Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

LeoB wrote: »
    Thats about as rare as Mrs Windsor visiting Croke Park.

Well......., maybe we can rely on Eirgrid and James Reilly so, but personally I'll wait for pigs to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Finally got a few shots today.........

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5738152514_804f5e0280.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Our Golden North beach

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5738150030_4bc3c961a0.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Lovely to see the beach I grew up on turned into a construction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

am pretty sure they will take those excavators with them when they are finished!

Martron wrote: »
    am pretty sure they will take those excavators with them when they are finished!

Well feck them! I wanted one of them

• Advertisement

The one with the black arm is deadly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

they are great fun !!

that long reach one would be ideal for my back garden..... seing that i dont have a side gate it could reach over the top of my house.

That'll be some mighty big sandcastle...

LeoB, how does the North Beach look now?

Spidermany wrote: »
    LeoB, how does the North Beach look now?

This is a panorama I took from cliffs last evening. If out with camera later will get a close up and post it but it looked a right mess.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5783428578_62397ccd4e.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Sure you can zoom in on your P.C or laptop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Eirgrid has some photos of the dig in there news update section

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/projects/east-westinterconnector/projectactivity/

You can also see a list of the 39 clubs in DCN to benefit from the Eirgrid Fund. Amazing that no one has mentioned this already.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    http://www.eirgridprojects.com/projects/east-westinterconnector/projectactivity/

You can also see a list of the 39 clubs in DCN to benefit from the Eirgrid Fund. Amazing that no one has mentioned this already.

It was mentioned a while ago by a few people.I think some felt why would any local club take money from them.

While I opposed the route taken the deal had been done and if they were handing out a few bob to local clubs to assist in providing faci.ites and recreation the more they hand out the better

It was mentioned a while ago by a few people.I think some felt why would any local club take money from them.

While I opposed the route taken the deal had been done and if they were handing out a few bob to local clubs to assist in providing faci.ites and recreation the more they hand out the better

Yeah I noticed most of them didn't smile when they took the cheque. Besides the official Eirgrid fund didn't Eirgrid provide a local club with a substantial donation for roof repair?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed most of them didn't smile when they took the cheque. Besides the official Eirgrid fund didn't Eirgrid provide a local club with a substantial donation for roof repair?

They sure did €40,000. But there is alwats a but......

Way before any community campaign to have Eirgrid re routed the club in question, St. Maurs G.A.A. club with me as Chairman had approached Eirgrid assisted by one of our members who ended up strongly opposed to Eirgrid route and a driving force of the re route Eirgrid campaign. So this money was sought way before most locals ever heard of Eirgrid.

Prior to this money coming our way we had done a survey of where we could get corporate sponsorship as neither I nor the committee wanted to go around Rush again hitting the same people.

We also got advice from a developer (not local) as to where money could be got. We made a superb presentation to various bodies which was warmly recieved and you may remember in another thread we actually turned down money from one as this might have caused bad feeling in the community and with our neighbours around the club. One other deal unfortunatley fell through on us which involved a 6 figure sum to start with but it may be back on the table but this time I am unsure we could take it on as we could fall €500,000 short of what we might need. However the cost of our plans have come down by about €400,000 from our estimated 2007 figures. So we may launch a new plan by spring 2012

This is the latest set up on the north Beach.
    The big digger arrived yesterday morning. The smaller one has been there for few weeks and the tug fiurther out assists them moving. They were working away at 10.30 last night.
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5794491895_854aacff13.jpg[/EMAIL]">
    This from the hill leading to North Beach caravan park. Wonder what the tourists make of it all
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5794489983_7db5857cd4.jpg[/EMAIL]">

This the real beauty of the area
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5795049836_c3749c04ea.jpg[/EMAIL]">

And I thought the original barge/excavator was big. They don't stop working until it's fully dark either.

Kema Report , was it worth it?, the delays, the extra costs to the Irish taxpayer, the footage of anti social behaviour in Rush on national media and the net? Pitting neighbour against neighbour, paranoia of big business and government, encouraging science hatred. For what? A report that tells us that its safe which most of us that had researched around had established already. A little more money from Eirgrid for the community? Furthering the political career of one or two individuals who jumped on it as a way to increase their media profile outside their golden circle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

While I knew that there were going to be no health issues proven (never ask a question that you dont know the answer to) I do feel there was a valid point to be made. From what I can see there was no need to traverse the centre of Rush to get to the north beach and the south beach looks like it could provide the same conditions as the north. The conspiracy theorist in me would believe the stories that the birds took preference over the people.

Its funny how the politicians get involved after the protests start rather than objecting at the start but theres probably more votes in doing it that way which i suppose is all our faults

What happened to a gentleman's word being his bond. I'm sick to my back teeth of people making promises and then not keeping them. If James Reilly has changed his mind surely it's time he had the b**ls to admit it publically.

Would you believe that despite the fact I've been trying to contact James Reilly since before the election I am still unable to get confirmation as to when he will re-route Eirgrid as he promised, or even if he intends to admit the fact that he doesn't intend to keep his promise.

Corsendunk, was it worth it? Yes, I'm glad I exercised my democratic right to protest. As for the cost to the taxpayer, well maybe they should get rid of a few TD's or the Seanad? or maybe an SNA or two- Oh but I forgot they're already doing that, well in that case it was obviously a waste of money, time, energy etc.

Would you believe that despite the fact I've been trying to contact James Reilly since before the election I am still unable to get confirmation as to when he will re-route Eirgrid as he promised, or even if he intends to admit the fact that he doesn't intend to keep his promise.

Not really surprised to be honest with an election around the corner. everything and anything is always promised to get votes and supporting the re-routing Eirgrid would have brought in the sway voters locally to help Reilly top the poll. I found an old pre-election copy of the FG Local Update on his website which he asks for the re-routing. I did see somewhere a quote that he was awaiting the Kema Report to make his final decision but can't track it down. Most likely you will get a reply to that effect in the next 6 months, pity nobody filmed or asked him to put in writing what he said at the Golf Club meeting. But then again he did write this letter to the people of Roscommon when he was Health Minister in waiting.

• Advertisement

I think the whole process was a mess from the word go. This could all be finished months ago had there been more openness from day 1 as I have stated from day 1. That was my only reason for taking sides. I dont think this was ever going to be stopped and in all honesty I dont think there is anymore danger form this than other infrastructural work that goes on in Ireland. But people do have a right to raise concerns and object and the re route campaign done this very well. There were a few at the function last in nSt. Maurs for the offical re opening of the clubhouse and the presentation from EirGrid to St. Maurs of a substantial amount of money towards the new roof on the club house

One thing I am delighted about is quite a few people got up off their arses and got motivated to do something in the town. It has had a positive knock on effect for Rush in general.

I met a few people from EirGrid last night and they were very nice indeed. I didnt bring up the protest but they knew who I was and one actually asked me for a particular photo I took and I will happily forward it to them Monday morning. They must have been watching our debate here.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6179161102_8e117a6c5d.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Forgot to mention above that every sitting politican in our area was invited to the function last night Mr. Reilly didnt even reply but Brendan Ryan and Alan Farrell were there. Senator Darragh O'Brien and former Cllr Joe Corr. Will confirm later who didnt even bother to reply and who didnt bother turning up.

Will confirm later who didnt even bother to reply and who didnt bother turning up.

Thanks Leo.

I'm still trying to find out from Minister Reilly has he changed his mind about re-routing Eirgrid - haha.

Wouldn't have thought it would take months to get the answer to a yes/no question.

Still I have to say the lady I speak to in his office is terribly nice despite the fact she must be sick of hearing from me.

Am I allowed to start a thread called "Why I will never vote for James Reilly"?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not in this forum;)

Thanks Leo.

Wouldn't have thought it would take months to get the answer to a yes/no question.

she must be sick of hearing from me.

1) It doesnt suprise me at all

2) Keep phoning

3) Beasty answered that but maybe we should have a spot the politican thread where we can all see who is attending functions and who is not!! Met Alan Farrell for the first time and was dis appointed I didnt get the chance to sit and chat to him. I might not be a fan but would just liked to have had a chat. Maybe when I told him who I was he done an exit stage left!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I spotted this in the Indo this morning:

Pre-Viking burial site unearthed by EirGrid dig for underground power lines

By Sarah Stack
    Friday September 30 2011

Early Christian remains have been uncovered by contractors working on the largest energy project in the country.

The medieval burial ground was discovered on farmland in Rush, north Dublin, in June as EirGrid laid piping for a high voltage direct current (HVDC) underground power line.

Radiocarbon tests at Queens University, Belfast, have revealed the site dates back to the seventh century, from between 617 to 675 AD.

Archaeologists would not speculate on the number of remains on the site but confirmed they were pre-Viking and from the conversion period of Christianity.

John Fitzgerald, project director with Eirgrid, said: "It is an interesting historical discovery for the project, local archaeologists and the local community.

"We are working with Fingal County Council and the National Monuments Service, and will provide more detailed information to the public about the archaeological site as soon as we know more."

The current phase of defining the extent and content of the find is expected to be finished between the middle and end of October.

Investigations are continuing into the use of the site for burial, the possible existence of other features which may be associated with it, or proof of activity which pre-date or post-date the era.

Fingal County Council said the site will add greatly to its knowledge of the area's history.

Heritage officer Gerry Clabby said: "This discovery at Rush appears to be from the early Christian period.

"Every discovery from this period adds to our knowledge and understanding of what life was like over 1,400 years ago in Fingal.

"There have been a number of similar discoveries of previously unknown archaeological sites in Fingal in recent years."

EirGrid, a state-owned company, has been mandated to develop the interconnector by 2012.

The €600m east-west interconnector will link Ireland's and Britain's national grid with an underwater pipeline from Wales to Rush.

Well I'm still chasing James Reilly because he hasn't had the courtesy to answer my question.

I sent him an email and decided to cc a load of other politicians too.

Clare Daly replied that she's getting nowhere either.

Hill Billy, that's a really interesting article. I'd love to know how the farmer feels about it. I presume he's unable to use his land at the moment.

http://www.rushcoco.ie/eirgrid/

EirGrid in Rush - Our Story.
    1. The KEMA Report – final report and second “final” report:

1.1. Fully checked and approved report released on 20th June.

The KEMA report into health and safety issues of the EirGrid East-West Interconnector in Rush was released by KEMA Nederland BV on the 20th of June; the report was detailed by KEMA as being “fully checked and approved”. The report had been sent to EirGrid and Rush Community Council on the 9th of June in draft format to allow for comments from each party to be addressed

1.2. Due to EirGrid’s objection to the report’s content a further report was issued on 30th June.

On release of the signed off and approved report EirGrid immediately objected and requested that the report be recalled and reissued as a draft again so they could suggest changes to the published final report. Despite Rush Community Council’s objection KEMA permitted EirGrid to do this and subsequently issued another report on the 30th of June. Rush Community Council believes this is effectively EirGrid maintaining editorial control over the report’s content.
    1.3. Key content in report’s findings changed in second version.

In issuing this second “final” report KEMA made several changes requested by EirGrid including reducing the strength of time-varying magnetic fields from 120 microTesla to 60 microTesla. These time-varying magnetic fields are significantly higher than the 0.4 microTesla rate at which children have twice the risk of leukaemia*.

*As referenced by - British Medical Journal article on the Oxford Childhood Cancer Research Group - Draper Report.

2. Safety Concerns:

2.1. Cable failure has been confirmed as possible.

KEMA have confirmed cable failure is possible, by internal or external mechanisms; e.g. short circuit or “dig in”.
    2.2. Energy release in failure will be significant – up to 20,000 Amps.

KEMA have confirmed there will be enormous forces at work if such a failure occurs. For example up to 20,000 Amps of electrical current may be released – this is an astonishing figure for a system in such close proximity to people’s homes. KEMA use couched language in this section, for example “heat dissipation in the direct vicinity of the cable... will lead to a quick expansion of local material... may lead to displacement and rupture of the soil... together with hot fumes and fire”. This sounds like a text book description of an explosion and does not inspire confidence as the system has been installed at short distances to gas-mains throughout the town.
    2.3. Cable failure will also induce a massive magnetic field.

The report also mentions that in a failure situation “Lorentz forces” will push the cables sideways. This will again affect parallel infrastructure, such as gas mains, at close distances. There is a convoluted description of how Lorentz forces work which can be easily summed up by stating: a massive magnetic field caused during failure will push the cables apart.
    2.4. KEMA note there is a lack of information regarding HVDC.

The KEMA report notes “there is a lack of information regarding the HVDC service experience”. Given Direct Current has different reactive properties to Alternating Current and there is a noted lack of information perhaps prudent avoidance of people’s homes should have been observed. The system comes within 1.5 meters (5ft) of property in Rush.
    2.5. KEMA note deviations from stated design.

KEMA have noted that based on our evidence, photographs and video, the cable ducts have not been installed as planned; that is with a base layer of Cement Bound Material (CBM). EirGrid have written to RCC stating that this layer of CBM is in place. Our evidence refutes this statement. This matter has been with Fingal County Council for approximately 7 months. We still await their decision. KEMA also note: “Under time pressure it might be possible that the installation is not completely up to design standards”.
    2.6. The cable system is installed inside the restricted tree clearance area.

EirGrid have produced a stipulation as follows:

Tree Planting Restrictions
    To eliminate damage to the cable as a result of tree planting, EirGrid requires a 2 metre clearance from the centre line of the cable. This restriction does not apply to ground cover plants whose roots go to a maximum depth of 500mm.

This states that tree root systems will cause damage to the cables. Trees have already been removed from Channel Road, Rush, for lifting footpaths and garden walls. On this same road the Interconnector system has been installed fully inside of the 2 metre tree restriction area. This is again an absolute deviation where KEMA has provided favourable opinion. This system is not designed based on opinion.This matter is with Fingal County Council and we await their decision.

2.7. No reference to documented services below recommended distances.

The KEMA report did not reference other services running parallel to the interconnector a distances below the recommended 300mm. We have sent photo and video evidence to KEMA and Fingal County Council; these include images showing damage to parallel services at a distance of approx 100mm. Given EirGrid’s contractors damaged these services in installation we believe risk is heightened for those working on and living beside these services

This matter is with Fingal County Council who have noted the low-distances verbally but refused thus far to document their answer in relation to same. The Council also referred to “pinch points” being acceptable for pipes to be placed close to the system; however our evidence shows parallel distances to other services not pinch points.

Please note: despite numerous requests KEMA did not clarify the “average situation in Europe for how close such interconnectors come to residential properties.
    3. Health Concerns:

3.1. Time-varying\transient\AC magnetic fields confirmed.

EirGrid have never admitted to a time-varying (moving) magnetic field produced by the East-West Interconnector – in fact they have denied its presence. EirGrid’s planning application, web site, advertisements, brochures, flyers and even the poster displayed in their office window in Rush do not reference time-varying magnetic fields. They reference static (motionless) magnetic field only.
    3.2. Time-varying\transient\AC magnetic fields detailed at unacceptable levels.

The KEMA report shows time-varying magnetic fields at levels far in excess of the referenced 0.4 microTesla rate at which children have twice the risk of leukaemia and also the 0.1 microTesla fall-off distance recommended by the International EMF Alliance (www.iemfa.org). The time-varying magnetic fields produced by these cables are a serious cause for concern to the community in Rush given the cables come within 1.5 metres (5ft) of people’s homes. These time-varying fields are significantly larger than those referenced by other reports as having negative effect on people’s health, in particular the health of children.Please note: a typical European house has an average time-varying magnetic field reading of 0.07 microTesla.
    3.3. An Bord Pleanála Inspector’s Report does not reference time-varying magnetic fields.

EirGrid’s submissions to An Bord Pleanála do not reference a time-varying magnetic field; subsequently the An Bord Pleanála Inspector’s Report did not consider or reference time-varying magnetic fields.
    3.4. Incorrect evidence provided by EirGrid’s expert at planning hearings.

Summation of the expert evidence provided by Mr. William Bailey on behalf of EirGrid to the An Bord Pleanála Oral Hearings:“Mr. William Bailey provided evidence on health effects and stated that the underground cables will only produce a magnetic field above ground with no electric field produced above ground because of the metallic cladding of the cable and shielding by the earth. Biological and health research has not associated exposure to DC fields at levels found in the environment with adverse health effects. The proposed cable system will have a DC magnetic field source with an intensity similar to or lower than the earth’s geomagnetic field.

”Source: An Bord Pleanála Inspector’s Report APPENDIX A - SUMMARY REPORT OF THE ORAL HEARING. Ref.: PL 17.VA0002.
    3.5. Flawed Van Rongen report published by then Minister Eamon Ryan incorrectly references and assesses static magnetic field only.

The Van Rongen Report into “Health issues relating to HVDC cable Technology” commissioned by the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources:This report does not reference time-varying magnetic fields; indeed the Van Rongen report incorrectly states the following in relation to the cables’ magnetic fields: “ since HVDC operates with direct currents, only static fields will be generated”.

Source: Health issues relating to HVDC cable technology - Expert Opinion by Eric van Rongen, PhD provided at the request of the Department of Communications, Energy & Natural Resources.

The Van Rongen Report was commissioned by the Department despite repeated objections from Rush Community Council to the process, author selection and scope. This report has now been shown to be utterly flawed.

Please note: both Mr. Bailey and Mr. Van Rongen have worked for International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP); Mr Van Rongen is a current member of their commission. This organisation provides guidelines for exposure levels to magnetic fields.

We believe there is a strong conflict of interest for those providing guidelines to the power transmission industry to then act as advocates on behalf of that industry.

Organisations such as International Electro-Magnetic Fields Alliance (www.iemfa.org) and Human Radiation Effects Group (www.electric-fields.bris.ac.uk) have argued that ICNIRP are a vested-interest group and the inappropriate levels they set for exposure to magnetic fields should be dispensed with immediately.

Nine countries in Europe have adopted far more stringent exposure limits in favour of the ICNIRP guideline levels; for example The Netherlands, where KEMA are based, have a ground emission level of 0.4 microTesla. This should ensure an exposure level of below 0.1 microTesla by the time the field penetrates properties.
    3.6. KEMA confirm properties inside bends in the cable will be exposed to higher magnetic field levels.

At several locations in Rush there are bends in the cable, most notably the right angle bends at the junctions of Main Street \ Skerries Road and also Skerries Road \ Kilbush Lane where the cable bends around the corners. Properties inside these bends are exposed to higher magnetic field levels.We asked KEMA if these properties were also subject to crossing magnetic fields but they failed to answer this question. We understand they are; so people in these properties have time-varying magnetic fields from two directions - effectively giving them twice the exposure.This is also true for properties inside lesser bends in the cable along its route through Rush.

4. Issues outside the scope of the KEMA report discussed.

4.1. Breach of Planning Permission under investigation by Fingal County Council.

Fingal County Council’s Planning Enforcement Section has confirmed they are currently investigating the source of cement like material leeching into Rogerstown Estuary that is damaging the Natura 2000 site. The source of the material appears to emanate from the EirGrid Interconnector works adjacent to a recent find of human remains. It is suspected that in a hurry to finish works next to the archaeological find contractors dug up the small local stream, placed their cable ducts in the stream bed and covered them with concrete.

If this is proven to be the case this is a clear breach of Condition 6(a) of An Bord Pleanála permission granted for the construction of the East West Interconnector (An Bord Pleanála Reference Number: 17.VA0002) regarding trenchless crossings of rivers and streams. Presumably this section of the system will need to be removed and rebuilt as per received permission; this is further complicated by the fact that works are not permitted in this area due to the archaeological find of human remains. Therefore there will be a gap in the line.

As an addendum to this issue it was reported locally that EirGrid may have installed cable in this section over the weekend (Saturday 16th July). If this proves to be the case significant additional cost will be incurred should the section have to be replaced due to breach of planning.

4.2. Journalist confirms misleading information provided to An Bord Pleanála.

A journalist recently contacted EirGrid and asked them:

Why have EirGrid’s An Bord Pleanála submissions, brochures, advertising, office window posters etc not referenced the transient or AC magnetic fields produced by the East-West Interconnector? In turn the journalist informed us of the issue as follows: “To summarise, they say they didn't mention those transient fields because the levels were ‘immaterial’.”

This means EirGrid made a decision not to bring the time-varying magnetic fields to the attention of An Bord Pleanála – subsequently they were not assessed in the Inspectors Report. The significance of this action should not be underestimated.

EirGrid thought it prudent to include a static magnetic field of 43 microTesla in their documentation but not a time-varying magnetic field of ~120 microTesla.

Sorry missed this part.

RushCoCo
    Planning Enforcement Complaint Lodged Against EirGrid EWI

Date: 02/09/2011

Enforcement Section,
    Planning Department,
    Fingal County Council,
    County Hall,
    Main Street,
    Swords,
    Co. Dublin.

September 2nd 2011

To whom it may concern;

With reference to Condition 1 of An Bord Pleanála Permission granted for the construction of the East West Interconnector (An Bord Pleanála Reference Number: 17.VA0002) and the therein referenced project Environmental Report Plan (Document Number: P27F330-R1-02); the Environmental Report states:

Page 54: 4.6.3 Electric and Magnetic Fields – Underground Cable Route.
    Electric currents flowing on conductors produce electric and magnetic fields. On direct current (DC) cables, the current flows in only one direction and produces a static (i.e., nonvariable) magnetic field, like that produced by a bar magnet.”

Condition 1 and the therein referenced Environmental Report permit a static non-variable magnetic field. The KEMA Report (Study for the EirGrid EWI high voltage DC200kV land cables ref: 16010859- ETD/POL 11-1387(A)) has confirmed that the East-West Interconnector will produce a time varying magnetic field. The presence of time varying magnetic fields has also been confirmed by the project developer EirGrid PLC. The KEMA Report states:

Page 30: 6.3 Time varying magnetic field limitation
    Next to the static magnetic field generated by the HVDC cable circuit, the cable circuit will also generate time varying magnetic fields due to time varying currents superposed on the DC current, called the ripple, due to transients or due to changes in the transported current.

The East-West Interconnector will produce transient (variable) magnetic fields for which permission has not been granted.

Time varying transient magnetic fields have been linked to elevated risk of illnesses such as childhood leukaemia, brain tumours, Alzheimer’s and ALS. The presence of these additional magnetic fields is unacceptable to our community.

Given this information we believe this project to be in breach of permission obtained.

We formally request that Fingal County Council as the presiding planning authority take immediate action by instructing an immediate cessation of works in the town of Rush and the removal of systems which will induce time varying transient magnetic fields for which permission has not been obtained

• Advertisement

I met a few people from EirGrid last night and they were very nice indeed. I didnt bring up the protest but they knew who I was and one actually asked me for a particular photo I took and I will happily forward it to them Monday morning. They must have been watching our debate here.

They are. I rang them in May about the Kema Safety Report and the PR lady I was speaking up referred to this thread.

Advertisement