Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightroom 3 Now Available.

• 08-06-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

If anyone signs into their adobe lightroom you will now see that version 3 (with no beta tag) is available.

This means two things people;

a) think about spending money on the product

and

b) be aware that your current beta will expire on 30th June

Day of reckoning coming folks.

There is a 30 day trial of Lightroom available so you could put off the evil day by allowing your LR3 beta 2 to run out then download and install LR3 from Adobe on the free trial basis.

Anyhow, just thought i'd mention. Back to UFRaw and the Gimp methinks

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

drat....lightroom really sped up my processing......what to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I love Lightroom, so will most likely upgrade. Some good functions in the new version, especially the watermarking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

anyone know about migrating catalogs from the beta to the full version?

I'll definitely be getting the upgrade - not sure about other Nikon users, but I think 3 handles NEF's much better than anything before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

There's an offer on upgrading Photoshop as well - 30% off LR if you buy/upgrade Photoshop at the same time.

eas wrote: »
    anyone know about migrating catalogs from the beta to the full version?

I believe it uses the same catalogue format, so there's no migration, as such. You just continue to work away with your active catalog, or just import it.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    I believe it uses the same catalogue format, so there's no migration, as such. You just continue to work away with your active catalog, or just import it.

cool - you should go first and let me know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I love LR 3 too, so much so that I want to get to know it better in seedy lanes.

eas wrote: »
    cool - you should go first and let me know. :)

Will do. :D Just ordered the upgrade package. Want it by post, so you'll have to wait a few days.

~POST? :(

ah well - I'll get the download tonight when I have more time in case it goes Adobe on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I love LR 3 too, so much so that I want to get to know it better in seedy lanes.

I know what ya mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Must watch out for the release of this, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm annoyed they never implemented pressure sensitivity for wacom tablets in Lightroom; or else I never found it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I've become too used to lightroom 3 to not buy it. I'll put it off as long as possible though :o

I love LR2 - Can anyone who has used that extensively and switched to the LR3 beta, give a run down of the advantages/changes/improvements? Is it even worth the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

Does anybody use 64 bit version? I wonder if there is any performance improvement with it over 32bit.

I'm stuck in 32bit land :( and I can say LR2 can, at times, be cpu hungry. Is LR3 heavier on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I love LR2 - Can anyone who has used that extensively and switched to the LR3 beta, give a run down of the advantages/changes/improvements? Is it even worth the upgrade?

Well I'm not an expert in all of lightrooms features and bits but in 2 and 3 I will say why LR3 is better.

LR 3 far faster and more stable
    Better noise handling
    sharpness better

I'm sure theres many more but I either can't remember or I haven't got to that stage yet. :o

LR3 at a guess is lighter on cpu use then 2.

Nice one, cheers. I did think that was one weakness in LR2, the sharpness handling. I'd often take images already processed in LR2 to Photoshop and run a high pass filter on a dupe layer to sharpen. I find that LR2 can give very noisey sharpening results very quick, without over pushing the slider.

Also on the cpu usage. I'm on 2GB RAM on a dual core here, running Vista home premium, and it struggles at times when I have a few programs open. Lighter on cpu sounds good to me.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-3/whats-new-in-lightroom-3/

Well, well worth checking out.

I love the watermark and the FlickR integration. Maybe Pix.ie can get in on the act too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I have grown to kinda-like lightroom 3 (beta) including some of its quirks.

I have one particular issue I come across and wonder does anyone else find the same.

When browsing through a catalogue (i think that's the correct terminology) and if I have say 300 - 400 photographs, it works fine on maybe the first 150 but then tends to stall momentarily - maybe 15 or 20 seconds while it loads an image thereafter.

Might just be the machine I'm running it on which is getting lowish on disk space (about 15GB free space) and is running vista (bless yourself and spit three times).

Just thought it a little weird or would it be the release version 3 sort it.

• Advertisement

I can't say I've noticed anything like that, and my catalogue would have thousands of images. Mind you, my PC has plenty of disk and memory.

But, I believe the new catalogue is better optimised in LR3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

My LR3 was working flawlessly until I uninstalled LR2. Now it's complete muck. Adjustment brush is rendered absolutely useless it's so slow. Not happy :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

The noise reduction ! Sweet Jeebus ! I've reworked a few images from the 24HR Nurburgring @6400ISO and they're perfectly clean now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Must get around to buying it now! :)

gloobag wrote: »
    My LR3 was working flawlessly until I uninstalled LR2. Now it's complete muck. Adjustment brush is rendered absolutely useless it's so slow. Not happy :mad:

gloobag, uninstalling LR3 and reinstalling it back might help...

gloobag, uninstalling LR3 and reinstalling it back might help...

I agree. You probably should have uninstalled LR2.7 before installing the new LR3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I agree. You probably should have uninstalled LR2.7 before installing the new LR3.

Yeah I know, usually I would, but I read an article about migrating your catalog that said to leave 2 installed until you had LR3 up and running 100%.

Should've known better, I've been working in IT for 6 years now :rolleyes:

I agree with the comments about the noise reduction. It's excellent. Done a fantastic job on some high ISO G11 shots I had.

The Adobe support forum is very useful for specific issues - http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom?view=discussions&start=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

looks worth it for some of the new presets alone. Haven't tried much else out yet. Must see how much it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

It's been said already but the main improvements for me are sharpening and noise reduction. Huge huge improvement over LR2. If you shoot at high ISO's a lot it's amazing.
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I have grown to kinda-like lightroom 3 (beta) including some of its quirks.

I have one particular issue I come across and wonder does anyone else find the same.

When browsing through a catalogue (i think that's the correct terminology) and if I have say 300 - 400 photographs, it works fine on maybe the first 150 but then tends to stall momentarily - maybe 15 or 20 seconds while it loads an image thereafter.

Might just be the machine I'm running it on which is getting lowish on disk space (about 15GB free space) and is running vista (bless yourself and spit three times).

Just thought it a little weird or would it be the release version 3 sort it.

Sounds to me that it might be to do with rendering previews. Are you rendering previews at import? Standard size ones will do generally, but 1:1 previews are helpful when editing in detail.

That's my best guess anyway.

Overall, I was hoping Adobe might do more in terms of new features. Unless there are more that haven't been announced yet or in the beta.

€97 for the upgrade, and €302 for the full release. That's for the download version. The CD costs an extra €8.

Just got an email saying that as a beta user I have a "chance to get 15% off the full-version price of Photoshop Lightroom 3 ends on 18 June."

Yup, I got the same. I downloaded the beta but my pc was a bit wonky at the time and I never actually installed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

For those that are still wondering about the differences between v2, v3beta and v3final, there's a fairly comprehensive list here.

I havn't had much of a chance to give it a good run through yet but my first impression is that it's much snappier than the beta and I'd moved all my new work to the beta for the better NR and new processing engine. Well worth the upgrade fee at the very least I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

My LR Beta 3 expired about 2 weeks back.

Last night I tried the oldest trick in the book and set the PC date back to Dec 2009... and LR Beta 3 was back up and running again.

Worth noting that the PC isn't connected to the internet... so no back-chat with Adobe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

jpb1974 wrote: »
    My LR Beta 3 expired about 2 weeks back.

Last night I tried the oldest trick in the book and set the PC date back to Dec 2009... and LR Beta 3 was back up and running again.

Worth noting that the PC isn't connected to the internet... so no back-chat with Adobe.

That must have been the first beta, the second shouldn't expire till the end of this month..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

That must have been the first beta

Aye... think it was the first beta alright.

I'm surprised at how sloppy Adobe were in implementing the expiration check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Just upgraded from version 2.7 and am very impressed....especially LR3's noise reduction.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

does anyone know about...

I currently have CS4 for Windows

I was thinking of switching to Mac

Is it possible to buy the CS5 upgrade for Mac or will Adobe expect me to purchase full CS5 package?

Barname wrote: »
    does anyone know about...

I currently have CS4 for Windows

I was thinking of switching to Mac

Is it possible to buy the CS5 upgrade for Mac or will Adobe expect me to purchase full CS5 package?

Have you thought about using Aperture for Mac. It's a super piece of software

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

swingking wrote: »

I am a freak, I like adobe stuff

Barname wrote: »

You can just buy the upgrade. The license is a dual license - for Mac and PC, or desktop and laptop. So, you should have no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You can just buy the upgrade. The license is a dual license - for Mac and PC, or desktop and laptop. So, you should have no problems.
    That's only true for Lightroom, CS5 is a Windows or Mac specific version.
    I'm planning and going the same way and it seems, you have to fill out a Letter of Software Destruction. I'm not sure however in which order (buy update, contact Adobe, send letter) you have to do this. Best thing is, to contact Adobe and ask them for the exact procedure (and post it here, so I know, what to do, when my Mac arrives :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

swingking wrote: »

Just on that, I have aperture 1............I know seriously out of date, anyway looking at upgrading my system at the moment. Do you use the latest Aperture? Can decide between it and lightroom any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Should LR 2.7 be uninstalled before installing the new LR 3.0? Any precautions to doing this that I should know of if so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Adriatic wrote: »
    Should LR 2.7 be uninstalled before installing the new LR 3.0? Any precautions to doing this that I should know of if so?

I uninstalled 2.7 first.

I had LR 2.4, I've installed LR3 and all seems fine. now I'm afraid to uninstall 2.4 as I read in here yesterday that someone experienced mad slow down after doing so.

tullie wrote: »
    Just on that, I have aperture 1............I know seriously out of date, anyway looking at upgrading my system at the moment. Do you use the latest Aperture? Can decide between it and lightroom any thoughts?

I downloaded a trial of aperture 3 and I was really impressed with the presets and features. I'm sticking with lightroom however

mdebets wrote: »
    That's only true for Lightroom, CS5 is a Windows or Mac specific version.

Woops, silly me. Yes, you're correct. Sorry, this being a Lightroom thread I was only thinking about lightroom and not the full CS5 package.

The Adobe forums are very useful, when you're planning to install/upgrade.

Should I uninstall LR 2.4? Will it affect LR3 performance in any way? Pointless leaving LR2 there as I wont use it now I have the newer version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement