house but the 2G isn't bad for that.
    I also have 3 wired network points in the house, which helps.

The issue with mine is that during the day it's fine but I'm at work during the day so I can't take advantage of it.

This is the same issue I had at Christmas which lasted until March. During the evening time the speed and connectivity dies. I can't connect on any of my devices and when it does connect simple things like watching a Youtube video becomes a harrowing experience. It buffers after 4 seconds of play time even on 240p and once it buffers it won't play again because it returns a message that it can't connect to the internet.

Over Christmas I called Casey's a couple of times and I had screenshots to show the technician and when I went to show him he basically just scoffed them off and said they didn't matter. He then tests the line sees that it works and then off he goes.

Everything from the last time is also repeating, some have the issue and some don't. Some suffer no connectivity at all and some can barely connect.

I'm not trying to be difficult with anyone, I just want to be able to watch a Youtube video in peace which it was fully capable of doing last week and now it can barely stay connected. So if whatever has changed in the last week or so can be rolled back I'm guessing everything would be fine.

I heard that last time they were using some route through the UK which was overloaded and that was why it's as bad as it was. I can only assume that the exact same thing is happening and it's incredibly frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

how can their results vary so wildly around the town, the mind boggles.

I'm back to having to reset my router 2-3 times a week, no biggie tho, just a quick reset and it's back to working again, so no real down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 buggles8501

I know this is an old thread but it's also the most recent on Cablesurf, and if I stumbled across it, there's a chance others may too. Just wanted to share my two cents on Cablesurf Dungarvan. The internet, when it works, is nice and fast. The "when it works" bit is the issue. In my opinion, it stops working more frequently than is acceptable. When it does stop working, getting someone out to fix it is the issue. Cablesurf's website claims to have "Great Support" and "If anything goes wrong with your service, we're always here to quickly help you get back up and running". I had to chuckle when I read this, because it's completely untrue. Unbelievably, there is zero after-hours support. So if your internet stops working outside of business hours (9:30 - 5), you're out of luck. If it goes down on a Friday evening, you'll be without it all weekend and possibly until Tuesday or Wednesday because even if you ring them the moment they open, it's unusual for them to get someone out the same day. As someone with an at-home business that is reliant on internet, it's not acceptable to be without it for days at a time. I would strongly advise against going with Cablesurf and choose a provider that actually supports their product. But if you're okay with internet that frequently goes down, having to reset your router every week, and shoddy service when it really stops working, then Cablesurf is definitely for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AOWAO.de

I mainly disagree with buggles8501 last post.

I am with Cablesurf for 8 years now and appart from an obsolete router (that they replaced as soon as they found out that I still used it) there was never any trouble at all.

For me it all works very reliable. It is fast as hell even on a Weekend night and typical rushhours.

The support for me always worked very fast. I walked into the office in the morning to let them know I moved house and they've send someone out in the afternoon to make sure the router works in the new house. For free!

Well, the service and office is only available during office hours. True, but that doesnt bother me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

AOWAO.de wrote: »
    I mainly disagree with buggles8501 last post.

I am with Cablesurf for 8 years now and appart from an obsolete router (that they replaced as soon as they found out that I still used it) there was never any trouble at all.

For me it all works very reliable. It is fast as hell even on a Weekend night and typical rushhours.

The support for me always worked very fast. I walked into the office in the morning to let them know I moved house and they've send someone out in the afternoon to make sure the router works in the new house. For free!

Well, the service and office is only available during office hours. True, but that doesnt bother me at all.

But cablesurf knew that you had an old router and couldn't be bothered to change it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 buggles8501

@AOWAO, glad you've had a better experience than me. Curious where in Dungarvan you live? I'm in Abbeyside.
    The internet is unbelievably fast when it does work, I agree with you on that. That's why I've held off on switching. But the lack of customer service, to me, is unacceptable.
    They have a forum on their website ("Drop us a line") where you can send them a message. I've tried doing that 3 times but they've never responded or rang me as requested. The last time my internet went down, it was Saturday evening. I rang them as soon as they opened (Monday at 9:30!) and they told me they probably wouldn't be able to get someone out that day. It wasn't until Tuesday evening that they fixed it. If I provided that kind of service to my customers and treated them in the same manner, I wouldn't have any customers.
    I'm awaiting a quote from one additional provider and then I'll be switching and done with this nonsense. I'll have to pay slightly more per month, but it'll be worth it to have reliable internet and customer service that isn't useless and unapologetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

So Eir doing the rounds west of Dungarvan i.e. Grange/Old Parish/Ardmore in the last week.
    01 Nov the exchange is live they say for 'up to 100Mb'. No min speed guarantee.
    What is the credibility of these guys around? Hearing Ring will have fibre optic to each house but there has been delays?

jaytobe wrote: »
    So Eir doing the rounds west of Dungarvan i.e. Grange/Old Parish/Ardmore in the last week.
    What is the credibility of these guys around? Hearing Ring will have fibre optic to each house but there has been delays?

Not much. They don't have a bulls notion what they are selling and Eir don't give a toss about the promises they make to get a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

my3cents wrote: »
    Not much. They don't have a bulls notion what they are selling and Eir don't give a toss about the promises they make to get a sale.
    Have they rolled this out in rural Waterford so far do you know?
    Any local feedback on speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

Have they rolled this out in rural Waterford so far do you know?
    Any local feedback on speeds?

I have a few mates who have had eir and live in both Dungarvan town and out in the rural areas, they couldn’t recommend them at all, speed was bad and signal was worse, they were all asking if I could recommend anyone else

I’ve had some who had sky and said that the speed was decent, and cable surf is cablesurf, it’s ok so long if you don’t mind paying a premium for it, aside from Vodafone those are the mainstream options

• Advertisement

I know 4 people who signed up with Eir in the past few months and three of them had nothing but regrets. TV regularly not working, broadband dismal and it takes Eir an age to do something about it. They are back to their previous providers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

Hi all

wondering if anyone could verify this rumor i heard
    I heard a few whispers going round that Virgin are trying to either do a partnership with Casey's Cablesurf or buy them, i have a few friends who go into the shop to pay their bill with them and they supposedly overheard it whilst paying their bill

Anyone else heard anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I heard that rumour three years ago so I wouldn't put any faith in the rumours.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if Virgin were to takeover. It would at least offer a realistic alternative for pay tv as what Casey offers tv wise should be seen as nothing but embarrassing. I never had issues with Casey's broadband like others on here when I subscribed and since then I now have Virgin broadband and I don't have a problem with that either. It is flawless for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I heard that rumour three years ago so I wouldn't put any faith in the rumours.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if Virgin were to takeover. It would at least offer a realistic alternative for pay tv as what Casey offers tv wise should be seen as nothing but embarrassing. I never had issues with Casey's broadband like others on here when I subscribed and since then I now have Virgin broadband and I don't have a problem with that either. It is flawless for me.

Do you know, if moving from Eircom, and taking the Casey phone service as well as broadband, can you move your number with them like you can with UPC?

Do you know, if moving from Eircom, and taking the Casey phone service as well as broadband, can you move your number with them like you can with UPC?

afaik you can, legally Eir have to facilitate this. A neighbor after a fight with Eir even managed to get their land line number transferred to one of the satellite operators.

my3cents wrote: »
    afaik you can, legally Eir have to facilitate this. A neighbor after a fight with Eir even managed to get their land line number transferred to one of the satellite operators.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I thought. Unless Casey does not facilitate taking numbers on their phone service?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Caseys Van is going around advertising 420Mb/s internet for €25 a month. I am getting no more than 248Mb/s for €55.60 a month. My computer has megabit ethernet input and I am using a good Cat5e cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How does one get it for €25?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    How does one get it for €25?
    If I knew that I most certainly wouldnt be paying €55.60 a month.

• Advertisement

Steve30x wrote: »
    If I knew that I most certainly wouldnt be paying €55.60 a month.

My understanding was about 55 a month with first 2 months half price... Would this be it?

Advertisement