Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Tour de Burren

• 08-06-2010 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Anyone doing the Tour de Burren this year? Was meant to do it last year but got flu! Heard it was good..:D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Anyone doing the Tour de Burren this year? Was meant to do it last year but got flu! Heard it was good..:D

Can't do it this year :( but it was brilliant :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

will be doing it - if i get my bike sorted (broken shifter) by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm supposed to do this and the west cork 200 the next day. I was going to skip it and just do the WC200 but after spending a few days in north Clare and spinning on a bit of the circuit I gotta say I'm looking forward to it. Great reviews from last years event and its very well publicised around the area so looks like its on the must do list.... looking forward to the 'corkscrew' its gonna be a peloton splitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

looking forward to the 'corkscrew' its gonna be a peloton splitter.

Corkscrew is actually a very easy climb and doesnt do much damage at all .......strangely enough

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Corkscrew is actually a very easy climb

You aint seen me cycling!:o

So are many people thinking of doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I'm in - will be up with the Chain Gang mob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

CheGuedara wrote: »
    I'm in - will be up with the Chain Gang mob

Dont tell Che I said this but if you are needing a pull on the dead roads after Lisdoon to Liscannor there is no better train to Tag on to. They are well organised and don't really notice you :D

I'm typing small so he cant read this, sounds like a good idea to me, you know I've never seen one of those jerseys up close... [EMAIL="Ba@?"£ds"]Ba@?"£ds[/EMAIL] are always going too fast, I'll bring a rope and hook:D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Corkscrew is actually a very easy climb and doesnt do much damage at all .......strangely enough

Mind if I get on your back wheel on the way up:D

Esroh wrote: »
    Dont tell Che I said this but if you are needing a pull on the dead roads after Lisdoon to Liscannor there is no better train to Tag on to. They are well organised and don't really notice you :D
    I'm typing small so he cant read this, sounds like a good idea to me, you know I've never seen one of those jerseys up close... Ba@?"£ds are always going too fast, I'll bring a rope and hook:D

LOL - sure if you see us tag on, we might be pushing ourselves but we don't mind people joining in :Donce they take a turn at the front when it comes around!

We're expecting a good bunch to travel up to it but I'm not sure we'll get our latest signing in time for the ride though- Garmin-Transitions own Svein Tuft (R)

vet4p4.jpg

... the pace would definitely be up if he was around, sadly I think he's stuck into preparing for something in France...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

We're expecting a good bunch to travel up to it but I'm not sure we'll get our latest signing in time for the ride though- Garmin-Transitions own Svein Tuft (R)
    Cool.
    The story of how Svein started racing is great: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/sports/othersports/08cycling.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Many from Cork travelling up for this?Im thinking of travelling but think I might have to head on my own and dont particularly fancy the 2 and a half hour spin on my own at that hour haha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Mind if I get on your back wheel on the way up:D

No worrries..... all aboard

I'm supposed to do this and the west cork 200 the next day. I was going to skip it and just do the WC200 but after spending a few days in north Clare and spinning on a bit of the circuit I gotta say I'm looking forward to it.

Just signed up for it, looking forward to it...Will be a nice warm up for the ring of kerry!
    Thinking of doing the wc200 too depending on how the legs are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A friend of mine is doing this, might decide to pop along. Always nice to cycle somewhere new and after today, I'm getting a strange urge to wear my uber-fred uniform again.

Is it flat or hilly?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    A friend of mine is doing this, might decide to pop along. Always nice to cycle somewhere new and after today, I'm getting a strange urge to wear my uber-fred uniform again.

Is it flat or hilly?

Kinda both actually (not meaning to give a smart answer) - it's got its named climbs,

• Corker Hill (short, 400mtrs maybe and steep),
    • Corkscrew (longer but nothing mad, not severe in term of gradient and easier than many would make out) and
    • the Cliffs of Moher climb (long continuous drag but you're nearly home when you meet it so meh).

But the 'flat' county of Clare is actually very undulating so can take a bit more out of the legs than you might think over what would otherwise be inoccuous kms under the wheels so def feed yourself up at the food stops and bring spare gels etc just in case.

It's a very do able 160km and I'd def recommend it, one of the few unfaultable events I've been to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Kinda both actually (not meaning to give a smart answer) - it's got its named climbs,

• Corker Hill (short, 400mtrs maybe and steep),
    • Corkscrew (longer but nothing mad, not severe in term of gradient and easier than many would make out) and
    • the Cliffs of Moher climb (long continuous drag but you're nearly home when you meet it so meh).

But the 'flat' county of Clare is actually very undulating so can take a bit more out of the legs than you might think over what would otherwise be inoccuous kms under the wheels so def feed yourself up at the food stops and bring spare gels etc just in case.

It's a very do able 160km and I'd def recommend it, one of the few unfaultable events I've been to

I agree with CheGuedara - the flat country has some nice rolling hills that can be tough enough.

"The Corker" isn't bad at all ... it's a very short climb with a steep 100m at the end.

The climb into Carran village is tough enough - steady gradient all the way.

The Cork-screw isn't as bad as it sounds or looks. There are 5 or 6 switchbacks that make you feel like you're on a mini Alpine stage:D:D

If the wind is from the North, then the Cliffs of Mother climb is a killer! It's a very open road and that can make it very tough. If the wind is from the south, then all you have to worry about is a small steep bit of of the hill close to Liscannor.

As you can see from the image below, the total ascent is 1780m ... so it is fairly hilly!

attachment.php?attachmentid=116925&stc=1&d=1276518734

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Weather looks good. Might head up to do it. Did many do it last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

So its actually 150K rather than 160Km . I notice from the anpost.ie site that all of the anpost series are down as 160Km (sligo, seankelly, rebel tour,meath heritage) - is there some sort of Euro standardisation thing going on here ?

By the way has anyone mapped the route on mapmyride or another site that can be downloaded as a crs file ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

How does this event match up to the Croi cycle, is there as many water stops, or is a straight cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Limestone1 wrote: »
    So its actually 150K rather than 160Km . I notice from the anpost.ie site that all of the anpost series are down as 160Km (sligo, seankelly, rebel tour,meath heritage) - is there some sort of Euro standardisation thing going on here ?

Something to do with 160km equaling 100 miles perhaps? Was 100 miles a standard distance for this type of race back in the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

for the 160km route:-

There will be a water/ fruit stop afer 48 km. There will be a food station at the North Clare Sports and Amenity Park in Lisdoonvarna (72 km). Further water stops will be available in Lahinch on the Cliffs of Moher road (105km) and outside O’Donoghues Pub Fanore. There will also be a second food station at the Miko Russell Centre Doolin (130 km) and refreshments at the Sea Front in Ballyvaughan on return.

Tinder wrote: »
    How does this event match up to the Croi cycle, is there as many water stops, or is a straight cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I ll probably suffer to death, but I ll might pop and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

As you can see from the image below, the total ascent is 1780m ... so it is fairly hilly

I note the total ascent is 1780m rather than 2200 odd that the organisers had it down for. I'll settle for the lesser amount so:)

Is this a scenic cycle? I've been to Clare for surfing before, that's it.

Looks like I'm 100% for this now, should be able to stay in Galway and drive down on the morning.

Keep an eye out for me, I no longer have a boards jersey but I'll be on my blue bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

3.5 hour drive for me sat morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Signed up for this too, my first sportive :D Hopefully we get a good day for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Limestone1 wrote: »

By the way has anyone mapped the route on mapmyride or another site that can be downloaded as a crs file ?

Here's a slightly messy garmin version of it;

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7728024

Peterx wrote: »

Thanks..

Leisure spin with 28.5 kms/h avg speed? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

does anybody know how the timing chip system works? will it de/re-activate at the various stops?
    signed up for it and got my "pack" today! already looks like one of the better organised tours ive done

There were timing mats at the main food stop last year (I think)

The Tour de Burren 2009 was absolutely brilliant, Gardai outriders and marshalls at junctions, an unbelieveable amount of tasty and filling food at the stops, a good bunch of lads working away at the front, sunny shiny day, nice enough T-shirt. They had a king of the mountains thing going on which sated the competitive urges over 5 nominated climbs and that allowed everyone came back together again and rode on to the next climb.

It was everything that the WW200 should be and hasn't been and is the reason I'll never bother with the WW200 again.
    The tour de sligo a few weeks ago was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Did you fly back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

There were timing mats at the main food stop last year (I think)

The Tour de Burren 2009 was absolutely brilliant, Gardai outriders and marshalls at junctions, an unbelieveable amount of tasty and filling food at the stops, a good bunch of lads working away at the front, sunny shiny day, nice enough T-shirt. They had a king of the mountains thing going on which sated the competitive urges over 5 nominated climbs and that allowed everyone came back together again and rode on to the next climb.

It was everything that the WW200 should be and hasn't been and is the reason I'll never bother with the WW200 again.
    The tour de sligo a few weeks ago was very good too.

How many do it? Does everyone stay in a group? i.e are they all good riders? I would be hoping it is more along the lines of the ROK where there are plenty of people and groups etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sundaycottage

Looks like the weather will be good for Saturday. I see that they have over 800 signed up for the 60 and 160!!

yeah, myself and mellon and a few others have signed up for the 160k - will be the longest spin I have ever done so not sure how I will fair! Also hoping for plenty of group riding

• Advertisement

Officially signed up now. Just saw the "KOM" details, what a great idea! Not much chance of winning it, but it might be something to spice up the ride a bit more. Awesome!

NickDrake wrote: »
    How many do it? Does everyone stay in a group? i.e are they all good riders? I would be hoping it is more along the lines of the ROK where there are plenty of people and groups etc

plenty of groups to go round with, I had had fun futilely chasing KOM points and once we got over the Cliffs of Moher some fast boys who had taken it easy to that point let rip and I was shelled out the back of not one, not two but three groups who came through me. All good fun.

Still thinking about it, bit worried of the pace :/

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

AstraMonti wrote: »

Shouldn't worry about the pace. Of course there will be lads driving on at the front but there will be other groups who will be at a steadier pace.

There is a mixed ability group, including some junior riders, from West Clare CC and we will riding together at a steady pace and anyone is welcome to tag along.

You'll be grand - there'll be racers out gunning around the route challenging the KOM competition, people doing the distance for the first time and everything in between.

Just ride your own pace, work with groups you meet going the same kinda speed, feed yourself up at the food stops (esp if the cheesecake is on again this year!) and enjoy the scenery (it pains me as a county proud Kerryman to say it but it is a really nice part of the world)

• Advertisement

I am only worried, because it seems to be more racing oriented, and I am nowhere near that kind of fitness :D

wouldnt worry about it, yes their will be plenty of clubs taking part setting a high pace, but you dont have to be joining them. I am sure there will be plenty of slower groups.

I wont be racing around myself. A few of us will be doing 160k for the first time so will be pacing ourselves, and your welcome to join our group.

Right.. ok I ll be coming down then :)

Now to find a b&b..!

You'll be grand - there'll be racers out gunning around the route challenging the KOM competition, people doing the distance for the first time and everything in between.

Ah so it's a very serious thing? I'm not sure I'd be able to race 160km, I might try the first one and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Ah so it's a very serious thing? I'm not sure I'd be able to race 160km, I might try the first one and see how it goes.

Don't worry DirkVoodoo, it's not a serious thing. TBH - unless you get tucked in behind the lead car at the front towards the start of the cycle it's not likely that you'll be racing for KOM or any of that baloney.

My experience last year was that clubs stuck together and went at a speed which they would whilst out training etc, then you had individuals going faster/slower than that etc... basically all sorts.

It really is a fantastically organised event and one which i've been very much looking forward to. (now let's hope this cursed hayfever clears up :mad: )

anoble66 wrote: »
    wouldnt worry about it, yes their will be plenty of clubs taking part setting a high pace, but you dont have to be joining them. I am sure there will be plenty of slower groups.

I wont be racing around myself. A few of us will be doing 160k for the first time so will be pacing ourselves, and your welcome to join our group.

I ll happily accept the offer :) I ll be the tall guy with a white planetx and a boards jersey.

Dirk (or anyone else), I will be driving down Friday afternoon, around 4 I suppose, you are more welcome to come along if you like.

cool, I will be the small guy, on a black planet-x :D, with the white cosmic carbone's on. Probably a black and red altura jersey. see you there so

I ll happily accept the offer :) I ll be the tall guy with a white planetx and a boards jersey.

Dirk (or anyone else), I will be driving down Friday afternoon, around 4 I suppose, you are more welcome to come along if you like.

I am only worried, because it seems to be more racing oriented, and I am nowhere near that kind of fitness :D

Ah no, I wouldn't the event as really race oriented - the KOM group was very small last year in the context of the large numbers participating - not to be worried about unless you want to race the thing yourself, everyone else just drives on at their own speed TBH. The timing chips are more or less for the novelty factor and to encourage people to go out and see how well they can do (and allow them to try to better it in subsequent years).

My club is primarily sportive focused at the moment with a minority having a go at racing just yet (though watch this space in the future) and we had a gang up for last years TdB who found it a challenge, as it is supposed to be, but not a painful, exhausiting trial and we (so far) have 13 14 travelling to it again this year. While the level of fitness is good in our riders, they would be certainly sportive fit though not necessarily race fit.

I would say anyone who has several 100km rides done this year will find the 100km route grand and could test themselves on the 160 if they want to see what they can do. If someone has 2-3 130km+ rides done already this year then they'd be well set for the 160km just to ride their own pace. Any race training or experience would be helpful if going to enter the KOM competition but it's certainly not a necessity for the event

Anybody going from cork?Wudnt mind some company on the way up saturday morning...

Getting a place to stay for the weekend there now seems a hard thing, probably worse than the actual spin :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement