Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITB issue - pain on wrong side?

• 08-06-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has ever seen/had the same injury symptoms?

I've been off the bike for a number of years after my knee gave out (mostly cycling at the time, but some running too). I went to a few Physio's and got a different diagnosis from each, from Patellar Tendonitis to a re-imergance of a rugby injury when I was 12!!!! I guess I shouldn't go back too far in case history. I can't cycle more than about 70Km on a road bike before it gets sore.

Anyway - recently I had an MRI scan on the knee, as I'd love to be back on the bike. The only evidence of injury was a clear build up of fluid under the ITB at the knee and a bone edema opposite it. But the point I have in my knee is always on the inside - not around the ITB! Never even considered ITB as a possible cause.

Realising this is no substitute for professional advice, has anyone ever had an ITB issue manifest itself like this? It's been killing me to stop all cycling so looking forward to getting it fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

My dad had agony from his back for years and years, every kind of a diagnosis.
    But when he had cartilage removed from his knee his back became 100%.
    Treat any problem from the MRI and go from there would be my advice.
    Bryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I had mine flair up a bit this year, but not like that, mine was outside of the knee and up near the bottom of my pellvis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

AdamAntsy wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has ever seen/had the same injury symptoms?

I've been off the bike for a number of years after my knee gave out (mostly cycling at the time, but some running too). I went to a few Physio's and got a different diagnosis from each, from Patellar Tendonitis to a re-imergance of a rugby injury when I was 12!!!! I guess I shouldn't go back too far in case history. I can't cycle more than about 70Km on a road bike before it gets sore.

Anyway - recently I had an MRI scan on the knee, as I'd love to be back on the bike. The only evidence of injury was a clear build up of fluid under the ITB at the knee and a bone edema opposite it. But the point I have in my knee is always on the inside - not around the ITB! Never even considered ITB as a possible cause.

Realising this is no substitute for professional advice, has anyone ever had an ITB issue manifest itself like this? It's been killing me to stop all cycling so looking forward to getting it fixed.

Hi There, ITB issues are usually the result of a too narrow Q-factor.
    This is how far your feet are appart, while attached to the pedals. so for instance, someone with broad hips is more lightly to suffer ITB-Band friction syndrome, than skinny climber guy.

I use speedplay pedals, with 1/4" longer than standard spindles. These give me perfect alignment of my hips, knees and ankles.
    alternatively, you could try look Keo Max pedals. These have a longer threaded portion, enabling 2mm washers to be installed between pedal and crank-arm.

Firstly, you need to stop cycling for about 2 weeks, maybe longer. The inflammation of your ITB-Band, needs to calm down a little. Apply an ice pack, a few times a day. Maybe you could ask your doctor about some anti-inflammatory medication.

You could also get a professional bike fit done.
    Perhaps your saddle is a little too low, or is too far forward. or maybe you could have the wrong length crank-arms, fitted to your bike???

There are lots of physio-therapists, that are well qualified at treating sports injuries. But very few have any cycling specific training:(

I hope this helps:)

Happy Cycling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

Cheers for the tips - I got a fit performed at a well-known bike shop (I've been off the bike 3 yrs) but not sure any measurement of the q-factor was done. I'm 6'4" and have a slightly too-large bike frame. The fit did get me onto the bike with only a marginal saddle adjustment back off the one I had dialled in 'naturally'.

Peddle wise I'm using SPD-SLs with 5 deg float cleats. I'm thinking of splashing out on the more comprehensive looking fit advertised using video analysis, flexability testing etc... place in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Cheers for the tips - I got a fit performed at a well-known bike shop (I've been off the bike 3 yrs) but not sure any measurement of the q-factor was done. I'm 6'4" and have a slightly too-large bike frame. The fit did get me onto the bike with only a marginal saddle adjustment back off the one I had dialled in 'naturally'.

Peddle wise I'm using SPD-SLs with 5 deg float cleats. I'm thinking of splashing out on the more comprehensive looking fit advertised using video analysis, flexability testing etc... place in Dun Laoghaire.

I suffer symptoms the same as yourself , pain right in under the kneecap . I went to see a local sports physio here in Waterford who's very much into cycling . He diagnosed that I had PFJ syndrome ( Patella Femoral Joint) whereby ITB muscles ( on the outsuide of your thigh) become so strong from cycling that they overpower the " central thigh" muscle and create an imbalance in your thigh . The ITB muscle is so strong it " pulls" your kneecap ( patella) slighly out of alignment , thus causing pain under the kneecap . He gave me simple exercises to do that can rebalance the thigh muscles and it seems to be working for me ....but I'm no doctor / physio so it would be worth getting medical advice . Could be nothing to do with you bike fit .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DARKIZE

Actually there are many physios and physical therapists who have a cycling background (check out irishcycling.com and you'll see a banner ad for at least one).

Its worth getting your leg lengths checked and also bear in mind that you can buy pedal spacers, shims for shoe plates etc to address any discrepancies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Typical, I was reading this post this morning, reflecting on how I haven't suffered any ITBS pain this year, unlike the last time I cycled this much about 4 years ago.

Sure enough, I go for a run at lunchtime, and it's back.

Can anyone recommend a physio in Cork who knows about this? When I had it last, I was living in Manchester and the physio I went to was helpless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I tried the Shimano SPD-SL pedal myself. Im not supprised about your problem. Lance Armstrong, even used these pedals with a 1.5mm spacers.
    You could try this yourself.

I am convinced your large size, and most lightly broad hips. Is the root of your problems.

You also need to check out the ( Ober Stretch) This is great for loosening up tight IT bands.

What brand of chainset do you use??? Between different manufacturers, the Q-Factor can be as much is 2cm:eek:

Best of luck:)

Happy Cycling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

Mostly Ultegra with FSA Chainring & cranks. The PFJ also has legs, pardon the pun as I had quit running and was solely biking to take a tilt at L'Etape. So it could have been a misalignment there, but after 3 yrs of nothing it's still sore despite having tried a range of leg exercises to balance.

The spacers on the pedals - these are to increase the distance between the pedals (q factor) I presume?

Once I get the GP to look at the MRI results then I'll be getting professional advice, but it's great to go into a pro armed with as much information as possible!

Advertisement