Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police scanners

• 08-06-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Are they illegal to own/use? Are they worth getting or do they just boring after a while?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

As far as I know not legal so thread closed. I will of course reopen if I am wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

TCP/IP wrote: »
    As far as I know not legal so thread closed. I will of course reopen if I am wrong.

Seems like they are legal to buy in Ireland if any of the other mods have input please PM me. Thread open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

My understanding is that they are legal to own but not legal to use :)

One of those grey areas I think

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i heard they are legal to use but not for criminal purposes would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

You can listen all you like but will hear nothing, the Garda use tetra now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cocoon wrote: »
    You can listen all you like but will hear nothing, the Garda use tetra now.

I don't know, TETRA, (Terrestial Trunked Radio) is brobably there but is it being used? :D

Pulse has been the biggest joke ever?

Computer consultants cost Garda €30m a year

Sunday, June 28, 2009 - By Ian Kehoe and John Burke

The government is paying €30 million a year to IT firms involved in maintaining the Garda computer networks.

Confidential documents seen by The Sunday Business Post show that the state is spending between €14million and €15 million a year maintaining and improving the Garda Pulse system, which is only operational in half of all Garda stations some 15 years after it was launched.

The €30 million consultancy bill is on top of the cost of the force’s internal IT department. BearingPoint , Microsoft Ireland Operations, Deloitte, Vantage Resources, Siemens, Fujitsu, Motorola and Computer Associates have all received consultancy contracts from the Garda in recent years, according to internal documents.

However, the high costs have become a concern for government, and the Garda Siochána are seeking to renegotiate a number of their long-term contracts.

The authorities have yet to secure a reduction in any of the contracts, which have fixed terms.

Negotiations are expected to continue in the coming weeks, as the force comes under mounting pressure from government to reduce costs in light of the poor public finances.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

I don't know, TETRA, (Terrestial Trunked Radio) is brobably there but is it being used? :D

The silence on your scanner will answer that question :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Advertisement