Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mma, krav maga,thai boxing or judo waterford

• 08-06-2010 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

im looking to join a martial art in waterford, looking for practical self defense and something that will get me fit.

MMA seems the best option as it a mixture of bjj and thai boxing,(is there any advantage to just doing thai boxing or bjj on its own)

How does judo compare to bjj for practical self defense?

Whats krav maga like?Gimmick or real deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MMA seems the best option as it a mixture of bjj and thai boxing,(is there any advantage to just doing thai boxing or bjj on its own)

Well if you want to do MMA you'll have to find a mix of at least two styles otherwise your not training MMA!.. For self defence Muay Thai would be much better than BJJ, for fitness both will do the job.

How does judo compare to bjj for practical self defense?

Well Judo cover's both ground and of course, throw's & sweeps. BJJ cover's ground work alone. Both are very enjoyable, both are sports but for self defence I'd rather avoid the ground but I'm biased towards Judo naturally.

This is opening a bigger can of worms than trying to compare Judo with BJJ!.

Your best off doing a search!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Hi,

I am also originally form Waterford, but am living in Spain now. I started with MMA, and have trained in a few places in Ireland including Waterford MMA. I never did martial arts before and really liked MMA as it was a bit of everything and taught me how to blend it together.

Later after a while of MMA I trained a bit in Muay thai,judo,BJJ and Boxing seperately. Basically spending more time on areas I felt I was weaker at. By doing this I improved my MMA game over all.

So In a way i think if you are unsure which to do , MMA would be a good way of trying out mulitple styles.

With regards to self defence, there are many opinions on this, and it all depends on the situation you find yourself in (and how fast you are :p). So im not going to go through senarios where a certain art would be better than another, because its all relative. To that end in my opinion MMA would cover most areas you might find yourself in. (ie standing, clinch, ground.)

But again thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Hi OP I train down in Waterford MMA and Waterford Muay Thai down in the Lacken Business Park by the Lacken Wood housing estate. The gym is open every day except Sunday. (Excellent facilities aswell)
    Great bunch of lads and sound out. If you want to come down to have a look the adults class for Muay Thai is on tonight at 7.30 or come down tomorrow after 5 and John will be there. It's 7 euro a class. MMA is at 7.30 Mondays and Wednesdays at 7.30 and Friday at 6.30. Class varies each night could be wrestling, striking incorporating takedowns, no Gi BJJ or mix of all. Generally we roll at the end aswell so good class overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I was down in the Waterford Mauy Thai/MMA gym a few weeks ago, it's probably the best equiped martial arts gym I have seen in this country, definitly worth checking out I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    I was down in the Waterford Mauy Thai/MMA gym a few weeks ago, it's probably the best equiped martial arts gym I have seen in this country, definitly worth checking out I'd say.

There ya go OP, coming from Tim Murphy thats high praise indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

If you train regularly with the right people its great no matter what sport (2/3 nights a week, no 1 weekend crap) Steve Folan is your man down your way, he runs classes in Cork, Limerick and Waterford.

Details here.

http://kravmagacork.eu/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pipedev

Just to add my two cents,

I do Judo in Waterford (http://www.waterfordjudo.org/) - and its quite a good class - very welcome to begineers. I have also done BJJ in Cork. To answer your question I think between the two Judo would be better for self defence as in a "street situation" the last place you want to go is the ground - however personally I prefer BJJ - I find it to be a more cardio intensive workout and like the ground work. I would suggest try both.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Thanks very much Tim, that's praise indeed.
    showmetheway drop down anytime and I'll look after you or
    check us out at www.waterfordmuaythai.com

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Also thanks very much Odats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 john90x

Check the club stickies please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement