Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Spidermany wrote: »
    Corsendonk - I didn't say you started the rumour I merely asked all those repeating it had it been substantiated. As you had repeated it I was, incorrectly obviously, anticipating a response.
    If you had quoted Corsendonk's post, it may have been clearer that you were expecting a response to his specific statement - as it was you could have been referring to any number of posts that included reference to this, and I would not have expected any of those posters to respond to your "request", as they were simply referring to something that someone else posted.

Now back on topic

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ichiban

No posts for over 10 days. From anyone. Its spooky

Has all the fuss just gone away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ichiban wrote: »
    No posts for over 10 days. From anyone. Its spooky

Has all the fuss just gone away?

Dont think it has gone away. Protest every Saturday at EirGrid mis information office in Rush

B.T.W. The work is nowhere near moving at 30ft a day. May have been excuse last week with the snow & Ice but they had plenty of plant equipment so Ice should not have been a problem.

Slán

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

LeoB wrote: »
    Dont think it has gone away. Protest every Saturday at EirGrid mis information office in Rush

Oooooh.. the sly dig.
    B.T.W. The work is nowhere near moving at 30ft a day. May have been excuse last week with the snow & Ice but they had plenty of plant equipment so Ice should not have been a problem.

Slán

That doesnt make it any safer for the lads working on foot, youre a Rushian, you know what the roads/paths were like last week. But yeah, no excuse for not working these last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Slán

I'm not an engineer and my knowledge on the subject is limited but I think concrete doesn't cure properly when the temperature goes close to 0 deg. I don't think the availability of equipment eliminates that problem. Slow progress nothing to do with ice on the roads/paths

Is the office manned on a Saturday?

• Advertisement

Oooooh.. the sly dig.

That doesnt make it any safer for the lads working on foot, youre a Rushian, you know what the roads/paths were like last week. But yeah, no excuse for not working these last few days.

No sly dig intended. If I were giving a dig I would be a little more upfront.

A lot of our public services worked last week albeit with not a full service. They have been there for nearly 4 weeks and have not mover at the rate they said would, Even allowing for the weather.

Dont know if the office is open on Saturday but I would assume it is or it would be a pointless protest. At this stage maybe its pointless anyway I here you all say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A lot of our public services worked last week albeit with not a full service. They have been there for nearly 4 weeks and have not mover at the rate they said would, Even allowing for the weather.
    Look at the projected time to get from Blakes cross to Ballyboughil and the actual time.
    Eirgrid are jokers.

Also look at the eirgrid.ie wesite

Oh there isn't one, you have to check eirgrid.com; where .com means commercial. Eirgrid are a commercial semi state company like bord gais or Dublin Airport and will screw you over if it means more profit for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Look at the projected time to get from Blakes cross to Ballyboughil and the actual time.
    Eirgrid are jokers.

Also look at the eirgrid.ie wesite

Oh there isn't one, you have to check eirgrid.com; where .com means commercial. Eirgrid are a commercial semi state company like bord gais or Dublin Airport and will screw you over if it means more profit for them.

Sorry but whats your point? Semi state bodies can't make a profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

I'm not an engineer and my knowledge on the subject is limited but I think concrete doesn't cure properly when the temperature goes close to 0 deg. I don't think the availability of equipment eliminates that problem. Slow progress nothing to do with ice on the roads/paths

Is the office manned on a Saturday?

you are correct concrete need heat to cure.

50m is an acceptable amount of progress each day for a trench of 1.2 depth and 1.2 width.

the ground around here is not much more than sandy soil. cant imagine it being hard digging.

anyway not sure why there is such slow progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Walked past the flat earth society protest today in Rush, came back a short time later and the front window of the Eirgrid office was done in with a rock, science is not on your side there is always violence.

• Advertisement

fayer wrote: »
    Walked past the flat earth society protest today in Rush, came back a short time later and the front window of the Eirgrid office was done in with a rock, science is not on your side there is always violence.

Did you see one of the Re-Route EirGrid protesters do this? If you know one of them done it you should do your civic duty and call the Gardái 01 8437202.

I got a text to my phone saying Peaceful Protest.
    I have not been any of these Saturday protests but I did hear one of the people who is give instructions on the Channel Rd when things got a bit heated "under no circumstances" did they want any young lads causing trouble and if they did there were to inform the Gardái.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Walked past the flat earth society protest today in Rush
    Statements like that tend to kick things off & are trollish. Tone it down.

If you want to debate the matter in a civil fashion - go ahead. If not, do not post in this thread again.

HB

Second time in 3 weeks that the window has been put in. The people doing it dont even have the interests of the protesters at heart, theyre just doing it because they know its vandalism they can get away with.

What progress has been made on channel road? The last time I walked down past it was when it was snowing two weeks ago, they had just gotten past that crossroads. Are they much farther up the road now?

Second time in 3 weeks that the window has been put in. The people doing it dont even have the interests of the protesters at heart, theyre just doing it because they know its vandalism they can get away with.

What progress has been made on channel road? The last time I walked down past it was when it was snowing two weeks ago, they had just gotten past that crossroads. Are they much farther up the road now?

They have moved about 40 yards this week. Just looking at the tailbacks on the Main St during the week and there will be a lot of angry motorists when they do start work on the street

I know a good few involved in the protest and I am fairly sure they would be disgusted if vandalism was taking place using the campaign as a means to justify it. While some here might not agree with the protest I am sure they would admit its highly unlikely the organisers would stand over this behaviour.

Problem with these protests is you attract the hot heads or the ones looking a little more excitement than this sleepy town offers to them so they become freedom fighters in their own minds.

Reading some of the posts from supporters of the No Campaign on Facebook the members of RCC served with injuctions have become the New Birmingham 6. That doesn't really help the emotion levels. You be surprised how calm decent members of any community can be whipped up into a frenzy by an emotional crowd to commit criminal acts that you would never suspect them of carrying out.

I would have thought the Eirgrid office would have CCTV installed, its in a prominate position for eye witnesses and would have Garda priority so doesn't really bode well that they haven't arrested anyone for 2 separate incidents of vandalism. How people can have double standards of accepting vandalism to the Eirgrid office while complaining about vandalism to other areas of the town such as the scouts den is beyond me. Not that I am implying that posters here have double standards.

While I seriously doubt anyone involved with the protest would outwardly support acts of vandalism committed against Eirgrid, I also doubt they would be too upset by it either. 'Eye for an Eye' and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Statements like that tend to kick things off & are trollish. Tone it down.

If you want to debate the matter in a civil fashion - go ahead. If not, do not post in this thread again.

HB

Sorry, local resident that has lost all faith after the junk I get in the door about this project.

On the topic of the window, there was a good 30 min gap between the 2 times I past, can't say who did it, but it must have been seen there was at least 8 protesters there + passers by.

Sorry, local resident that has lost all faith after the junk I get in the door about this project.

On the topic of the window, there was a good 30 min gap between the 2 times I past, can't say who did it, but it must have been seen there was at least 8 protesters there + passers by.

Well said, sums up the feelings of the silent majority in this town. I established an account in 2007 but didn't really use it until I started to get all the junk mail in my door from the No Campaign or read about them in the media with their poorly researched claims, most of which was regurgitated several times on posts against the Eirgrid route on here.

Just to point this out to anyone in Rush & Ballyboughal who might be involved in voluntary or community groups and have not yet been notified by their community council. Deadline for applications is the end of next month:eek:

http://swordsdublin.net/news_swords_county_dublin.html
    The East West Interconnector will connect the Irish electricity grid to the national grid in Wales, enhancing security of energy supply, facilitating growth of renewable energy and bringing more competition to the electricity market of Ireland.
    EirGrid committed to making a grant of €ioo,000 to the communities in Fingal in gratitude for facilitating the temporary disruption caused during the installation of the Interconnector.
    The grant funding scheme will be administered through the Funding & Information Unit of Fingal County Council. All voluntary and community groups working in the Rush and Ballyboughal areas are welcome to apply for funding between €1,000 and €8,000.
    Application forms and criteria are available from the EirGrid Information Centre in Rush. You can also request a copy by contacting Rowena Dunne, Fingal County Council on 018905108 or by post to Community, Culture and Sports Department, Fingal County Council, Main Street, Swords.
    All applications should be made directly to Fingal County Council, Main Street, Swords. The closing date for applications is r pm on Monday 31st January 2011.
    Co-financed by the European Union. No funds are for community groups in Swords as works in progress do no affect this area.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Just to point this out to anyone in Rush & Ballyboughal who might be involved in voluntary or community groups and have not yet been notified by their community council. Deadline for applications is the end of next month:eek:

http://swordsdublin.net/news_swords_county_dublin.html

Surely as a point of principle, no one who has objected to this route could have anything to do with these grants.

• Advertisement

Surely as a point of principle, no one who has objected to this route could have anything to do with these grants.

My thoughts exactly but if you read some of the objectors posts there was an under current of how much extra more on top of the 100,000 could we get out of Eirgrid and the EU if we kicked up a fuss. A good old fashion "shakedown" what they hadn't worked out is that Eirgrid is part of the government and we are/were a net contributor to the EU so basically we were shaking down ourselves as Irish tax payers.

I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if they still demanded a share of the 100,000 if the route was changed away from Rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I have to say, My biggest issues with Eirgrid was the disruption of main street because I thought a lot of business would be lost. To be fair to them the disruption is and was minimal.

They TORE through Rush! Hardly noticed them there :S

So the world didn't end then?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

They TORE through Rush! Hardly noticed them there :S

Funny how when the protestors finally let them get on with the job the disruption got much less!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

Corsendonk wrote: »
    ...there was an under current of ...

Only just spotted this! LOL!
    You're a divil!:D

Funny how when the protestors finally let them get on with the job the disruption got much less!

:rolleyes:

The disruption didnt get any less:confused: I agree they are moving fairly quickly now but the remember the protest was against the route not the project and this fact has not changed nor the fact they took the more expensive option. That estimated €5 would be a welcome boost to many floundering small business.

It will be interesting to see how they replce the roads they dug up. There was not a great job done in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

The disruption didnt get any less:confused: I agree they are moving fairly quickly now but the remember the protest was against the route not the project and this fact has not changed nor the fact they took the more expensive option. That estimated €5 would be a welcome boost to many floundering small business.

It will be interesting to see how they replce the roads they dug up. There was not a great job done in parts.

I think the problems on Rush's main street are very little to do with Eirgrid! The entire road needs replacing since the snow. In fact, as soon as Eirgrid are finished I'll be writing to Fingal County Council on the subject.As for the ramps......oh, those ramps....:mad:

dan_d wrote: »
    I think the problems on Rush's main street are very little to do with Eirgrid! The entire road needs replacing since the snow. In fact, as soon as Eirgrid are finished I'll be writing to Fingal County Council on the subject.As for the ramps......oh, those ramps....:mad:

Well no point mentioning the Channel Road. FCC have it listed for digging up in Q2 for the waste water treatment scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

I attended a public meeting in Rush NS where James Reilly stated that when Fine Gael are in power that Eirgrid will not be going through the town.

I've since heard that he's changed his position, but I can't find any support to this.

Has anyone any valid links to indicate a change of mind on his part? I have emailed him, but of course he hasn't replied (not surprising bearing in mind the week that's in it).

Thanks

Advertisement