Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Sorry Mods this is very off topic I know!

I think you have to have gone there Leo to get a true reflection of the place. I know your fiercely proud of Rush but the school never figures in the Sunday Times top secondary schools in Ireland while both of the Loretta schools do consistently so I would have to rank them above St Josephs. Sunday Times figures are based on exam results in Leaving Cert and the standard of University/Colleges that the girls go on to. That might explain the scenes we had in recent years from anxious parents trying to register their daughter in either of the Loretta Schools.

Seems one of my posts has gone missing:confused:

I disagree with your opening sentence. I feel I can make a judgment on what I see and its unfair to compare now with what went on there 20years ago. Make no mistake about it St. Josephs is top class school. FACT. Because they are not in Sunday times would not bother me and I am sure if look a little closer at figures you will find a lot of the schools who do score high have a high number attending grind schools, the Rush kids dont need a grid school:) Also I have seen how some of the kids who go to certain schools in NCD behave and I can honestly say you would be stunned.

I dont think its right if there was any messing going on with this petition but like some else said its not a bad thing if it was done right to see young people getting involved in local issues.

Jeasus just thinking IF Eirgrid do start as planned next week will we go back to funerals, ghost stories or history? Could be a little flat here.

Cordensonk come up with a good topic for this cold wet nights, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Donegal Forum has an election thread, so hopefully we will get an election to keep you busy if the good mods of NCD will allow a thread on the North Dublin to be hosted. But it will need a few ground rules like the Sporting Fingal thread perhaps.

Ohh I forgot the De La Salle in Skerries ranks high too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Donegal Forum has an election thread, so hopefully we will get an election to keep you busy if the good mods of NCD will allow a thread on the North Dublin to be hosted. But it will need a few ground rules like the Sporting Fingal thread perhaps.

Ohh I forgot the De La Salle in Skerries ranks high too.
    Feel free to start an election thread covering DCN when appropriate, but can we please get this one back on topic;)

Thanks

Beasty

Ok for people who don't get the Northside People

Northside People East 17th November P8
    Rush residents have warned that they will do "whatever it takes" to prevent work on the installation of a high voltage electricity pipeline from going ahead in their town later this month.

The work on Eirgrid's controversial pipeline is three months behind schedule after the company battled to overcome furious opposition and safety concerns among local residents.

In what could develop into North Dublin's version of the 'Shell to Sea' campaign, Rush locals are adamant that they will halt the work. However, the energy company insists that there will be no further delay to the project.

Protest
    Anne McCrudden, chairperson of the Rush Community Council, told Northside People that they will protest as soon as the works commence. "As the community council we are doing our best to bring this to a peaceful conclusion," she said. "But we understand that some residents will be out on the streets with tractors, bulldozers and whatever it takes to prevent the company from undertaking these works. "There's nothing the company can say now to make us feel any differently about the plan because we believe we have serious grounds for health and safety concerns."

The rest was the usually argument about the route. Further on Eirgrid stated that the interruption outside each business will be a day at most and only the plastic ducts for the cables will be buried this year and the cable will be pushed through the plastic ducts early next year without the need for redigging.

I hope whoever these "protestors" with the tractors and bulldozers are don't try something stupid and drag young kids and teenagers along to protest with all that dangerous machinery whirling about, already 21 people killed this year in farm accidents.

Luckly all the Garda have had riot training in Mosney and Dundalk race track and they borrowed 4 water cannons from the Netherlands so should be able to split forces between the Sacking of the Dail and Rush Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i never understodd disruption protests.....

its all well and good disrupting the people you want to stop..... but when i can get on with my day to day business becasue a few tractors are trying to stop Eirgrid........ they start losing my support rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Come on this is Josephs isn't it? Back in the day if a senior shoved something in your face and told you in a quick one liner what it was about you would sign anything just to be glad your head wasn't put down the jacks if you said no. We were all 12 remember:)
    Did you even go to St Joseph's?

Certainly 20-25 years ago there was very little bullying in it, in my personal experience (certainly far less than the city schools judging by the stories my university friends told me). And the same is true today.

In any event, students asking for petitions to be signed are far more likely to be the intellectual/nerdy types rather than the bullying/ignorant types, who just wouldnt give a hoot.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK this really is the final warning - This thread has gone off-topic far too many times - it is about Eirgrid in Rush, not St Joseph's (or any other school for that matter).

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

There's a MASSIVE blinking sign (bit distracting) in the mainstreet saying there's a meeting in the primary school re: Eirgrid.

Whose that with - the residents or Eirgrid???

This is a public meeting.
    • Time for your say on what will happen next
    • Rush National School
    • Sunday 21st November @ 1pm
    Remember without your support they will continue
    to ignore our community
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Its basically a call for support and encouraging people to have their say as work is due to start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Since the Eirgrid trench is already constructed up as far as Spout Road where do protestors want it to go from there? And how long is the traffic disruption expected to take?

• Advertisement

imokyrok wrote: »
    Since the Eirgrid trench is already constructed up as far as Spout Road where do protestors want it to go from there? And how long is the traffic disruption expected to take?

Worst case scenerio

Well the Shell to Sea started in June 2005....... and lots of references that this could turn into similiar in the media coverage obtained by the No Campaign to scare Eirgrid off. Reading from the last article I posted there is alot of rogue farmers and bulldozer drivers around Rush that arn't under the control of the No Campaign.

On the brightside with the IMF in town and FF hiding in the Dail all the hijack a protest elements attracted to the Shell to Sea Campaign should be too busy creating posters and effigies of Cowan & Co to attend.

Without Protest Scenerio
    Starting on Channel Rd on the 25th Nov progressing at an average of 30m a day which in old money is roughly nearly a 100 feet a day.

From Eirgrid Website Today
    Contractors for EirGrid will commence work on Channel Road on Wednesday 24th November 2010. The team will move at up to 30 metres per day on average. If works are outside your door today then they should have moved on by tomorrow. The roads will be reinstated as the cable ducts are installed. The cable is then pulled though the cable ducts at a later date to minimise disruption.
    We will ensure that people will have access to their homes and businesses at all times and we are working with the community, Fingal County Council and the Gardai to ensure that disruption is minimised.

EirGrid has opened an Information Office in Rush to deal with any questions from residents. To make an appointment to meet the project team call 1890 36 46 56.

• More information on the project is available at www.interconnector.ie
    • For email updates email eastwestinterconnector@eirgrid.com.
    • For text updates text FINGAL to 51500 (standard SMS rates apply).
    • Telephone queries and to make an appointment call 1890 36 46 56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Wouldn't this the kind of protest that Eirigi would love to get involved with and cause a bit of mayhem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

How will anyone stop this?
    What is the plan for tomorrow.
    The only way to stop this now is physically getting in the way of the construction work.
    I can do that if required. We have to take this lying down for once.
    On the road in front of the diggers.

I am not violent but I have my belly full of this county pushing us around just to line the pockets of their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

The only way to stop this now is physically getting in the way of the construction work.

**** the diggers, I am a local resident and I have no problem driving over you paranoid idiots if you block my road. Yes im right on top of the big bad cable and have no issues with it, I'm not as easily fooled by the scaremongering science haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

fayer wrote: »
    **** the diggers, I am a local resident and I have no problem driving over you paranoid idiots if you block my road. Yes im right on top of the big bad cable and have no issues with it, I'm not as easily fooled by the scaremongering science haters.
    Not taking the bait sorry. ;)

I am not violent but I have my belly full of this county pushing us around just to line the pockets of their mates.

Hi, great to hear a new perspective.

You seem to have inside information so share it with us all please, who is lining their pockets on this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Excuse me, I am not trying to "bait" anyone. Where is my voice to say I do not approve of the minority disrupting the lives of the majority. I am a local, I am happy to let this work proceed, yes its some disruption, but you do not have any mandate to extenuate that disruption to satisfy your own beliefs.

Did you mean county or was it country?

Good man dont take the bait.
    Hi, great to hear a new perspective.

You seem to have inside information so share it with us all please, who is lining their pockets on this project?

You are an intelligent poster here Corsendonk, a well read person I would say. Now unless you are very silly the dogs on the street know the way big business works in this Country, whether we go back to Greencore and the Sugar debacle, Telecon Eireann or up to the present, Cosy cartels ring a bell with you. Why has Eamon Ryan lied through his teeth? Saying he cant get involved when facts have been put in front of him showing the inaccurices at the planning application stage I think it was his duty to get involved in the interests of the public. They put in place an independent report on H & S and before its complete he signs off on this route? Were the greens not supposed to be keeping an eye on things for us? He knows full well what has gone on here and he has turned his back on people. WHY DID HE DO THAT?
    fayer wrote: »
    Excuse me, I am not trying to "bait" anyone. Where is my voice to say I do not approve of the minority disrupting the lives of the majority. I am a local, I am happy to let this work proceed, yes its some disruption, but you do not have any mandate to extenuate that disruption to satisfy your own beliefs.

Well it looks like your trying to bait people. Your yoice is in Rush National School today at 1pm I would argue if you are in the minority from what I see and hear every day, . People like Brian Ireland do have a mandate and are entitled to stand up rather than be just screwed into the ground again, If he believes he is being screwed
    Did you mean county or was it country?

THis type of posts starts tit for tat stuff.

I am not in favour of any type of violent disruption or disruption which which will endanger anyone but if thats the way some people want to go well go ahead.

So will all the people who are in favour of the choosen route be holding a rally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

LeoB wrote: »
    So will all the people who are in favour of the choosen route be holding a rally?

No, we'd much rather stay at home in peace and not join the mindless scare mongering masses.

Curious.. when this pipe is eventually in the ground, what will you do? Will you continually protest until its removed? or just give in? Id bank on the latter.

The pipes going in, tough tiddy.

• Advertisement

Good man dont take the bait.

You are an intelligent poster here Corsendonk, a well read person I would say. Now unless you are very silly the dogs on the street know the way big business works in this Country, whether we go back to Greencore and the Sugar debacle, Telecon Eireann or up to the present, Cosy cartels ring a bell with you. Why has Eamon Ryan lied through his teeth? Saying he cant get involved when facts have been put in front of him showing the inaccurices at the planning application stage I think it was his duty to get involved in the interests of the public. They put in place an independent report on H & S and before its complete he signs off on this route? Were the greens not supposed to be keeping an eye on things for us? He knows full well what has gone on here and he has turned his back on people. WHY DID HE DO THAT?

Well it looks like your trying to bait people. Your yoice is in Rush National School today at 1pm I would argue if you are in the minority from what I see and hear every day, . People like Brian Ireland do have a mandate and are entitled to stand up rather than be just screwed into the ground again, If he believes he is being screwed

THis type of posts starts tit for tat stuff.

I am not in favour of any type of violent disruption or disruption which which will endanger anyone but if thats the way some people want to go well go ahead.

I was asking for clariffication did he mean county or country, poster said county but did he mean country? That line is often used in the context of country.

Otherwise if he was referring to County your Irish Sugar Greencore, Telecom Eireann examples doesn't apply here, there national or country issues. I thought maybe he knows something about corruption in this county that should be brought to the attention of the public or more importantly garda if its corruption involved.

If you want to label that has tit for tat go ahead we are a free nation but try to calm down before posting when people ask simple questions. Making a mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind.

I am not in favour of violent acts from either side but I find your comments below make me speechless, I think you may just need to calm yourself down and re-edit what you said

If you look at the recent post last night by Brian as an observor, his post could be seen as an attempt to flame the thread to raise the emotional levels of posters which in my personnal opinion he has done in part.

One specific comment on some of the recent posts - this is not a place to promote civil disobedience.

Can posters please calm down a bit. We've already had to dish out a number of infractions in this thread, and I've lost count of the number of in-thread warnings we have had to give. It's getting to the stage that if we have much more trouble with the thread we may have to close it.

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clay j

I dont approve of violence but sometimes as you see in France the people take to the streets when there is a problem like we have here now. The big problem for a place like Rush is it could have what has I believe a decent protest hi jacked by people who thrive on this type of civil disobedience and that would be a shame.

People are pretty passionate on here on various topics which is good. Without some type of strong protest there is the danger locals will just walked all over, again.

Was anyone at the meeting today?

If you think there are residents within Rush capable of hijacking a protest as was done to the student protest recently, you've got another thing coming.

We live in Rush, a sleepy little town on the East Coast that goes a little mental on the weekends. You have about as much a chance of stopping them putting down this pipe, as you do organising a semi effective march. Lay down your arms keyboard warriors, you've been defeated.

No, we'd much rather stay at home in peace and not join the mindless scare mongering masses.

Curious.. when this pipe is eventually in the ground, what will you do? Will you continually protest until its removed? or just give in? Id bank on the latter.

The pipes going in, tough tiddy.

Yeah that is pretty typical of what has gone on in Rush before, sit back and let someone else do it.

When the pipe is in or if it goes in well thats that. Its over. But at least some people had the balls to make a case for the rest of the people for which some people are grateful. And believe me its far from mindless what is going on here just depends on which side of the fence you sit.
    In fairness to the re route campaign they have been excellent for the town, most dignafied. Have you been at any meetings?
    I was asking for clariffication did he mean county or country, poster said county but did he mean country? That line is often used in the context of country.

Otherwise if he was referring to County your Irish Sugar Greencore, Telecom Eireann examples doesn't apply here, there national or country issues. I thought maybe he knows something about corruption in this county that should be brought to the attention of the public or more importantly garda if its corruption involved.

If you want to label that has tit for tat go ahead we are a free nation but try to calm down before posting when people ask simple questions. Making a mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind.

I am not in favour of violent acts from either side but I find your comments below make me speechless, I think you may just need to calm yourself down and re-edit what you said

If you look at the recent post last night by Brian as an observor, his post could be seen as an attempt to flame the thread to raise the emotional levels of posters which in my personnal opinion he has done in part.

I said what I said in the context of some of your previous posts which have been a little.........

Maybe he did mean county in which case I am 100% wrong and hold my hand up for a slap and I would like some info on it. But in all honesty now I am pretty sure he meant country

On my last sentence, your speechless? I, like yourself am defo not in favour of violence but some people just wont back down its there choice. I sincerley hope it does not come to that but I know quite a few involved in this and they are very hyped up, mind you I would head for Kildare St or where ever Eamon Ryans office is.

Have you been at any meetings?

I think its quite clear from my posts that I havent attended any of the meetings and couldnt possibly give less of a <snip> about the matter at hand. Youre thinly veiled attempts at putting people down and trying to belittle them for not caring about the goings on of their hometown are pathetic, get a life.

If you think there are residents within Rush capable of hijacking a protest as was done to the student protest recently, you've got another thing coming.

We live in Rush, a sleepy little town on the East Coast that goes a little mental on the weekends. You have about as much a chance of stopping them putting down this pipe, as you do organising a semi effective march. Lay down your arms keyboard warriors, you've been defeated.

Thats a real helpful post there. And you obviously know <snip> all about what some locals are capable of. No one is in favour of this type of protest but some very mild manneres people are very annoyed at being rail roaded and when people are annoyed they do can do silly things.

You never went through teenage angst did you Leo, dont bottle it up.. let it all out. We all know when push comes to shove and they start digging up your beloved road, youll be the one throwing the petrol bombs, ya mad yoke.

Can we lock the thread? Its getting silly now, people are embarrassing the town of Rush here now and themselves. The thread has lost its function.

• Advertisement

I think its quite clear from my posts that I havent attended any of the meetings and couldnt possibly give less of a <snip> about the matter at hand. Youre thinly veiled attempts at putting people down and trying to belittle them for not caring about the goings on of their hometown are pathetic, get a life.

I have obviously more of a life than you from what I can make out.

For a start I am not trying to put anyone down but your attidtude/comments are just pathetic in my opinion. If I wanted to put you down I would just insult you or call you something silly but as a rule I dont do that.

Some people do care and thats what makes Rush a half decent place to live and long may they continue to care. If you knew anything about Rush you wont need me to tell you about the lack of spirit in the place, how we were just about always overlooked and now we have people who wont stand for that I feel the town should get behind them. Because you dont give a <snip> about it does not mean we should all lie down.

Advertisement