Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Can we lock the thread? Its getting silly now, people are embarrassing the town of Rush here now and themselves. The thread has lost its function.

We were going pretty well there for a while. Hope its not locked yet.
    BTW, If the protest does go to Eamon Ryans office I am not for a minute suggesting they should cause any hasssle.

Anyone at todays meeting?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One week ban for TangyZizzle for personal abuse - his language leaves a lot to be desired also

I am locking this thread for now. I'll liaise with Hill Billy and we will consider whether we can re-open it when things have calmed down a bit, but based on recent posts I am not particularly hopeful

@Corsendonk - please do not request moderator action in-thread - either use the report button, or PM the mods

Thanks

Beasty

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I understand there have been further developments today:
    Work on the Eirgrid Interconnector pipeline through the centre of Rush was due to start today at 7am. A large group of protestors gathered on Channel Rd. At 9am Angela McCrudden (Chairperson of Rush Community Council) announced that the police had deemed it a high level protest and the work was called off for the day.

In light of this, and following further discussion with Hill Billy, we have agreed to re-open the thread. However there are strict conditions attached. Any further behaviour similar to some that we have already dealt with can be expected to result in permanent bans from posting in this thread in addition to normal sanctions.

Do not expect any further warnings - we will act accordingly on any posts we consider trolling, abusive, taking the thread seriously off-topic, or which contravene any of the previous warnings given in this thread.

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

A high level protest! Good grief how are the gardai going to cope with Saturdays protest if 100 grannies at the junction of Channel Road and Daly Lane are too much for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Yeah, I had noticed there was a MASSIVE sign detailing the protest this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

so the disruption worked....... for how long?

was anyone at it? what did they do?

imokyrok wrote: »
    A high level protest! Good grief how are the gardai going to cope with Saturdays protest if 100 grannies at the junction of Channel Road and Daly Lane are too much for them?

I think in fairness this was well organised and well executed by the organisers. They had a peaceful protest and achieved what they set out to do. There was a strong Garda presence which was good to see. There is always a danger of events like these being hijacked by people who dont mind creating a bit of hassle but thankfully that did not happen. I drove down the Channel Rd at 9.15 and was stunned at the response. Cars, Vans, tractors, lorries and motorbikes were parked all along the road. I was not there at 7am when they met but judging from the amount of cars present they had a very good crowd.

The protesters meet again tomorrow at 7am on Channel Rd. Cars are to be parked on the Healys lane side of the road between the bottom of the hill and Healys Lane.

As at 7 .15 this evening there was no news from the legal discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I heard there's another report due out in January and that Eirgrid have said they want to dig up the roads now and put in the ducting/piping, but they will wait until after the report is out before feeding in the electrical cabling.

The protest group want them to at least wait until the findings of the January report is published, before commencing the works.

Personally I'd imagine this report, like the previous one, will say its likely to be safe - but because its new technology and therefore nobody really knows for sure, the new report will be heavily caveated like the previous report.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cian1991ferrari

This protest has been happening outside my front door. The big banner is placed on the wall of some of our property.

In relation to the report due out in January. This is due to answer the questions Rush citizens want to hear, BUT EirGrid are not waiting. As I post this they have currently began to dig! There is huge protest with higher Garda presence now.

We need all the support we can get seeing as they will not hold off until the report is published! I've been emailing all news and radio to get it aired.

All help is really needed!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

Updates galore on the Rush Community Blog.

Perhaps a bit off topic but wouldn't it make sense to put up a post telling us abit about each member of Rush Community Council, what there responsible for and what issues they deal with, contact details etc. So if I say live in St Catherines and have an issue with dog fouling do I have a representative that covers the area or one member of the council deals with dog fouling and so on. More efficient way of dealing with day to day problems.

I think you're getting Rush Community Council confused with Fingal County Council.
    If you have a problem with dog-fouling you contact the County Council - for Fingal, ask for the litter warden dealing w/ Rush in the Environment Dept.
    So far as I understand it, a Community Council is a committee of volunteer local people who meet and interact with the County Council regarding local issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Cian1991ferrari

EirGrid have just started cutting outside our house!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Background (since I'm new to the discussion, to give you some context):
    • I'm a Rush Local with children attending Rush NS.
    • I believe the health risks for this cable have been entirely over-stated for scare-mongering purposes to rally support. It is a sceintific fact that Canada has a higher magnetic field and there is more risk from using mobile phones than this cable.
    • However, I am not in favour of the disruption that the EirGrid works will cause for the town.
    Some questions:
    1. Does anyone know if the works that are being carried out to public lighting / telegraph poles at various sites around the town is related to EirGrid? They don't appear to have any Traffic Management Plans - they completely blocked Old Road this morning and only frenzied beeping by a few road-users got them to move out of the way. All works to roads that will impact on the carriage way must have a Road-Opening Licence issued by FCC with a Traffic Management Plan showing how traffic disruption will be dealt with.
    2. If those of the protestors also disagree with the disruption aspect of the works why are they parking so many cars around the school in the morning and making it dangerous to get kids into school?
    3. Are all the over-head electrical cables along the route being put underground as part of this works? This would avoid the risk of the cable being struck by such works in the future. And would be a great benefit to the appearance of the town.
    4. Could the anti-EirGrid protest organisers please come clean about the absense of evidence to support their Health-risk claims? A number of mums I've met are convinced their children will get Leukemia / Cancer because of this cable. That is terrible mental anguish to put on a parent and completely unfair since it's entirely unsubstantiated.
    Hopefully all of the above is sufficiently on topic. I look forward to your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

• I believe the health risks for this cable have been entirely over-stated for scare-mongering purposes to rally support. It is a sceintific fact that Canada has a higher magnetic field and there is more risk from using mobile phones than this cable.
    • However, I am not in favour of the disruption that the EirGrid works will cause for the town.
    Some questions:
    1. Does anyone know if the works that are being carried out to public lighting / telegraph poles at various sites around the town is related to EirGrid? They don't appear to have any Traffic Management Plans - they completely blocked Old Road this morning and only frenzied beeping by a few road-users got them to move out of the way. All works to roads that will impact on the carriage way must have a Road-Opening Licence issued by FCC with a Traffic Management Plan showing how traffic disruption will be dealt with.
    2. If those of the protestors also disagree with the disruption aspect of the works why are they parking so many cars around the school in the morning and making it dangerous to get kids into school?
    3. Are all the over-head electrical cables along the route being put underground as part of this works? This would avoid the risk of the cable being struck by such works in the future. And would be a great benefit to the appearance of the town.
    4. Could the anti-EirGrid protest organisers please come clean about the absense of evidence to support their Health-risk claims? A number of mums I've met are convinced their children will get Leukemia / Cancer because of this cable. That is terrible mental anguish to put on a parent and completely unfair since it's entirely unsubstantiated.
    Hopefully all of the above is sufficiently on topic. I look forward to your responses.

There are certainly links between childhood leukemia and electric/magno-electric fields. However Eirgrid are using new technology, which should reduce such risks to a minimal/negiligble level. The problem is because this technology is so new we just don't know the long term effects. I believe they are using it in Vancouver, but again that's only recent.

The first report that has been published said it was safe, but it was caveated heavily - and it didn't deal with spikes - which will regularly happen and will obviously give short bursts of much increased voltage (or whatever the correct term is). While with most people any issues that arise would only arise over a long time period, but a particular concern here would be people with pacemakers who might walk over the wrong spot at the wrong time.

I'm a long way from being an expert, but personally I think its very likely that it is safe. But I can't understand why we are taking the chance with the lives of the people of Rush, when the Rogerstown Estuary alternative route could be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think you're getting Rush Community Council confused with Fingal County Council.
    If you have a problem with dog-fouling you contact the County Council - for Fingal, ask for the litter warden dealing w/ Rush in the Environment Dept.
    So far as I understand it, a Community Council is a committee of volunteer local people who meet and interact with the County Council regarding local issues.

Ohh I know that but these people want to be seen dealing with these issues so they can build up their local profile before they move on to running for FCC. We all seen the photo ops in the local Fingal rags were local community council members pop up complaining of littering or graffiti or speeding cars then suddenly their running for election. Already the community chairperson/No Campaign Chairperson has been mentioned in many quarters to be running for FG in the next FCC elections which has real possibilities. So if they wish to seek the limelight of political office why not get in some early training for the job I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There are certainly links between childhood leukemia and electric/magno-electric fields.
    If I remember correctly, the research that made that finding was based solely studies into electricity transmission via overhead cables supported by pylons & was not in any way related to buried cables such as Eirgrid propose installing in Rush & other locations.

There are certainly links between childhood leukemia and electric/magno-electric fields. However Eirgrid are using new technology, which should reduce such risks to a minimal/negiligble level. The problem is because this technology is so new we just don't know the long term effects. I believe they are using it in Vancouver, but again that's only recent.

Is the new technology you refer to called "digging" since the report about the link about childhood Leukemia the No Campaign keep quoting is about cables on pylons and Eirgrid is burying the cable with shielding?

It comes back to acceptable risk, people are saying Eirgrid is playing with lives but yet your have more chance of dying/serious injury in a car accident than getting cancer from electric magnetic fields. Yet people continue to drive because the advantages far outway the risk.

No scientific report will definately rule out any risk but is it a acceptable risk? Looking again at the figures of the UK report of the possibility of cancer caused by electro magnetic currents from pylon cables in a country cris-crossed like the UK with High voltage super cables you have a greater risk of catching cancer from BBQ food. Then that figure is diluted more in Ireland because are population density is smaller and we have an underdeveloped energy network. So should we ban BBQs in Ireland? Or are they an acceptable risk?

Some questions:

I haven't paid much attention to this protest before the last few days for two reasons. Firstly because the first thing I did when the original Eirgrid notice came in the door was go on Google Scholar and read whatever scientific studies on similar electro magnetic currents and health risks I could find. The studies are conclusively negative. So since the health risks are non existent that left the traffic disruption. Thats annoying but in my view unimportant when the national interest is taken into consideration. I also would far prefer to see temporary traffic disruption than long term damage to the wildlife in Rogerstown Harbour. I was quite stunned that Trevor Sargant seemed to support that option.

So since the health risks are non existent that left the traffic disruption. Thats annoying but in my view unimportant when the national interest is taken into consideration. I also would far prefer to see temporary traffic disruption than long term damage to the wildlife in Rogerstown Harbour. I was quite stunned that Trevor Sargant seemed to support that option.

I mention the disruption because I find it ironic that (other than the works to the poles - anyone know if this is Eirgrid) it is only the protest that is causing disruption for me as I try to get around the town. Perhaps if they let EirGrid just get on with it the traffic disruption would be minimised.

Another point of irony: If the over-head cables down the main street and Channel Road are not being put underground as part of these works then we face further disruption when someone (Rush Community Council or Chamber of Commerce) decides it's needed to beautify the town in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

I mention the disruption because I find it ironic that (other than the works to the poles - anyone know if this is Eirgrid) it is only the protest that is causing disruption for me as I try to get around the town. Perhaps if they let EirGrid just get on with it the traffic disruption would be minimised.

Here here, the voice of reason.

We now face longer disruption due to the interference in the works, please let them get on with it so we can get back to normality asap.

I haven't paid much attention to this protest before the last few days for two reasons. Firstly because the first thing I did when the original Eirgrid notice came in the door was go on Google Scholar and read whatever scientific studies on similar electro magnetic currents and health risks I could find. The studies are conclusively negative. So since the health risks are non existent that left the traffic disruption. Thats annoying but in my view unimportant when the national interest is taken into consideration. I also would far prefer to see temporary traffic disruption than long term damage to the wildlife in Rogerstown Harbour. I was quite stunned that Trevor Sargant seemed to support that option.

Trendy Trev said he wasnt in favour of the existing route but his press release didn't have an alternative route to recommend.

• Advertisement

Another point of irony: If the over-head cables down the main street and Channel Road are not being put underground as part of these works then we face further disruption when someone (Rush Community Council or Chamber of Commerce) decides it's needed to beautify the town in the future.

I can't think of too many areas in Dublin that they have buried pole cables. I know its been talked about for years that the phonelines and electricity cables would be buried. The guys from the council that planted all those trees on the paths directly under the cables must have thought it was going to happen but I suspect the council will be topping or cutting down the trees when the trees start damaging the lines in windy weather before they get buried.

Many busy Rush residents may not have had the opportunity to experience the jewel we are so lucky to have on our doorstep. The Special Protected Area (SPA) of Rogerstown Estuary is very special indeed both nationally and internationally.
    Rogerstown Estuary is an important winter waterfowl site and supports a population of Pale-bellied Brent Goose of international importance (1194 - all counts given are average peaks over the five winters 1996/97 – 2000/01). A further 14 species have populations of national importance as follows: Greylag Goose 87, Shelduck 78, Shoveler 72, Oystercatcher 1794, Ringed Plover 188, Grey Plover 343, Knot 2159, Sanderling 89, Dunlin 3128, Redshank 674, Lapwing 2166, Black-tailed Godwit 212, Greenshank 26 and Turnstone 188. The Greylag Geese are part of a larger population which spends most of the winter on Lambay Island. Other species which occur
    regularly in significant numbers include Wigeon 411, Teal 379, Mallard 267, Redbreasted Merganser 22, Golden Plover 159 and Curlew 245. The numbers of Golden Plover and Lapwing can at times be considerably higher than the averages given above. The presence of Golden Plover is of note as this species is listed on Annex I of the E.U. Birds Directive. Large numbers of gulls, mostly Herring, Great Blackbacked and Black-headed, are attracted to the area, partly due to the presence of an adjacent local authority landfill site.
    Some of the wader species also occur on passage, notably Black-tailed Godwit with numbers often exceeding 300 in April. The estuary is a regular staging post for scarce migrants, especially in autumn when Green Sandpiper, Ruff, Little Stint, Curlew Sandpiper and Spotted Redshank may be seen. Shelduck breed within the site.

Rogerstown Estuary is an important link in the chain of estuaries on the east coast. It supports an internationally important population of Brent Goose and a further 14 species in numbers of national importance.

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/Media,4430,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Some video footage starting to appear on Facebook via YouTube. Said I would share as I know many here would be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35xuB1w0G-o

From about 3mins 40secs in some minor skuffles with Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bowm

Since part of the route is already along the estuary, why not just start the route at the entrance to Rogerstown harbour on the south beach, thus avoiding the town altogether? I can't imagine that is a sensetive area as they had no problem laying pipes for the new sewage treatment plant along that route a couple of years ago.

I can't think of too many areas in Dublin that they have buried pole cables. I know its been talked about for years that the phonelines and electricity cables would be buried. The guys from the council that planted all those trees on the paths directly under the cables must have thought it was going to happen but I suspect the council will be topping or cutting down the trees when the trees start damaging the lines in windy weather before they get buried.

Pretty-much any new residentail developments have put the cables (ESB/ Telecommunications) underground. I suppose existing areas only opt to put cables underground when there are already works going on that will cause disruption. <insert light-bulb ding noise here>

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Some video footage starting to appear on Facebook via YouTube. Said I would share as I know many here would be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35xuB1w0G-o

From about 3mins 40secs in some minor skuffles with Garda.

Good to see our tax payers money spent on such things as moving grannies along and those looking for more excitement than Jeremy Kyle this week. One old lady fell over a cone trying to push against the Garda who tried to help her up and the Garda was told to get his hands off her. What was he expected to do let her hit the ground? I hope they enjoyed the show they put on, certainly opened my eyes to the hooligan behaviour of some in the community. The police chopper was also overhead during the protest so add that cost. There goes that policing budget that some asked for Rush.

What no one has answered in the No Campaign, if their is such a health risk why haven't they got a legal injunction against Eirgrid using the route? Can't the courts over rule the government?

There are certainly links between childhood leukemia and electric/magno-electric fields

The first report that has been published said it was safe, but it was caveated heavily - and it didn't deal with spikes - which will regularly happen and will obviously give short bursts of much increased voltage (or whatever the correct term is). While with most people any issues that arise would only arise over a long time period, but a particular concern here would be people with pacemakers who might walk over the wrong spot at the wrong time.

I'm a long way from being an expert, but personally I think its very likely that it is safe. But I can't understand why we are taking the chance with the lives of the people of Rush, when the Rogerstown Estuary alternative route could be used.

Good post. This covers a lot of the issues we have spoke about during this debate/debacle.

I feel the first report was not up to scratch and the points which people had issue with were dealth with one by one at the public meeting I attended. I just wonder if something is being hid from the people of Rush. Dont know what it is so dont ask but there are to many anolomies

Agree fully with your last paragraph. I cant ubderstand why they dont come up the estuary the Fingal went down it:confused: It might have something to do with Fingal C.C needing whatever money comes their way from licences. I am sure someone will point out if they will get anything.

As for this mornings protest. Fair play to the people who demonstrated in a most peaceful manner and from what I saw and heard were most dignified, they were forceably removed from the road and my best wishes go out to the lady who got injured.

I heard there's another report due out in January and that Eirgrid have said they want to dig up the roads now and put in the ducting/piping, but they will wait until after the report is out before feeding in the electrical cabling.

The protest group want them to at least wait until the findings of the January report is published, before commencing the works.

Personally I'd imagine this report, like the previous one, will say its likely to be safe - but because its new technology and therefore nobody really knows for sure, the new report will be heavily caveated like the previous report.
    I'm just wondering what this new technology is and where I can read up about it e.g. its use in Vancouver? A mum I met this afternoon mentioned New Technology as the basis of her worry re health-risk i.e. that it hasn't been tested and who knows what might turn up in 20 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......A mum I met this afternoon mentioned New Technology as the basis of her worry re health-risk i.e. that it hasn't been tested and who knows what might turn up in 20 years time
    ......and every shop in Rush sells cigarettes yet these 'health' freaks don't seem to be protesting outside their doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Not going to get dragged into an argument here either way, but to smoke or not to smoke is purely down to the choice of the individual. It's not forced upon them whether they like it or not.

Advertisement