Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Sorry missed this part.

Wow you're on the ball today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Spidermany wrote: »
    They are. I rang them in May about the Kema Safety Report and thePR lady I was speaking up referred to this thread.

Ohh that was you on the phone.........:D

Ohh that was you on the phone.........:D

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Work continues or recommenced with the arrival of this piece of kit today

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6280329071_62d4620e89.jpg[/EMAIL]">

A bigger one is due to arrive in the next day or two. but to give this a sense of scale and size this is a wide angle shot below taking in one of the tugs and the rockabill in the distance. It is really massive.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6280333457_54bb5b4e63.jpg[/EMAIL]">

I've finally had a reply from James Reilly's office with no explanation or apology for the length of time it's taken me to receive it. I don't want to post his reply as I don't have his permission, but the jist of it is:

He's still working on his preferred option as stated before the election (the email doesn't specify what this is).
    He's had meetings with Rush Community Council and is continuing to follow up this matter with the relevant ministers, Fingal CoCo and Rush Community Council.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Phew! I can sleep at night again knowing that NCD is in safe hands. What a wishy-washy reply.

Fair dues for following it up & letting us know.

I've finally had a reply from James Reilly's office with no explanation or apology for the length of time it's taken me to receive it. I don't want to post his reply as I don't have his permission, but the jist of it is:

He's still working on his preferred option as stated before the election (the email doesn't specify what this is).
    He's had meetings with Rush Community Council and is continuing to follow up this matter with the relevant ministers, Fingal CoCo and Rush Community Council.

Why did the chorus from theme tune to the film The Italian Job pop into my head when I read your post. "We are the Self Preservation Society" indeed.:D

Anyone care to hazard a guess what his preferred option is? Some light hearted options:

Option A
    Wait long enough for the majority of people to forget his back tracking.

Option B
    Move to Tipperary permanetly before the next election and run for the retiring Michael Lowry seat.

Option C
    Retire at the next election and move to Santa Ponsa to do a Brendan Grace Tribute act.

Option D
    Do a Lord Lucan with two suit cases crammed full of HSE gold(you can't be trusting the euro).

Option E
    Provide every citizen of Rush with a tinfoil hat emblazoned with the "Slogan Doctor Knows Best".

LeoB wrote: »
    Work continues or recommenced with the arrival of this piece of kit today

6280329071_62d4620e89.jpg">

A bigger one is due to arrive in the next day or two. but to give this a sense of scale and size this is a wide angle shot below taking in one of the tugs and the rockabill in the distance. It is really massive.

6280333457_54bb5b4e63.jpg">

Impressive indeed. Vid of the Eirgrid cable production in Norway for any fans of "How do they do that"

Why did the chorus from theme tune to the film The Italian Job pop into my head when I read your post. "We are the Self Preservation Society" indeed.:D

Now that's going to running through my head anytime anyone mentions his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ok its nearly 4 months later and over a year since JR got elected any update on what his preferred option for the Eirgrid Project is and the timeline for when it will be implemented? Your updates are very much appreciated.

I know I was a tad cynical about JR intentions at the time, that JR was more interested in vote grabbing and was willing to play up to peoples concerns and fears about the Eirgrid Project to achieve this, that he made promises that he knew he could never deliver. The kind of politics that gives politicians a bad name in the long run but a short term gain. Was I wrong about JR?

• Advertisement

Ok its nearly 4 months later and over a year since JR got elected any update on what his preferred option for the Eirgrid Project is and the timeline for when it will be implemented? Your updates are very much appreciated.
    I know I was a tad cynical about JR intentions at the time, that JR was more interested in vote grabbing and was willing to play up to peoples concerns and fears about the Eirgrid Project to achieve this, that he made promises that he knew he could never deliver. The kind of politics that gives politicians a bad name in the long run but a short term gain. Was I wrong about JR?
    Cynical!! You? Ah maybe but quite correct. Both JR and MR Farrell for that matter.

I would guess his stance has not changed, he could not deliver on his promise and he knew from the start he could not deliver but ploughed on and got his way, elected.

While I took the side of the Re route side from day 1 this project was going ahead at any cost. But we should not forget this.

On the plus side for Rush it has brought a lot of people together and Rush has got organised

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Underground cables could increase cancer risk, say campaigners

www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0316/ireland/underground-cables-could-increase-cancer-risk-say-campaigners-543835.html

Mod Note - text replaced by link to story as a result of Change in Policy regarding Copyrighted material

Just got this item in an email. Another twist to the saga?

Dear Sir or Madam,
    Please find attached a press release from Rush Community Council relating to an independent review of the EirGrid East West Interconnector cable system in Rush, Co. Dublin which has found potential adverse health effects including childhood leukaemia from EirGrid East West Interconnector’s operational magnetic fields.
    Yours faithfully,
    Rush Community Council.

Review finds potential adverse health effects including childhood leukaemia from EirGrid East West Interconnector.
    Rush, Co. Dublin – 13 March 2012
    An independent review of the evidence provided to An Bord Pleanála’s planning hearing for the EirGrid East West Interconnector has found that the evidence presented by EirGrid was seriously inaccurate, with potential adverse health effects including childhood leukaemia.
    Rush Community Council requested Professor Anthony Staines review the evidence provided to the planning process by the State’s electricity grid operator. Professor Staines compared the information from the planning application and oral hearings to the facts contained in the KEMA Report, an independent health and safety report on the interconnector, paid for by EirGrid.

Professor Staines found: "
    [FONT=Cambria,Cambria][FONT=Cambria,Cambria]the evidence as to the induced magnetic field presented at the oral hearing was seriously inaccurate[/FONT][/FONT], "[FONT=Cambria,Cambria][FONT=Cambria,Cambria]potential adverse health effects of the cable system’s magnetic field have not been assessed for the received permission[/FONT][/FONT]" and "[FONT=Cambria,Cambria][FONT=Cambria,Cambria]it is well established that low frequency magnetic fields increase the risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia[/FONT][/FONT]". In an acutely critical review he went on to state "[FONT=Cambria,Cambria][FONT=Cambria,Cambria]In my view, contrary to the interests of good public policy, and the maintenance of public confidence in the integrity of the planning process, that this key issue, which caused serious public concern, was seriously misrepresented to the planning hearing. Accordingly I feel that a new planning permission should be required[/FONT][/FONT]".
    Professor Staines is a public health academic who has worked on the health effects of low-frequency electromagnetic fields (EMF), and risk assessment for non-ionising radiation. Professor Staines was a co-author of the Irish Government report on Health Effects of Electromagnetic Fields, published in 2007.
    Rush Community Council and members of the wider community have raised health and safety concerns regarding the route and construction of the East West Interconnector in such close proximity to homes in Rush, Co. Dublin, since publication of the proposed route and on through the current construction phase.
    In seeking approval for this system we believe EirGrid misled all, including the planning process, by stating the cable systems magnetic field would be static only (i.e. non-variable). The power company now admits the cable system will also radiate time varying (i.e. variable) magnetic fields. They did not disclose this detail to the planning process; it is a matter of public record that they specifically denied it. The time varying magnetic fields are a risk not assessed by the planning process.
    In response to this charge EirGrid have stated that they are in compliance with the guidelines of the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP). This is unacceptable to the community in Rush as such guidelines are not the sole determinant of An Bord Pleanála’s decision; they are not a substitute for public examination via the Oral Hearings or The Boards deliberation of possible effect of the system’s actual magnetic fields.
    A clear example of how EirGrid mislead all in relation to this is best summed up in a statement they made to The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources where they stated: "The East West Interconnector emits static magnetic fields (DC) and therefore has no time varying elements". When this was proven to be untrue EirGrid stated they were aware of the time varying magnetic fields all along but chose not to bring them to the attention of An Bord Pleanála as they deemed them "insignificant".
    We believe EirGrid adopted this strategy as it allowed an easier engineering solution to land the cables; a solution we believe would not otherwise have been permitted, given its proximity to people’s homes, schools etc, had the time varying magnetic fields been examined by the planning process.
    The time varying magnetic fields are a risk not assessed by the planning process, especially in areas where children spend a significant proportion of their day. Rush Community Council reference growing scientific evidence for increased protection from EMF exposure, such as that provided by the International EMF Alliance (www.iemfa.org); this is based on findings of risk for leukaemia, in particular childhood leukaemia, and other illness such as brain tumours, Alzheimer’s and ALS.
    In Rush the East West Interconnector’s cables pass as close as 1.5 metres (5ft) from people’s homes. The cable system is a 500 megawatt system carrying +/- 200,000 Volts, with a current of approximately 1300 Amps; by comparison Poolbeg Generating Station, Ringsend, Dublin, has a maximum output of 470MW.
    Rush Community Council contend EirGrid have received planning permission for a system with a static magnetic field only. They have not received permission for a system with time varying magnetic fields. The system’s time varying magnetic fields were denied by EirGrid prior to planning approval; subsequently their effect was not examined by the planning process as they were deemed not to be a component of the operational cable system.
    The health risk related to the incorrect assessment or non-assessment of time varying magnetic fields associated with the East West Interconnector cable system was not examined during the planning process. This is a fundamental denial of due process and examination of a critical component of the cable system’s effect on people’s health, especially children from 0 to 15 years of age, for those who will live, attend school or spend a significant proportion of their day within the system’s magnetic field.
    Rush Community Council are determined to bring these planning matters to a conclusion and will protect our communities children by challenging compliance via the Planning Authorities, Government and Courts.
    Ends
    For further information please contact:
    Rush Community Council
    Community Centre
    Main Street
    Rush
    Co. Dublin
    T: 01 843 9349
    E: info@rushcoco.ie
    W: www.rushcoco.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

Interesting that the Prof Anthony Staines who assessed the KEMA Report for RCC is the same person that canvassed for James Reilly during the last couple of General Elections. I think he canvassed for FG during the Local Elections as well.

A cynic might think that this is James Reilly's way of dragging back a bit of credibility in the community without being directly involved in the controversy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

JRCC wrote: »
    Interesting that the Prof Anthony Staines who assessed the KEMA Report for RCC is the same person that canvassed for James Reilly during the last couple of General Elections. I think he canvassed for FG during the Local Elections as well.

A cynic might think that this is James Reilly's way of dragging back a bit of credibility in the community without being directly involved in the controversy. ;)

And a cynic might also wonder why an academic who appears to have no qualification in radiobiology is making claims without cited evidence outside of his field of expertise. Did Rush Community Council just cast around for a local with letters after his name to try to give the impression that casting aspersions on the Eirgrid projects safety had academic credibility regardless of area of expertise? Bit like asking a botanist to evaluate the work of a climatologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

That government report that Prof Staines co authored in 2007 concluded the following
    Cancer: There is limited scientific evidence of an association
    between ELF magnetic fields and childhood leukaemia. This
    does not mean that ELF magnetic fields cause cancer, but the
    possibility cannot be excluded. However considerable research
    carried out in laboratories has not supported this possibility,
    and overall the evidence is considered weak, suggesting it is
    unlikely that ELF magnetic fields cause leukaemia in children.
    Nevertheless the evidence should not be discounted and so no
    or low cost precautionary measures to lower people’s exposure
    to these fields have been suggested.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/9857119F-CE1A-443F-9F17-44BB299D6FE6/0/ReportoftheExpertGroupontheHealthEffectsofElectromagneticFields2006.pdf

So unless Prof Staines has changed his mind in the meantime it seems he was happy to put his name to a report that was not concerned about ELF once the relevant precautions are taken. My reading of the reviews of evidence published in the scientific literature in more recent years would suggest to me that the same situation applies today as did so in 2007. So if the radiobiologist Eric van Rongen and the other experts agree that the project is utilising the correct precautionary procedures outlined by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) there appears to be no necessity for concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

imokyrok wrote: »
    And a cynic might also wonder why an academic who appears to have no qualification in radiobiology is making claims without cited evidence outside of his field of expertise. Did Rush Community Council just cast around for a local with letters after his name to try to give the impression that casting aspersions on the Eirgrid projects safety had academic credibility regardless of area of expertise? Bit like asking a botanist to evaluate the work of a climatologist.

LOL! And thankfully neither of us are cynics. ;)

Is FG Dublin North Constituency party helping with the funding for this continuing challenge?
    Rush Community Council are determined to bring these planning matters to a conclusion and will protect our communities children by challenging compliance via the Planning Authorities, Government and Courts

I know that I won't be the only Rush Resident mildly peeved if down the line we hear that the Rush Community Council is under monetary pressure and requires desperate funding because they wasted money on this continuing saga because some people went out on a limb, lost and don't want to back down. Would it be wrong to ask for some transparency around what the RCC have spent on the No Campaign so far and how they have funded it? I truely would love to know how much JR donated to the cause. Sweet Fanny Adams I would say but it hasn't stopped him stirring the pot wasting other peoples money so he can save face and get elected again.

In relation to Prof Staines and his connection to FG and JR perhaps Alan Farrell who appears to to be a follower of his on Twitter can clarify if Prof Staines is connected to FG in Dublin North still as he was in 2005?

Fingal Indo 2005
    Dr Anthony Staines Chair of Dublin North Constituency Executive
    Full Article

I expect my question will go unanswered by AF.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Is FG Dublin North Constituency party helping with the funding for this continuing challenge?

I know that I won't be the only Rush Resident mildly peeved if down the line we hear that the Rush Community Council is under monetary pressure and requires desperate funding because they wasted money on this continuing saga because some people went out on a limb, lost and don't want to back down. Would it be wrong to ask for some transparency around what the RCC have spent on the No Campaign so far and how they have funded it? I truely would love to know how much JR donated to the cause. Sweet Fanny Adams I would say but it hasn't stopped him stirring the pot wasting other peoples money so he can save face and get elected again.

In relation to Prof Staines and his connection to FG and JR perhaps Alan Farrell who appears to to be a follower of his on Twitter can clarify if Prof Staines is connected to FG in Dublin North still as he was in 2005?

Fingal Indo 2005

I expect my question will go unanswered by AF.

You make an interesting point in terms of transparency. To my knowledge no "Community Council" has any statutory standing and are all limited companies. They are only provided for in legislation as a body that "may" be consulted by a public authority (I think that's the Local Government Act). The fact that they are a Ltd Co also means they are not compelled to submit any returns to the Standards in Public Office (SIPO). I believe that alone undermines the credibility of any of them. So there is no way of telling whether or not there are vested interests or conflicts of interest existing. That's just my opinion, others will disagree, I'm sure.

Additionally, this (Interconnector) is a planning matter. I think someone should explain to the Minister that he is not allowed to "intervene" in planning matters. Although it is fair to say that he hasn't done anything publicly to indicate that. Unlike his statement regarding the Regional Waste Water Treatment Plant, another planning matter I believe it is inappropriate for a minister to "intervene" in by making submissions and the like. Directly or vicariously.

Community Councils are generally controlled by the members of political parties. I base that on evidence in regard to Rush. There are prominent members of the Fianna Fail and Labour parties involved. I'm also informed that other member(s) of the committee are supporters of the Minister and have canvassed for him during his last election campaign, in the Malahide area apparently. Well away from the prying eyes of people in Rush, you'll agree. Contrast that with Skerries where there is an effective non-political "Community Association" that gets results for the town. It's just worth noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just throwing this out there as an example of how the time varying magnetic fields brouhaha may have (reasonably) innocently occurred and regarding the frequency of the variation. not saying Eirgrid were innocent, but an explanation of the jargon

Generally, electricity in ireland is generated and transmitted as AC ( alternating current ) with a frequency of 50Hz ( the current changes direction and flows backwards and forwards 50 times each second)

The maths used to model and calculate the power flow in electricity lines uses a system called Fourier analysis. This is used to calculate the power/voltage/currents/harmonics flowing in normal power lines.
    It depends on currents and voltages changing in a smooth sinusoid way, in a periodic manner, i.e. "time varying"

So if you look at your home, the current coming in through your meter is changing 50 times a second.
    Then you turn on your kettle or oven and the current flowing increases to power the heating element.
    Then you turn it off again after say 5 minutes.

Now the average* current has gone from 1Amp to 11Amp to 1Amp again
    But as you may not put the kettle on again tonight, or you may put it on 5 more times, the kettle being on is not periodic

Now if the electricity to your home was DC ( direct current) it would have a fixed voltage. If you changed nothing ( turned nothing on nor off); the current would be fixed. If you switched on your kettle and then off again, the current would still go from 1A to 11A to 1A; an engineer would refer to this a a transient current change, rather than a time varying current ( even though it is) as that's the way engineers look at currents changing in this way

Now replace the Kettle with Ireland having wind/Britain turning on their kettles.
    As there is a demand for electric power at one end of the interconnector that changes a bit, the power transmitted through the interconnector will change an amount; but in a way that would be thought of as a transient changing rather than a time varying changing current.

Regarding the ELF issue. ELF means extremely low frequency and covers frequencies of 3-300Hz
    But the changes of current in the interconnector won't be periodic and so will have no frequency.
    There may be a general overall trend over a day but thats 1/86400 Hz

What may be important is the time of the transient changes in the Interconnector. If it goes from 300MW to 400MW in 1micro second, then there will be frequencies from about 1MHz down to almost dc radiated, where if the change happens over 1millisecond, the frequencies will be only from about 1kHz down

• Advertisement

Community Councils are generally controlled by the members of political parties. I base that on evidence in regard to Rush. There are prominent members of the Fianna Fail and Labour parties involved. I'm also informed that other member(s) of the committee are supporters of the Minister and have canvassed for him during his last election campaign, in the Malahide area apparently. Well away from the prying eyes of people in Rush, you'll agree. Contrast that with Skerries where there is an effective non-political "Community Association" that gets results for the town. It's just worth noting.

The Skerries model seems more streamlined when you consider that they represent a greater population than Rush yet have 14 members on the Board of Directors. RCC list 27 members of the Council. Perhaps another reason why SCA is more effective at getting things done.

The Skerries model seems more streamlined when you consider that they represent a greater population than Rush yet have 14 members on the Board of Directors. RCC list 27 members of the Council. Perhaps another reason why SCA is more effective at getting things done.

I believe you have a point. Perhaps campaigns such as the Interconnector would have had a more desirable outcome if there was a more efficient body of people driving it. Whichever side of the fence you are on, the RCC has failed to obtain a successful result. All they have succeeded in doing is pushing the perception that if you live along the route, your house is in a dangerously high cancer zone, which I do not believe to be the case (for what it's worth). So in fact, they have succeeded in developing a perception that will drive down the value of property along the route. Not that property value is everything but it might interest you if you wanted to sell your house.

Similarly, if I was interested in buying a house that I saw on Daft.ie and drove to Rush to view it, only to be confronted by large signs at the Community Centre that were flashing statements like "Fingal dumping on us" or "No to Monster Sewage Here" I think I would be swayed against buying in the area. I'm surprised this hasn't become more of an issue for those trying to sell their houses in the town. Maybe it's not such an issue after all.

So I take your point, sometimes in regard to local representation - Less is More. ;)

The political constituant of R.C.C. is in my opinion the biggest problem. We have seen this to our cost in the past when half of them decided to run for election only to eliminate each other:(
    I believe you have a point. Perhaps campaigns such as the Interconnector would have had a more desirable outcome if there was a more efficient body of people driving it. Whichever side of the fence you are on, the RCC has failed to obtain a successful result. All they have succeeded in doing is pushing the perception that if you live along the route, your house is in a dangerously high cancer zone, which I do not believe to be the case (for what it's worth). So in fact, they have succeeded in developing a perception that will drive down the value of property along the route. Not that property value is everything but it might interest you if you wanted to sell your house.

Similarly, if I was interested in buying a house that I saw on Daft.ie and drove to Rush to view it, only to be confronted by large signs at the Community Centre that were flashing statements like "Fingal dumping on us" or "No to Monster Sewage Here" I think I would be swayed against buying in the area. I'm surprised this hasn't become more of an issue for those trying to sell their houses in the town. Maybe it's not such an issue after all.

So I take your point, sometimes in regard to local representation - Less is More. ;)

This was not only driven by RCC from what I saw but a number of locals who didnt want it or felt it was unsafe. They are entitled to their view.

This was the first campaign if you like driven by what was a relativley new community council and unfortunatley a few got involved who might have been better in a "back office" position. Here to fore there was, from what I hear to much politics and not many got involved. While they list 27 members how many are actually on the council and not just on sub committees? And just looking at the members list there are interests from Tidy towns, Re-route Eirgrid, Chamber of commerce, Rush development assoc and senior citizens along with some political partiesI would imagine Skerries has more than 14 but have sub committees?

Another problem in Rush in the past was people just didnt get involved. Apathy? But I do think this council has improved that, hense Tidy towns, Chamber of commerse all working to improve Rush. There are a few very strong charachters on the board/committee

The political constituant of R.C.C. is in my opinion the biggest problem. We have seen this to our cost in the past when half of them decided to run for election only to eliminate each other:(

Agreed, just looking at that list of RCC Committee members and I wouldn't be as well informed as yourself LeoB, I can identify 7 at least strongly associated with political parties every time a general or local election happens.
    This was not only driven by RCC from what I saw but a number of locals who didnt want it or felt it was unsafe. They are entitled to their view.

Agreed, but at this stage its now become an obsession of RCC, lets take one example the RCC Website. Click on there website, they have an Eirgrid section and almost all their infrequent updates concern the Eirgrid issue. They have a section on Rush Tidy towns 2011 objectives and a please see the Facebook page message. Nothing about the continued great work of Rush Tidy Towns or a constant feed about town cleanups, photos of the cleaning teams, the adopt a beach campaign, a copy of last years Tidy Towns report, plan for 2012 Tidy Towns, nothing about the St Patrick's Day parade in Rush, nothing about the trees in boxes and Xmas lights, nothing about the other great events that they and Rush Chamber of Commerce have organised over the last couple of years just Eirgrid! If you weren't from Rush and checked that site out what would you think about Rush? It comes back to Communication Communication again! How many times did people give out about the lack of communication from Eirgrid on this thread? How would you rate RCC against Eirgrid for communication today?

Unless you were in the "know" you wouldn't have know about half the issues that happened or are happening in Rush. Beasty is always getting news mails from SCA about this and that happening in Skerries and the SCA website is always a great starting point for local resources, does RCC do the same for Rush Residents? Don't forget with the rapid expansion of housing in Rush there is a large section of the population that is relatively new to the area that would benefit from more clear communication from RCC to help merge them into the local community. Going back to my example, at present the RCC website just gives a strong impression of apathy. Click on the site Directory for Schools in Rush, result: Empty List.
    This was the first campaign if you like driven by what was a relativley new community council and unfortunatley a few got involved who might have been better in a "back office" position. Here to fore there was, from what I hear to much politics and not many got involved. While they list 27 members how many are actually on the council and not just on sub committees? And just looking at the members list there are interests from Tidy towns, Re-route Eirgrid, Chamber of commerce, Rush development assoc and senior citizens along with some political partiesI would imagine Skerries has more than 14 but have sub committees?

Yes your quite correct that Skerries has sub-committees as does Rush. I assumed that the 14 Directors are the equivalent of the 27 of RCC main committee as some members on Rush sub-committees are not among the 27 main committee.
    Another problem in Rush in the past was people just didnt get involved. Apathy? But I do think this council has improved that, hense Tidy towns, Chamber of commerse all working to improve Rush. There are a few very strong charachters on the board/committee

I must confess I always avoided these meetings myself. Too many different sources that I trust reporting that most of RCC is politically ran and members already decided upon while even then a large number of decisions are decided by a select few outside meetings. I know by doing that I probably contributed to the maintenance of the status quo. How are the 27 selected? Is there a set number of seats to be filled? Is the town divided into wards? Do various clubs and groups nominate members? Do they have a constitution laying down there objectives and remit?

Agreed, just looking at that list of RCC Committee members and I wouldn't be as well informed as yourself LeoB, I can identify 7 at least strongly associated with political parties every time a general or local election happens.?

Beat you, I got 8 and would say at least 3 more are members of political parties.

Agreed, but at this stage its now become an obsession of RCC, lets take one example the RCC Website. Click on there website, they have an Eirgrid section and almost all their infrequent updates concern the Eirgrid issue. They have a section on Rush Tidy towns 2011 objectives and a please see the Facebook page message. Nothing about the continued great work of Rush Tidy Towns or a constant feed about town cleanups, photos of the cleaning teams, the adopt a beach campaign, a copy of last years Tidy Towns report, plan for 2012 Tidy Towns, nothing about the St Patrick's Day parade in Rush, nothing about the trees in boxes and Xmas lights, nothing about the other great events that they and Rush Chamber of Commerce have organised over the last couple of years just Eirgrid! If you weren't from Rush and checked that site out what would you think about Rush? It comes back to Communication Communication again! How many times did people give out about the lack of communication from Eirgrid on this thread? How would you rate RCC against Eirgrid for communication today?
    ?
    Unless you were in the "know" you wouldn't have know about half the issues that happened or are happening in Rush. Beasty is always getting news mails from SCA about this and that happening in Skerries and the SCA website is always a great starting point for local resources, does RCC do the same for Rush Residents? Don't forget with the rapid expansion of housing in Rush there is a large section of the population that is relatively new to the area that would benefit from more clear communication from RCC to help merge them into the local community. Going back to my example, at present the RCC website just gives a strong impression of apathy. Click on the site Directory for Schools in Rush, result: Empty List.

Fair points made there. I spoke to a person recently who I think wants to take over the website. But apart from the people on the council there has to be plenty of people in Rush who could give 2 hours a week to update the site. Looks like someone took on the job and forgot to finish it.
    Yes your quite correct that Skerries has sub-committees as does Rush. I assumed that the 14 Directors are the equivalent of the 27 of RCC main committee as some members on Rush sub-committees are not among the 27 main committee.
    In most cases on the Rush committee these people are on several committees

I must confess I always avoided these meetings myself. Too many different sources that I trust reporting that most of RCC is politically ran and members already decided upon while even then a large number of decisions are decided by a select few outside meetings. I know by doing that I probably contributed to the maintenance of the status quo. How are the 27 selected? Is there a set number of seats to be filled? Is the town divided into wards? Do various clubs and groups nominate members? Do they have a constitution laying down there objectives and remit?

I have avoided these committees also mainly due to my involvment in G.A.A. and I needed a break. I am not one for towing a party line either and in fairness to a few on the council they would be very strong individuals, if something needs to be said they would say it but in some people eyes this makes them a bit of a blox. Like you by not getting involved I contribute to this. How are the 27 elected? They go to the A.G.M. I take it or they have an interest and put themselves forward and I would admire anyone for doing this.
    I think each area should have 2 reps put forward from Res Assoc whether that be divide the town into 8 and put 2 forward from each area. St. Maurs have a rep on a sub committee. I would be suprised if they dont have criteria laid down for a Minimum number of members as they are a Limited company.

On the Eirgrid issue before we get into trouble I am not so sure the will is there for a big legal battle. I Could be wrong, AGAIN;)

LeoB gotta disagree with you there. My understanding is that There was/is a sub committee of RCC reporting at the monthly meetings on the Interconnector issue specifically. The perception may have been that it wasn't being driven by RCC but cast your mind back to who was organising the meetings, commissioning advertising signage and displaying large electronic signs outside the Community Centre. I think you'll find that it was RCC.

Did you ever wonder why people never got involved in the RCC? There are clubs in the town who are not included as members of the RCC. Why is that?

If they want to be taken seriously on such issues as the Interconnector, why dont members of RCC volunteer their business and commercial interests like other public representatives? That would make me feel a lot better when they are representing the town. If they want to run things transparently, what's the problem with that?

Do any of them have a specific interest in the Interconnector route, and might that be the motivation for opposing the project? If they do, shouldn't they declare that interest to instil trust, promoting openess and transparency? What is the quota for being elected at the RCC AGM? How many attend the AGM? Is the attendance a fair representation of the population of the town? Who is the Returning Officer overseeing the ballot/election process?

I suppose I really don't feel comfortable with directors of a private limited company putting themselves forward as official representatives and spokespersons for residents of the town opposing critical infrastructure projects, with those questions unanswered. That's just my opinion. I like things open and transparent in such situations. Although I'd seriously question the motivation of anyone opposing such transparency.

Advertisement