Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Srsly?!?!? DC is not new Technology - it's been around since the discovery of electricity, as far as I know. It's at least been around since a bunch of now ancient rockers decided to form a band and call themselves after it: AC/DC. That practically puts it back with the dinosaurs!:D

Edited to add: HVDC just stands for "High Voltage Direct Current". Nothing more sinister (or high tech) than that.

HVDC undergound cables is a relatively new technology, according to eirgrid. Not quite as high tech as SRSLY I'd imagine ;)

By the way, not one person on here said there was anything sinister about it. Its better/safer than whatever went before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

HVDC undergound cables is a relatively new technology, according to eirgrid.
    Have a look at this link: http://americanhistory.si.edu/powering/transmit/trmain.htm in the paragraph on HVDC & Underground Cables it says:
    High-Voltage Direct Current or HVDC lines have been used in some installations since the 1960s

So not that new. I'm off to scour EirGrid's site now to see where they say it is new. I'm wondering why they would do so.
    Not quite as high tech as SRSLY I'd imagine ;)
    Good one! Like it! :D
    By the way, not one person on here said there was anything sinister about it. Its better/safer than whatever went before.
    One of the protestors I met explained her reason for protesting is because a new, un-tested technology was being used by EirGrid and she was afraid for her children's health down the road.
    I asked earlier in the thread what this new technology is, because I want to research if for myself. The only suggestion I've got so far is that "DC" is the new technology and that's not new!
    I only got as far as a B in Honours Physics - and that was in the last Centuary - so I'm hazy on this and open to correction; but so far as I know DC is the type of electicity the dynamo on a bike produces.

If DC isn't this new (and by reference, sinister) technology then what is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think I actually asked this question before but with so many posters in here in recent days it might be worth asking again.

Who actually lives on the Eirgrid route that posts here? I mean on the route not two estates over or two lanes to the left or 500m away but can actually walk out of their garden into the Eirgrid dig if they want to when it goes by.

After all the person who lives on the route has potential 24/7 exposure to magnetic fields or traffic disruption don't they so they have most at risk don't they.

I live on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭antopanto

There are certainly links between childhood leukemia and electric/magno-electric fields. However Eirgrid are using new technology, which should reduce such risks to a minimal/negiligble level. The problem is because this technology is so new we just don't know the long term effects. I believe they are using it in Vancouver, but again that's only recent.

The first report that has been published said it was safe, but it was caveated heavily - and it didn't deal with spikes - which will regularly happen and will obviously give short bursts of much increased voltage (or whatever the correct term is). While with most people any issues that arise would only arise over a long time period, but a particular concern here would be people with pacemakers who might walk over the wrong spot at the wrong time.

I'm a long way from being an expert, but personally I think its very likely that it is safe. But I can't understand why we are taking the chance with the lives of the people of Rush, when the Rogerstown Estuary alternative route could be used.

Not been funny or owt, but as it is new technology, and there are real risks to young children, it is not a risk worth taking. I bet the director of Eirgrid does not live on the main road were this is being laid, and that he doesn't have young children being exposed to this. If I lived in Rush I would absolutely furious. Why take the risk, Eirgrid can well afford to re-route this, the only thing it will affect is there profit margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

antopanto wrote: »
    but as it is new technology, and there are real risks to young children.

prove both.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eirgrid Leukemia Children
    I have deliberately stayed out of this "debate", restricting my posts to moderating matters to date, but I must say this is scaremongering of the highest order, and I have seen absolutely nothing in this thread or elsewhere that supports this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It certainly wasn't meant to be! At most, all that it amounts to is a discenting opinion.

I hadn't actually heard that / didn't know of that rumour. In my experience, all of us have an agenda - essentially it is same thing as what motivates us, in my opinion. I've already stated mine: concern for my friends and neighbours being mis-led into taking such an extreme stance.
    I was puzzling as to what could motivate people - by which I mean the leaders of the campaign - to be so strident in their rejection of anything said by any discenting voice. This is what led me to wonder about there being a political agenda.

I'm interested to know what information is being kept quiet by EirGrid.

My guess is that it's cheaper to come through the road-ways than to go through farmer's fields around the town.

As I understand it, the estuary is absolutely jammers with pipelines already - particularly those that make land-fall.
    I think perhaps the atmosphere could have been a lot more highly charged had the Gardaí *not* been known to the locals in the protest.

Like you, I have huge regard for this town that I've adopted as my home. I also hope that this will not become a completely devisive issue for the people of Rush - the town has had its share of devisive issues in the past.

Please excuse me, what I should have posted was, why have EirGrid been so underhanded, used inaccurate information, not waited for final report. Sorry.

The local Gardái I feel could be taking insults for years over this. This was my point. I do feel most, 99% of the people there were genuine but it only takes 1 gobs***e and we could have had a serious problem on our hands.

Agree we have had our share of divisive issues and dont need any more.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I think I actually asked this question before but with so many posters in here in recent days it might be worth asking again.

Who actually lives on the Eirgrid route that posts here?

I live on the route.

I dont think it matters where anyone lives. I spoke to 2 people yesterday who I would say both are 2 busy to post here. I dont live outside Leinster House but have an opinion on the people inside it. Am I to stay quite on this?

There are quite a few who read this who live on the route and others who just believe its wrong.
    Why take the risk, Eirgrid can well afford to re-route this, the only thing it will affect is there profit margins.

I simply dont believe Eirgrid, they have been underhanded in the way they conduct business, Eamonn Ryan is two faced the way he went about things. People are right to make a protest if they feel they are being screwed again.

Undermeoxter. It has been stated thats its also €5,000,000 cheaper to come up the Estuary,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So has there been any progress in the last couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the figure of 5 million is a bit steep for laying ducting over that distance. the shorter the route the cheaper. obviously depending on the surface its going through. ie road or fields.

i think there may be a bigger strategy at work here. i wonder if it was a masterplan to divide rush by being econimcal with the truth as to form 2 very strong opinons and thus reducing the amount of people for or against either side?

if re route eirgrid came out with solid facts , they could have swayed everyone bar a small percentage. but the facts they came out with were open to interpretation. I think reroute eirgrids campaign turned me against them.

i dont however like eirgrids dealing of the situation but i dont think see how it differs from any other construction company i have worked for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

So has there been any progress in the last couple of days?
    Not here, anyways!:rolleyes:;)

Not here, anyways!:rolleyes:;)

Not so sure I agree with you. This whole thing is nearly done and barring some miracle EirGrid will just plough ahead. Once the road was cut it was like a stabbing for some people.
    Martron wrote:
    i think there may be a bigger strategy at work here. i wonder if it was a masterplan to divide rush by being econimcal with the truth as to form 2 very strong opinons and thus reducing the amount of people for or against either side?
    Could well be just that. If so they are not as thick and ignorant as they appear

Think whats coming accross now is is a "review" of sorts. Most people on here have not really budged. People like me and there are quite a few of us decided to support the Re Route campaign because we didnt like what we heard at the meetings and remember this resulted in approx 3,000 locals taking to the street.

If EirGrid had waited another 5 weeks for the independent report we would not have had people on the street this week but they have been so underhanded in their dealing along with Eamon Ryan Green T.D they have just further alienated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

bowm wrote: »
    Since part of the route is already along the estuary, why not just start the route at the entrance to Rogerstown harbour on the south beach, thus avoiding the town altogether? I can't imagine that is a sensetive area as they had no problem laying pipes for the new sewage treatment plant along that route a couple of years ago.

If you look at the eirgrid website you will find a detailed report of all the routes considered and why each of those routes were problematic and separately I've already posted above on the importance of the Rogerstown Area.

LeoB wrote: »
    I dont think it matters where anyone lives. I spoke to 2 people yesterday who I would say both are 2 busy to post here. I dont live outside Leinster House but have an opinion on the people inside it. Am I to stay quite on this?

There are quite a few who read this who live on the route and others who just believe its wrong.

The protest was looking pretty light at 8am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

A few pictures of the "chaos" protest on the Rush Website.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    A few pictures of the "chaos" protest on the Rush Website.

Really only photos of the Eirgrid lads and garda trying to do their jobs. The site seems to have been very careful in not posting many photos of protesting residents themselves. Whats that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Leo I believe that even if it were possible to reroute the eirgrid through Rogerstown Estuary(due to rock and existing cables it's claimed it isn't) I am aware that the EU would fight the potential decimation of the SPA. Unless there are no other options like with the sewerage works getting permission would be a long process which would be unlikely to succeed.

A year from now people in Rush will wonder what all the fuss was about. Now I'm of to attend a protest against events that really will decimate Rush community - and every community in Ireland and the future of our children and grandchildren for a generation at least. Hope some of you will also make your way to Woodquay for 11.00am.

imokyrok wrote: »
    If you look at the eirgrid website you will find a detailed report of all the routes considered and why each of those routes were problematic and separately I've already posted above on the importance of the Rogerstown Area.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

We seem to be reanswering the same questions in this thread all the time just with more scientific data added from two new really good logical posters in the last week but the same old arguments consistently get pointed out by the pro No Campaign posters here as if they are just skimming the thread replies or unprepared to listen or read the links.

Whatever happened to the "precautionary principle"? It was the favourite phrase a couple of months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So is the "Rush Needs You" facebook page the only online connection now with the community on this? It seems the RushCC blogspot has disappeared, or have I got the wrong link?

I am trying to find where the Rush CC are sharing their information/reasons/objection logic/etc online with the people of Rush.

If anyone has other links with this, please share. Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Picking up on Corsendonk's point above, we are now into our 26th page of "debate" on this matter. In terms of the potential health impacts, I am not sure there is anything more to say, and it appears very unlikely that anyone will be swayed further. I think we have reached the stage where there is no point in going back over the same ground again and again.

Hence, from now on there should be no further discussion of the health issues unless it is new information (ie not already covered in this thread), and you can back-up your statements, which means stating your source - no further unsubstantiated speculation will be allowed.

If there is something you wish to post, and are unsure if it is acceptable in light of the above, PM me or Hill Billy first

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So is the "Rush Needs You" facebook page the only online connection now with the community on this? It seems the RushCC blogspot has disappeared, or have I got the wrong link?

I am trying to find where the Rush CC are sharing their information/reasons/objection logic/etc online with the people of Rush.

If anyone has other links with this, please share. Thanks.

The blogspot disappeared on Thursday when the members of RCC/No Campaign were served with injunctions by Eirgrid which also prevented them from attending the protests on Channel Road. I assume that the blog or more specifically what was said on it breached the injunction and breaching an injunction doesn't look good on a potential councillor CV.

I am in favour of technology but when Facebook becomes the main instrument of communication to our community so called Community Council its a joke. They should have at least posted general contact details, general postal address, Community Council on-call mobile telephone number etc on the Rush website rather than set up a blog for an individual to promote herself rather than the community council. There wasn't even contact details on the blog. Eirgrid at least on all their pamplets I have received in the last month have contact numbers for people to call to voice their concerns or ask questions. Communication with RCC seems to me to be all one way unless your fortunate to personnally know the individuals who run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ichiban

I am offering a prize for the correct answer to how long your granny would have to lie down above the dreaded killer cable in order to get the same exposure as from an MRI scan!!!! (Hint - no answers of less than a year full time 24/7, will win this prize)

Answer
    3,000,000 micro Tesla x 0.5 hours = 1,500,000 Micro Tesla / hours - 'exposure' for an MRI scan

Circa 40 Micro Tesla from the "Killer Cable" means its takes 1,500,000 / 40 = 37,500 hours = 1,562 days = 4.2 years

So to get the same 'exposure' as from a single MRI scan you need to strap your granny to the ground above the site of the cable, 24/7 for 4.2 years!!!!

The protest on health and safety grounds is just BS

Ichiban wrote: »
    The protest on health and safety grounds is just BS

See my post above - no further discussion on health issues, unless it's new information

Thanks

Beasty

Dear Beasty

I appreciate your position and agree that people should site references and back up what they are saying, however;

I don't believe its appropriate that the discussion of safety issues be curtailed so long as the CC continues to put out flyers and hold meetings peddling their agenda. I would also very much welcome if people stop repeating their positions from behind sandbags, but you need to ask the CC to stop shoving flasehoods in my letter box and repeating inappropriate or inapplicable science from their soapbox's and then I will very gladly stop feeling a need to respond.

No discussion of moderation in-thread - use PMs

My decision on discussing health issues stands

Beasty

Local TD James Reilly Statement in Support of No Campaign

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=157140164331471&set=a.132246500154171.16610.115079605204194

I must learn how to do that fancy link feature:eek:

imokyrok wrote: »
    Leo I believe that even if it were possible to reroute the eirgrid through Rogerstown Estuary(due to rock and existing cables it's claimed it isn't) I am aware that the EU would fight the potential decimation of the SPA. Unless there are no other options like with the sewerage works getting permission would be a long process which would be unlikely to succeed.

A year from now people in Rush will wonder what all the fuss was about. Now I'm of to attend a protest against events that really will decimate Rush community - and every community in Ireland and the future of our children and grandchildren for a generation at least. Hope some of you will also make your way to Woodquay for 11.00am.

I believe it is is possible to re route. I simply dont believe EirGrid.

Unfortunatley I was working this morning and like my work collegues could not make it to Woodquay. There is a way out of this also. Default on the bond holders. But I aint going there.

I'm minded to start a campaign of public meetings, letters to public representatives and getting my neighbours to stand around shouting in the cold with placards about this injustice.

Rebellion against this injustice I say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 quackduck

From all I've followed on this post, its classic not it my back yard stuff! Scaremongering from the No campaign just for their own agenda. First it was compensation, then health was important, then traffic disruption and back to health- using whatever it takes to keep the public support.

Leaflets with no names summarises this campaign and any reasonable person will realise this and should not let themseleves be bulllied by a group of nimbys. I guess thats why their blog came down-lots of false claims there that cannot be backed up!

Resistance to such an important project for ireland won't get this country out of the mess we're in. How embarassing for us Irish.

I think all the No campaign should turn their electricity off and all their comforts, revert to living with candles- thats progress. Guess they don't think about how they get electricty today in this cold weather and who lives besides those lines!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ichiban wrote: »

I'm minded to start a campaign of public meetings, letters to public representatives and getting my neighbours to stand around shouting in the cold with placards about this injustice.

Rebellion against this injustice I say :)

Or as Father Ted once said "Down with this sort of thing".

I've been following this thread for a while now but by far the funniest thing written so far was the reference to Claire Daly's site where she TWICE uses a island nation in the Pacific Ocean as the unit for measuring magnetic fields! And she 's going to be running for election?

Advertisement