Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does time fly for parents?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That poem's gorgeous - I think it would have me in floods if I was a parent as I'd get very sentimental/nostalgic about that kinda stuff... :o

There's another lovely poem in Irish about a child's first pair of shoes - An Chéad Bhróg I think, by Máire Mac an tSaoi. Can't find it online - anyone know it/have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Searching like mad. But cannot find much. Is it about 'little shoes'. I found one but not sure if it was the poem.

The first line goes:

In the top drawer of her dresser is one pair of little shoes,
    And a pair of little booties from which her Mom can choose.

Is that it?

Doesn't ring a bell, Deliverance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I have this framed in my kitchen:

'I hope my children llook back on today and see a parent who had time to play
    There will be years for cleaning and cooking-but children grow up when you're not looking. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.'

So true, babies don't keep; my youngest has just finished his first year in secondary and I can't believe how fquick the time has gone! He's beginning the 'pulling away' process and I never thought I'd say this but it kinda hurts... :(
    If we could have kids 'backwards', teens first, I think we'd be more appreciative of the toddler years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

This thread is making me appreciate the happy times with my kids. smelling them, holding them tight.. and trying to remember little moments... i seem to b forgetting the moments from my eldest.. hopefully i wont forget the youngers as easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The time does indeed go slowly when you have little children but then all of a sudden your oldest is 16 as in my case and you wonder, god where did the years go????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Interested in how it turns out. Looks good on the website:)

Well it just arrived (literally about 10 minutes ago). I'm well impressed. Looks lovely on my wife too. Here's a pic.....

imageafe.jpg

Obviously the print is more defined for the youngfella because he's that bit older. Still though, it's lovely to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Dudess wrote: »
    There's another lovely poem in Irish about a child's first pair of shoes - An Chéad Bhróg I think, by Máire Mac an tSaoi. Can't find it online - anyone know it/have it?

’Agus mé im’ greachaile,’ adúirt sí,’
    ’Chreidinn go raibh na Flaithis
    Lán de chumhracht na meala
    Agus na mísmín
    Agus d’aer na farraige.
    Anois gabhaim leor le grá Dé!

Thanks Ickle. Now, is there a translator in the house? :pac:

Advertisement