Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightroom 3 Now Available.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Should I uninstall LR 2.4? Will it affect LR3 performance in any way? Pointless leaving LR2 there as I wont use it now I have the newer version.

As I stated earlier...I uninstalled the previous version (2.7 in my case) before installing LR3. Everything works fine...LR3 automatically imported my LR2 catalogue and the only thing that I needed to do was to install my particular camera presets. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Should I uninstall LR 2.4? Will it affect LR3 performance in any way? Pointless leaving LR2 there as I wont use it now I have the newer version.

You may want to upgrade from LR2.4 to LR2.7, just to make sure there are no catalog issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I chose new catalogue for LR3, as I never really used LR's cataloging, I export to my own select folders. Does this make much difference?

The new noise control - brilliant? or just over the top softening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

The new noise control - brilliant? or just over the top softening?

Have to say I'm impressed, once beta 2 had come out I'd switched most of my processing over to it (luminance noise can be a bigger problem than chroma on my Oly) but it's only over the last day or two since I've imported all my older shots into 3 and played around with some of the ISO 1600 shots that I've seen how good it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hadn't played with the noise reduction in beta 2 at all until the last couple of days after this thread got going. On screen it is incredibly impressive. I'm planning on doing a print run today so i'll see how it translates onto paper.

Anyone who has used noise ninja previously - how does it compare?

From my messing about with the NR controls, I find it is very impressive. BUT, it's very easy over-do it and you can end up with a very smooth water colour effect on things like grass/brick walls etc. It's just a matter of restraining yourself. It is certainly more effective than LR2's NR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Just ordered my student edition

Kbeg3 wrote: »

Enjoy! :)

A pretty useful site for those using Lightroom... http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

How much is the student edition?

swingking wrote: »
    How much is the student edition?

€83.49

I just tried the tethered shooting. Not bad. Not as good as the Canon software though, since you can't change any settings (of the camera) on the PC. You need to change the settings directly on the camera (shutter speed, aperture, ISO).

The more I play with Lightroom 3, the more I like it. It's a good bit better than LR2.

Must try out that myself too. In the meantime I've found this software for tethered shooting with Nikon bodies which allows a range of camera adjustments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

b4 I install lightroom 3 do I need to uninstall the beta and also lightroom 2?
    I don't mind losing my pics, I never keep any and use pixie as my back up. :D

I'd recommend uninstalling both, reboot and then install LR3.

• Advertisement

You don't have to. You can install LR3, and it will update the catalog, and then you can uninstall the previous versions.

That's what I've done (well, still have to uninstall LR2.7)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I just installed it, no bother on a Mac :)

Love the new watermarking features, love the noise reduction as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Can I ask someone with LR3 on a mac to check this out for me...

in the "web" module, if you choose "airtight simpleviewer" as the layout style - and under "image info" select "caption" & "sequence."

For me, the sequence numbers appear fine, but do not change - it will always stay at 1/xxx. Annoying little bug for me as I use this for couples to ID their pics.

Also - it seems as thought there is no watermarking feature for simpleviewer...oddly it was in the beta version.?!?!

eas wrote: »
    Can I ask someone with LR3 on a mac to check this out for me...

in the "web" module, if you choose "airtight simpleviewer" as the layout style - and under "image info" select "caption" & "sequence."

For me, the sequence numbers appear fine, but do not change - it will always stay at 1/xxx. Annoying little bug for me as I use this for couples to ID their pics.

Also - it seems as thought there is no watermarking feature for simpleviewer...oddly it was in the beta version.?!?!

Just checked that and yes it stays on 1 always

Just checked that and yes it stays on 1 always

Is it just like that when viewing within Lightroom, or is the same bug there when uploaded to a website?

I believe (from reading Adobe forums) that there will be a patch release very soon to correct a few issues.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Is it just like that when viewing within Lightroom, or is the same bug there when uploaded to a website?

I believe (from reading Adobe forums) that there will be a patch release very soon to correct a few issues.

I'm just viewing it in Lightroom, haven't tried uploading it

I'm just viewing it in Lightroom, haven't tried uploading it

I've read of 2 other bugs that show problems when viewed in Lightroom, but when uploaded to a website it works correctly. It's down to how Lightroom reads the code, rather than how it generates the code. The browser reads the code correctly, so your website gallery is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Thanks Kbeg3, appreciate it.

Paulw wrote: »

stays like that even when exported. Odd thing is the other caption settings work fine - like "file name" or whatever.

wait for the patch I guess. :o

The same bug seems to be there in the PC version. Might be no harm reporting that in the Adobe Lightroom support forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Quick question, were you asked for proof of academic status? As a teacher, I got LR2 under the Education store some time ago and did not have to send on proof of academic status. Ordered tonight and the order is "pending" and states I need to forward proof of status, which I will do tomorrow. Is this a random Adobe check or was I lucky the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

swingking wrote: »
    I downloaded a trial of aperture 3 and I was really impressed with the presets and features. I'm sticking with lightroom however

Can I ask why? tbh I'd say for handiness sake I'll stick with aperture simply because that's the system I have all my photos sorted in and I'm guessing migrating to lightroom would be a large undertaking. Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I was always a lightroom user. I was curious to see what aperture was like. The trial has expired now. Ordered my copy of Lightroom 3

jolly wrote: »
    Quick question, were you asked for proof of academic status? As a teacher, I got LR2 under the Education store some time ago and did not have to send on proof of academic status. Ordered tonight and the order is "pending" and states I need to forward proof of status, which I will do tomorrow. Is this a random Adobe check or was I lucky the first time?

I had to send proof of academic status, approved me within half and hour of sending. I have other Student editions of Adobe software and have always had to send it.

I had to send proof of academic status, approved me within half and hour of sending. I have other Student editions of Adobe software and have always had to send it.

Photoshop CS5 Extended Student and Teacher edition (PC & Mac) available from here for €245.89.

Is the S&T edition missing some features of the regular edition, or is it exactly the same deal?

Nforce wrote: »
    Photoshop CS5 Extended Student and Teacher edition (PC & Mac) available from here for €245.89.

Is the S&T edition missing some features of the regular edition, or is it exactly the same deal?

Exactly the same but cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Picked up Lightroom and processed a wedding, have to say love the new version. Seemed to make sense in terms of using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

I'm extremely impressed with the NR in Lightroom 3! Just upgraded from Lightroom 2. Picked up CS5 Extended last month and delighted with that too, albeit still trudging my way through PS tutorials!

Used Lightroom 3 properly for the 1st time this morning when I was doing my gig shots from last night and when I saved for example as 'Paranoid Visions' it came up as 'Paranoid Visions' (1 of 1), this is now showing up on my pixie, example
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/1746265/size/800

It's annoying because this wasn't in previous versions of LR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

coolmoose wrote: »
    I'm extremely impressed with the NR in Lightroom 3! Just upgraded from Lightroom 2. Picked up CS5 Extended last month and delighted with that too, albeit still trudging my way through PS tutorials!

+1 for the Noise Reduction. Worth the Upgrade for that alone tbh! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Used Lightroom 3 properly for the 1st time this morning when I was doing my gig shots from last night and when I saved for example as 'Paranoid Visions' it came up as 'Paranoid Visions' (1 of 1), this is now showing up on my pixie, example
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/1746265/size/800

It's annoying because this wasn't in previous versions of LR.

AR, it was in previous versions, in the file renaming part of the export box you must have "custom name (x of y)" selected, just change it to whatever suits you.

Now if everything in life could be that simple. :o

I love the new Yesteryear preset, I can see myself using that on more than a few occassions.

I love the Aged photo preset, though that was also in LR2. B&W4 can be good, depending on the image. I never straight up use a preset, always tweak them a lot after selecting them. but they are dead handy.

I'm liking LR3 the more I use it. I've copped on to the NR a little more, if you don't get carried away it is rather brilliant. Miles better than any NR tool in Cs5, easily.

Now, I'm sure this could be done in previous version too, but I never actually tried it. I've brought in multiple images and processed them using the copy and paste, and all images waited until i was done before exporting them all. Maybe it's just easier now that I bothered to try it. I used to only ever import one RAW at a time. Cumbersome when you have dozens to process.

I never straight up use a preset, always tweak them a lot after selecting them.
    No one does Cageyone, no one does. :p
    It's a starting off point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Was using LR3 this morning and this happened:
    Capture.JPG

Does Lightroom normally use that much memory? Never checked before
    but things got a bit stuttery this morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

That's nothing unusual.

No one does Cageyone, no one does. :p
    It's a starting off point.

You'd be surprised!

I meant I tweak the presets so much, you'd not think I even used it. Sometimes you see images you can almost tell which preset they used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

The new import function was confusing at first but I figured it out, but sometimes it I edit in lightroom and save as a .psd, the psd has the adjustments icon -/+ and I have had to remove it, is this a bug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 quinnro@gmail.c

Hi ,
    Was it as simple as emailing a scan of your student ID ??
    Or is there something more specific contained in the package they send you ?
    Thanks ,
    Ronan.

Was is as easy as an email with a scan of your school ID ? Or is there more specific instructions in the box when u get it.

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly I just filled out a form on the Adobe website and had to upload a document, student ID is accepted

If I remember correctly I just filled out a form on the Adobe website and had to upload a document, student ID is accepted

Thanks pal.
    Just wanted to check it was straight forward.
    Ronan

Advertisement