Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does time fly for parents?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel that since they have become a parent that the years have just been stolen on you?

My middle child is starting school in September, and I just feel that he has grown up so fast!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Kind of...the day to day goes pretty slowly, especially if we're going through a particularly unpleasant phase - but then I get a shock when I realise another month has passed in a flash. :confused:

My youngest starts school in September and I'm not ashamed to say, I can't wait! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

first year was like a prison sentance in Quantamino Bay but after that , indeed ,amazing how the time flies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Yes, time does fly and they change so fast. Someone put up a poem awhile back which made me think.

Séamus Ó Néill: Subh milis:

Bhí subh milis
    Ar bhaschrann an dorais
    Ach mhúch mé an corraí
    Ionam d'éirigh,
    Mar smaoinigh mé ar an lá
    A bheas an baschrann glan,
    Agus an láimh bheag
    Ar iarraidh.

Translation:

There was jam
    On the doorhandle
    But I suppressed the anger
    That rose up in me,
    Because I thought of the day
    That the doorhandle would be clean
    And the little hand
    Would be gone.

Personally made me think of making the most of now, rather than thinking about how the past is past.

That's a cute poem deliverance...I have something similar up with hand-paintings they did.

It was a poem a poster put up. credit to them, can't think of the posters name. Would like to see the hand paintings if you have them?

• Advertisement

They are just handmade by the kids, works of art to us of course! The laminate doesn't like the camera flash so apologies about the quality of the pic!

hands.jpg

In case you can't read it, the writing says:

"Sometimes you may get discouraged because we are so small and always leave our fingerprints on furniture and walls. But now we're getting bigger and will be grown up some day and all those tiny handprints will surely fade away. So here's some final handprints just so you can recall exactly how our fingers looked when we were very small".

I have a much longer one with their footprints on it somewhere too! :)

Awwww! :o:D

Thanks for putting that up. They are lovely. Your kids will appreciate it. I have kept every drawing that my child has made as well. To me she is a little artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Yes, time does fly and they change so fast. Someone put up a poem awhile back which made me think.

Bhí subh milis
    Ar bhaschrann an dorais
    Ach mhúch mé an corraí
    Ionam d'éirigh,
    Agus an láimh bheag
    Ar iarraidh.

Translation:

There was jam
    On the doorhandle
    That rose up in me,
    And the little hand
    Would be gone.

Personally made me think of making the most of now, rather than thinking about how the past is past.

That's a Junior Cert poem!!Haven't seen that in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I think its amazing just how quick the time has gone. My eldest started his leaving cert today - but I remember like it was yesterday the handprint painting he brought home from playschool.

But like others said ... some days last forever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bhí subh milis
    Ar bhaschrann an dorais
    Ach mhúch mé an corraí
    Ionam d'éirigh,
    Agus an láimh bheag
    Ar iarraidh.

Jesus. That's beautiful. And terribly sad. Myself and my wife have both said that we're already not looking forward to the day that the last one leaves the nest (that's probably 20+ years away like!).

• Advertisement

Ikle has inspired me to to laminate and gather hand and footprints of my childs art. Cue a thread for childrens art I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Ah damn, would you change the heading of this to- don't read if you're not wearing waterproof mascara- please? I've become a right old softy since I had children.

When my two were toddlers/babies I got those blank canvasses and put their hand/feet in paint and just printed the shape on the canvas- with nothing else except their age and the date at the bottom. Used bright strong colours and hung them on the wall. Really cheap and I love them cause it shows how teeny tiny they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Oh god, I dont know what is worse, the thoughts of not having babies in the house, Or being in an empty nest with Mr Quality!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That poem has given me a serious lump in my throat. Beautiful.

Ikle has inspired me to to laminate and gather hand and footprints of my childs art. Cue a thread for childrens art I think?

We (just the other day) got fingerprints done of the kids which we're getting put in silver for a necklace. pinkyprints.ie I think it was (not affiliated with them in any way).

I like the art thread idea though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

In a word.... YES! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have that poem with hand prints as well, it's part of the current art program in primary school.

Time can drag day to day, week to week but the years fly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Thaedydal wrote: »

yeah its true. We had 3 years of terrible sleep during which i thought it would never end.... now my Son is finishing his first year of school... :eek:

time for another!!:D

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have that poem with hand prints as well, it's part of the current art program in primary school.

That's good to know, thanks Thaedydal! I was going to do something with them at the weekend re Subh milis, I'll leave it if some art-work is on it's way at some point... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Khannie wrote: »
    We (just the other day) got fingerprints done of the kids which we're getting put in silver for a necklace. pinkyprints.ie I think it was (not affiliated with them in any way).

Just had a look at that website, they have some cute ideas. Pity they don't do dog tags though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My baby will be finished primary school at the end of this month so that phase will be finished and the secondary school phase is shorter. He'll be going to his first and only disco for a few years on Friday that the school organises for 6th class.

His older brother was dropped off at the gaeltacht last Saturday and we haven't heard as much as a peep off him apart from one text on Sunday to his dad telling us not to phone and that it's better than home, cheeky beggar :D one of his friend's mum got the same type text.

I guess the cailini that are sharing the same house are a big distraction.

I'm a hoarder and I've kept so many things from when they were born, all mother's day cards, ribbons from frowers, first shoes, lock of hair from first haircut, baby teeth, first outfit allsorts including their artwork.

Reading back their "News" copies from primary school is very entertaining.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Wantobe wrote: »
    Ah damn, would you change the heading of this to- don't read if you're not wearing waterproof mascara- please? I've become a right old softy since I had children.

+1 - thank god I'm not in an open plan office seeing as I'm blubbing away here!

Yes the time flies, my little lad is almost finished his first year at school & I swear I have blinked & missed it!

really nice idea re: a thread for kids art work by the way

Wantobe wrote: »
    Just had a look at that website, they have some cute ideas. Pity they don't do dog tags though.

I thought they did. :confused:

We're expecting our finished necklace back in about 3 weeks. I'll report back how it turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Khannie wrote: »
    I thought they did. :confused:

We're expecting our finished necklace back in about 3 weeks. I'll report back how it turned out.

Interested in how it turns out. Looks good on the website:)

God almighty.....I can't get that subh millis poem out of my head. Every time I go to correct the little one it jumps in! Aaaaaagh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

"Sometimes you may get discouraged because we are so small and always leave our fingerprints on furniture and walls. But now we're getting bigger and will be grown up some day and all those tiny handprints will surely fade away. So here's some final handprints just so you can recall exactly how our fingers looked when we were very small"

My daughter's creche did that too ... she's 14 now, can't believe it :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The first year with my son time just seemed elastic, days (and nights) were really long and months were really short. He's three now and the youngest is 11 months and time still seems to be racing by. That said, I can't believe it's been nine years since I left Ireland, so it's not just the last three that have flown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I really don't know where the last 17years have gone since becoming a Mammy! When I was a kid it seemed like my birthday or Christmas would never come. Now the years just whizz by like I'm on some crazy merry go round. I find I measure the years by the various school holidays, can't believe the summer hols are upon us again. Can't believe I have one child starting 4th class in sept, and the other 6th year, this time next year she will have left school altogether. Its so scary how quick they grow up, one minute they're in your arms, the next they are wanting to be put on your car insurance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There was jam
    On the doorhandle
    That rose up in me,
    And the little hand
    Would be gone.

That's really nice.

I sense sometimes that now (23 months) is one of the ages that I'll miss most: his bumbling little walk and his babbling; the emergence of his personality; the trail of destruction and his unguarded affection.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

not at the moment, trying to potty train twin boys :)

Advertisement