Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have yet to hear any one of the community council knock Eirgrid. I have heard quite a few saying publicly they support the project but object to the route thats why its called the "re route Eirgrid" campaign.

You might be so kind as to point uut where he shafted the community and how. Maybe you will take a look at who proposed what and how individual voted and how that vote actually panned out.

Again, naysayers!! Where are they?
    RE-ROUTE = GOING A DIFFERENT WAY. Its not opposing the project.

dan_d. Water works being carried out over the estuary beside where Eirgrid could come in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mantastic

Is everyone aware that the horse has already well bolted... and that protests etc are a complete waste of time?

Eirgrid have started the works already.. and will be digging at Rogerstown on private lands next week...

lets get the facts right..
    The HV cable route is not travelling on the Rogerstown Estuary itself..
    it's travelling on the farm lands adjacent to the Rogerstown Estuary

The farm lands are owned by a flower bulb farmer whom is being be paid a lot of money by Eirgrid for allowing wayleave access onto this land
    Is that a sell out?

The cable will be between 10 - 40 metres away from the waters edge for the entire route adjacent to the estuary..

It'll be on that land behind the houses on the Estuary, one of them is that unusual curved stone house that faces the Rogerstown Estuary

mantastic wrote: »
    Is everyone aware that the horse has already well bolted... and that protests etc are a complete waste of time?

Eirgrid have started the works already.. and will be digging at Rogerstown on private lands next week...

lets get the facts right..
    The HV cable route is not travelling on the Rogerstown Estuary itself..
    it's travelling on the farm lands adjacent to the Rogerstown Estuary

The farm lands are owned by a flower bulb farmer whom is being be paid a lot of money by Eirgrid for allowing wayleave access onto this land
    Is that a sell out?

The cable will be between 10 - 40 metres away from the waters edge for the entire route adjacent to the estuary..

It'll be on that land behind the houses on the Estuary, one of them is that unusual curved stone house that faces the Rogerstown Estuary

It might well appear the horse has bolted but the protests are far from a waste of time just yet. From what I heard tonight there is very big support for the campaign.

We are all well aware its not travelling on the Estuary but this where it should be in the opinion of the people involved in the Re-Route campaign.

Is it a sell out? What do you think?

As I stated earlier in this thread I spoke to a worker and this person estimated the cable would be 15 meters from the estuary, in other words right where the birds nest in places. So that in my opinion throws this whole S.A.C, Bird santuary argument out the window, unless the powers that be value birds more than residents.

Were the residents aware of what was coming behind their houses? I dont know as I have not spoken to any of them.

What happens if someone along the proposed route wants to build a house and the have to cross the road for access to sewage? Will this Eirgrid stuff affect their planning?

LeoB wrote: »
    It might well appear the horse has bolted but the protests are far from a waste of time just yet. From what I heard tonight there is very big support for the campaign.

Hi LeoB, thanks for the response

I appreciate that but, Big support or not, the Route as per Planning permission will go ahead regardless of the screaming masses... these protests should've really happened at Planning Application Stage..
    will the masses end-up lying in front of machines digging trenches? another Shell?
    We are all well aware its not travelling on the Estuary but this where it should be in the opinion of the people involved in the Re-Route campaign.

I imagine Eirgrid didn't initially plan to propose the route on the Estuary itself as they knew they would've had problems with Dept. Environment's NPWS National Parks & Wildlife Service whom are in charge of the estuary, as the Estuary's is a SAC, Ramsar Site, International Wildlife Area of Importance etc etc
    Is it a sell out? What do you think?
    Of course its a sell out, just like everything else corrupt in this Country.. rotten to the core..

As I stated earlier in this thread I spoke to a worker and this person estimated the cable would be 15 meters from the estuary, in other words right where the birds nest in places. So that in my opinion throws this whole S.A.C, Bird santuary argument out the window, unless the powers that be value birds more than residents.

It's won't be in nesting areas, it's on the bulb farmers open land, and he's apparently getting paid nearly twice the wayleave rate of any other landowner.. why? because he's stirred them up..and they know he has a few bob to go legal if he likes etc...
    if you knocked on his door he'd make noise anyway no matter what, 'mean & tight as....
    Were the residents aware of what was coming behind their houses? I dont know as I have not spoken to any of them.

apparently they are aware and also aware that there's no point opposing the route as we all know, the 'powers that be' will let this happen anyway.. Fingal County Council or no Policitian etc have no power to stop their 'Major Infrastructure' project
    What happens if someone along the proposed route wants to build a house and the have to cross the road for access to sewage? Will this Eirgrid stuff affect their planning?

unlikely, the cable is approx 300mm thick and there are numerous underground services already in roads etc, with modern technology these can be located when digging etc

mantastic wrote: »
    Hi LeoB, thanks for the response

I appreciate that but, Big support or not, the Route as per Planning permission will go ahead regardless of the screaming masses... these protests should've really happened at Planning Application Stage..
    will the masses end-up lying in front of machines digging trenches? another Shell?

I imagine Eirgrid didn't initially plan to propose the route on the Estuary itself as they knew they would've had problems with Dept. Environment's NPWS National Parks & Wildlife Service whom are in charge of the estuary, as the Estuary's is a SAC, Ramsar Site, International Wildlife Area of Importance etc etc

Of course its a sell out, just like everything else corrupt in this Country.. rotten to the core..

It's won't be in nesting areas, it's on the bulb farmers open land, and he's apparently getting paid nearly twice the wayleave rate of any other landowner.. why? because he's stirred them up..and they know he has a few bob to go legal if he likes etc...
    if you knocked on his door he'd make noise anyway no matter what, 'mean & tight as....

apparently they are aware and also aware that there's no point opposing the route as we all know, the 'powers that be' will let this happen anyway.. Fingal County Council or no Policitian etc have no power to stop their 'Major Infrastructure' project

unlikely, the cable is approx 300mm thick and there are numerous underground services already in roads etc, with modern technology these can be located when digging etc

Your welcome, you put up a good post.

Your points are well made and I think futher underline a serious problem which a few people have alleuded to here mainly Communications. I personally I feel Eirgrid must shoulder 99% responsibily for this mess. They called a public meeting/information meeting in 2008 but I like a lot of others didnt know anything about. Not that I would have any expertise to question anyhting they may have said but having heard what I have over the last few weeks I am not so sure they were fully up-front or honest with the people hense we have this protest. I do think it could messy when and if work starts. Some people I spoke to are to say the least "wound up" on this issue.

I agree Eirgrid would not have planned coming up the estuary but how come Fingall C.C. can work away there? 2 sets of rules at play here.

When you say its a sell out by F.C.C? Or the farmer? I am in a minority who feel not everything is corrupt or rotten to the core. Think things are changing slowly for the better but yes we are paying a heavy price for what has gone on and I dread the "Corrective measures" we face in Dec

Its on the farmers open land but even closer to the nesting area than if they come up the Estuary

I agree with the rest of your post............... All the more reason for people to vent anger/frustration............... Tight as a.......
    Whatever happens this whole debate has I hope finally opened up the eyes of Rush people and also I sincerley hope some of the poster here,(even the ones on "holidays") come forward and a play a role in the future of the parish. Some good strong opinions posted here which we all didnt agree with but good for the most part all the same. And maybe we will have a candidate for next local election who will get the support of all the town.

• Advertisement

Wow, I am just back from the rally and I was delighted to see such a turnout.
    It was hard to estimate the size of the crowd but close on 3,000 people turned out.

Well done the committee who put this together, the whole event went like clockwork and was ran in a most orderly fashion. I would expect nothing else from these people at this stage.

Anne McCrudden addressed the crowd and its fair to say this campaign is working to the extend where Eirgrid are now actually communicating with people.
    Few Pic's below.
    1) <snip>. addresses the rally
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4982305915_c968b0839b.jpg[/EMAIL]">

2) Some of the estimated 2,500 people at the Millbank
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4982324671_d5299bb923.jpg[/EMAIL]">
    3) On the platform were <snip>.
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4982907436_119254ac46.jpg[/EMAIL]">

4) The rally on the route.
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4982346973_2812428981.jpg[/EMAIL]">

5) At the Millbank
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4982334185_7708c13bec.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Again well done to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sandyhills ms

Thanks LeoB for putting the great images up, gives those of us who had to work today a glimpse of what we missed. Well done;)

Your welcome Sandyhills ms.

Great day and when out ths evening with kids a lot of people were delighted with the responce of the whole community. Just shows what a coordinated effort can do in bringing people together.

I think the most vital message this campaign has given out is Rush is not opposed to Eirgrid (which is what some people were led to believe) but just want the cables re-routed and thankfully this was again emphasised strongly again today. Good communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

as leo said communication is the key and i think miscommunication/misinformation caused all the problems.

Dont know the full details of what is actually happening and I would say Rush C.C.C probably want to play down any talks that are going on. But hopefully this will come to a satisfactory conclusion sooner rather than later and tthen the community council can move forward with all clubs and organisation in the town to make Rush EVEN BETTER:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Question - what happens if Eirgrid decide to land at North Beach and skirt around the village north of Rush, through fields, around to the estuary.

What happens then? The assumption seems to be the re-routing will be through the estuary, but what happens if it's not?

There'll be some very wealthy farmers out there if that happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DaveD1312

Great pics Leo & well done to everyone who turned out,only that I live in kilkenny now,i'd have been there.

dan_d wrote: »
    Question - what happens if Eirgrid decide to land at North Beach and skirt around the village north of Rush, through fields, around to the estuary.

What happens then? The assumption seems to be the re-routing will be through the estuary, but what happens if it's not?

There'll be some very wealthy farmers out there if that happens....

dan_d I Now theres a thought:confused::confused:, however I think using the estuary is more practicle.

I think a lot depends on what alternative route is put forward if any but I dont think the re-route campaign can ease up just because Eirgrid might select another route. The same safety standards and concerns must apply for all residents, I think they will .

Now what if they come very close to a house and the people are very happy for the cables to go along the side of their gardens? There are quite a few permutations that can come into play yet.

DaveD1312. Howya getting on down there? Great vibes around here at the moment. Long may it continue.......

Hi! Good turn out for the Rally! excuse the pun but - POWER to the People!!'

Oh there'll be wealthy farmers alright! there's one there already and he doesn't exactly need the cash having 'cashed in' a couple years ago.. sods law eh!

I've seen the re-route map on the Eirgrid website that RCC sent to Eirgrid,
    ok, they suggest re-routing through the estuary itself but the cable goes behind the houses right beside the estuary? if am not mistaken..?
    and if so, and as the main argument is possible health risks etc.. it isn't exactly fair that this HV cable is behind the 2-3 houses on the Rush side of the estuary then, is it?
    Can anyone possibly enquire & confirm this?

An increase in Wee men in Yellow jackets has been spotted in Rogerstown and a certain flower farmers land (lovely chap....!) is cordoned off for machine access etc so things are moving there

That's why I ask LeoB....consider all possibilities, because Eirgrid will. The estuary might seem practical to you - it doesn't to me, and it mightn't to Eirgrid.

All this protesting is going on the assumption that Eirgrid will bow to the pressure and re route through the estuary as the protesters want, but what if they don't? Where do the protesters go then? The argument changes then - protesters are not just "objecting to the route", they're demanding it goes where they want it, without knowing the background details of what would be required.I would also imagine any money that's ringfenced for Rush will find it's way elsewhere, if it appears at all, if that's the case.

To be honest, there's not many poor farmers in this area anyway, there's a few in Lusk that cashed in several years ago aswell:rolleyes:

ah Yeah,getting on grand..miss the Maur's though..keep up the good work..ttu soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

DaveD1312 - Please stay on-topic. This thread is about the Eirgrid issue in Rush, it's not for having a chinwag with an old pal.

HB

ok HB

That's why I ask LeoB....consider all possibilities, because Eirgrid will. The estuary might seem practical to you - it doesn't to me, and it mightn't to Eirgrid.

All this protesting is going on the assumption that Eirgrid will bow to the pressure and re route through the estuary as the protesters want, but what if they don't? Where do the protesters go then? The argument changes then - protesters are not just "objecting to the route", they're demanding it goes where they want it, without knowing the background details of what would be required.I would also imagine any money that's ringfenced for Rush will find it's way elsewhere, if it appears at all, if that's the case.

To be honest, there's not many poor farmers in this area anyway, there's a few in Lusk that cashed in several years ago aswell:rolleyes:

Id be suprised if they dont have more than 1 alternative route. Can I ask you dan_d, Apart from the S.A.C status around Rogerstown why does the Estuary not seem practicle to you?

I agree there will be a huge problem if they dont have alternative route but I dont think they are demanding "their" route be the the only route. The estuary was route was investigated by Eirgrid and they decided for their reasons not to go that route probably as has been stated here earlier there would be huge problems with wildlife protection groups but Fingal threw a spanner in the works by assembling the pipes for there for the project in Portrane/Donabate. I got the impression they 9Rush C.C.) were open to discussion and ideas for another route.

On your final point about poor farmers!!! Think again. Its common knowlege that quite a few invested heavily in shares (on advice from the experts) and some are quite open on that and they saw their investments slashed by up to 90%. I dont begrudge them their money and would like to actually to see a recovery in the markets as the vast majority of them have often put there hands in their pockets to help others out and also been very good to Rush

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let's be careful we don't end up taking this thread on to discussing the living standards of local farmers (it's had enough off-topic diversions already)

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement

No worries, Beasty, I've no further particular opinions on farmers!!:D

As to the subject of Eirgrid....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0915/1224278896060.html

See the article above from today's Times.It speaks for itself - and highlights that there is an element of the ridiculous to this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

No worries, Beasty, I've no further particular opinions on farmers!!:D

As to the subject of Eirgrid....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0915/1224278896060.html

See the article above from today's Times.It speaks for itself - and highlights that there is an element of the ridiculous to this campaign.

Now thats a nasty article, The Times seems to have swung against the No campaign, I read a comment on the Rush Needs You website earlier in the week accusing The Irish Times of reprinting the Eirgrid leaflet in an article while praising the Indo for its journalism. But then again, The Times doesn't own the local rag that is struggling with sales like the Indo group does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Corsendonk wrote: »
    ..I read a comment on the Rush Needs You website earlier in the week accusing The Irish Times of reprinting the Eirgrid leaflet in an article while praising the Indo for its journalism.

Perhaps this one ?

Now thats a nasty article, The Times seems to have swung against the No campaign, I read a comment on the Rush Needs You website earlier in the week accusing The Irish Times of reprinting the Eirgrid leaflet in an article while praising the Indo for its journalism. But then again, The Times doesn't own the local rag that is struggling with sales like the Indo group does.

Sincerley, Welcome back.

It seems Eirgrid are now employing spin doctors or have changed their P.R. consultants. I think its fair comment by people to accuse The Times of reprinting the Eirgrid article, we know after these last few days what lazy journalists are capable of doing and it appears what was once "thee Paper" to work for is not really a lot better than the sun.

Is the local rag you refer to the Fingal Indo or community news? Think in fairness the local community news is more of an information sheet for the community if people bother to give them articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sincerley, Welcome back.

It seems Eirgrid are now employing spin doctors or have changed their P.R. consultants. I think its fair comment by people to accuse The Times of reprinting the Eirgrid article, we know after these last few days what lazy journalists are capable of doing and it appears what was once "thee Paper" to work for is not really a lot better than the sun.

Is the local rag you refer to the Fingal Indo or community news? Think in fairness the local community news is more of an information sheet for the community if people bother to give them articles.

Thanks

I sometimes post in the news and media forum and you will find that most of the opinion there is that the journalism standards of the Indo group have slipped rather than The Times with some very knowledgable posters pointing out examples were the Indo Group have lifted articles from competitor papers and even included the spelling mistakes. If you care to post your comments there about the Times been not really a lot better than the sun go ahead, I be genuinely interested in the feedback from people who study the media alot more than me.

The local rag I refered to was the Fingal Indo, I don't think the Indo group will be interested in buying the local newsletter just yet:D

Update: Weekly sales average
    Fingal Indo Sales 2008 Jan-Jun 5,432
    Sales 2010 Jan-Jun 3,839
    Drop in Sales 1,593

As you can see there sales figures are struggling, might explain the 4 pages of syndicated opinion(Ivan Yeates etc) in each local indo paper as a filler to reduce costs.

Thanks

I sometimes post in the news and media forum and you will find that most of the opinion there is that the journalism standards of the Indo group have slipped rather than The Times with some very knowledgable posters pointing out examples were the Indo Group have lifted articles from competitor papers and even included the spelling mistakes. If you care to post your comments there about the Times been not really a lot better than the sun go ahead, I be genuinely interested in the feedback from people who study the media alot more than me.

The local rag I refered to was the Fingal Indo, I don't think the Indo group will be interested in buying the local newsletter just yet:D

The local news can at least say they dont lift articles and might improve standards of Indo;)

Standards have dropped all over the place of that there is no doubt and The Times are not much better than the rest. The people giving me feedback could well be some of the people who contibute to the demise in standards.

Back on topic, I am sure if Rush community council had a link in either of the Times or Indo, (I gave them contacts for both) we would have a slightly different angle from journalists within the same paper. The times does appear to have an air of authority about it but I wonder did they put a call to any one local involved in the re route Eirgrid campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Newton Emmerson has a satirical column most weeks - he takes a norn unionist slant on things. I wouldn't take it as any IT taking a side on things.

Got 3 (three) flyers in my door last night from Eirgrid. Have heard nothing in a few days. Has anyone here got any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

got the same flyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

According to the Co. Co., Eirgrid were going to take from the 11Aug to the 15th Sept to lay the cable between Blakes Cross and Ballyboughil.

The road was still closed last night. - and no notice on
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/TemporaryRoadClosures/

Maybe take Eirgrid's timings with a pinch of salt.

Advertisement