Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Reconditioned" cameras on ebay?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off on my travels in about two months and was hoping to pick up a half decent camera on the cheap before I go. I was having a look on ebay and have come across many cameras listed as "reconditioned" being sold at discounted prices. Is reconditioned just a different name for used?

Anyway, I like the look of this one, is it worth a punt?

OLYMPUS-MJU-STYLUS-TOUGH-6000-BLUE-DIGITAL-CAMERA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is reconditioned just a different name for used?

Sort of - I generally take it to mean that it's been returned for some minor defect and repaired. I think that Dell often sell reconditioned computers and accessories.

I've been tempted to take a punt on something like that occasionally, but it would have to be a decent saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

eoin wrote: »
    Sort of - I generally take it to mean that it's been returned for some minor defect and repaired. I think that Dell often sell reconditioned computers and accessories.

I've been tempted to take a punt on something like that occasionally, but it would have to be a decent saving.

I had a good look today and a new camera + delivery is working out at roughly €200. The same model reconditioned is €150. Worth it for €50 squids?

The reconditioned one is coming with a 3 month worldwide warranty but not sure how much use that'd be to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's hard to say; 25% discount for a used and/or repaired item isn't really a bargain IMO. I don't know much about digital cameras though.

Maybe check out the Photography forum and ask what the best camera you can get for €150 is like - and if it's worth taking a chance with a reconditioned one. Also maybe have a look on www.adverts.ie - if you'd consider a reconditioned unit, then it might be worth looking at second hand ones as well where you might get much better value for money.

Advertisement