Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid in Rush - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Corsendonk wrote: »
    We now all know that with the help of Nationwide you work for An Post which is a state body. Should we trust you? :D
    @Corsendonk - dressing such a statement up with a smiley does not make it acceptable

I am sure you were trying to inject a bit of humour into the thread, but as you will see from Leo's response, people can and will take offence from such comments

Please do not get personal again

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Eirgrid survey heads on the main street on Thursday morning.. AND.. whitestown cemetery, scraic with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Beasty wrote: »
    @Corsendonk - dressing such a statement up with a smiley does not make it acceptable

I am sure you were trying to inject a bit of humour into the thread, but as you will see from Leo's response, people can and will take offence from such comments

Thanks

Beasty

Thank you Beasty, No offence taken.

I think Corsendonk winds me up when there is nothing good on T.V and the Rugby was was s**T

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

LeoB wrote: »
    An Bord Pleannala conducted no independent Health and Safety report. They relied on reports made for and PAID for by Eirgrid And remember we as a nation are up in arms with the proposed Budget we are facing yet here is the oppertunity to save €5 million by coming up the estuary.

Maybe if the people who are objecting now that the planning board made their decision took a little interest in the plan and submitted their own Health ad Safety report, the planning board could have given that some consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Beasty wrote: »

Thanks

Beasty

I am beginning to suspect people take themselves too seriously. How anyone could take a post with a quote from Adolf Hitler seriously is beyond me. Did no one think to google it before replying? Why did you think I didn't identify the source?

• Advertisement

Maybe if the people who are objecting now that the planning board made their decision took a little interest in the plan and submitted their own Health ad Safety report, the planning board could have given that some consideration.

But as a state owned company should we not expect them to be fully upfront? Why should citizens be expected to fork out for Health and Safety reports when the people we elect to act on our behalf, take care of our needs and run the country make such a fuk mess when they should be acting in the best interests of us? The planning board are the problem here and proved themselves incompetent time and again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I am beginning to suspect people take themselves too seriously. How anyone could take a post with a quote from Adolf Hitler seriously is beyond me. Did no one think to google it before replying? Why did you think I didn't identify the source?

So, you think that we all have time to go googling your quotes to see whether your intent was serious or comedic? Cop on. We all have better things to be doing with our time.

If you persist with veiled digs at other posters I will ban you from this thread.

Get back on topic.

HB

It wasn't a veiled dig as you seem to think so. Kindly don't assume the worst of your fellow man please, some of us are good christian people and I take offence at you attacking my morals with your interpretations. Posts are like emails if the target audience isnt in a good mood people can take the true intention up wrongly. A light hearted tongue in cheek post at the whole ludriciousness of the situation caused by propaganda(another poster used that word first) such as the leaflet gets further turned into more ludricious by having to dissect my post to explain.

My post was a point that people give out about big business and government bodies whilst forgetting that 360900(2009) work for the biggested business in the country the government and these people are part of all aspects of our community. So the last statement that <snip> kindly posted from the leaflet that he received in his door was tarnishing anyone that worked for the government or state bodies and I reference him lightheartedly as he has made it no secret that he works for the state as do others here that haven't highlighted that fact. I should add that statement was by the No to Eirgrid campaign and not himself. I was just pointing out the ludriciousness of the situation with the No to Eirgrid raising paronoia levels were no conspiracy existed just simple old stupidity and lazeness from the state body.

It wasn't a veiled dig as you seem to think so. Kindly don't assume the worst of your fellow man please, some of us are good christian people and I take offence at you attacking my morals with your interpretations. Posts are like emails if the target audience isnt in a good mood people can take the true intention up wrongly. A light hearted tongue in cheek post at the whole ludriciousness of the situation caused by propaganda(another poster used that word first) such as the leaflet gets further turned into more ludricious by having to dissect my post to explain.

My post was a point that people give out about big business and government bodies whilst forgetting that 360900(2009) work for the biggested business in the country the government and these people are part of all aspects of our community. So the last statement that <snip> kindly posted from the leaflet that he received in his door was tarnishing anyone that worked for the government or state bodies and I reference him lightheartedly as he has made it no secret that he works for the state as do others here that haven't highlighted that fact. I should add that statement was by the No to Eirgrid campaign and not himself. I was just pointing out the ludriciousness of the situation with the No to Eirgrid raising paronoia levels were no conspiracy existed just simple old stupidity and lazeness from the state body.

I think some of your posts are peeing people a little. The tone of them, not always the content.

My position is I have taken the side of the underdog in this fight on the basis of what I heard at 2 meetings. On each occasion our state body/company was totally discredited by local people and on each occasion either hid behind another state body who are supposed to be independent or tried to quote European directives which were both proven to be inaccurate. That is not just laziness is fckn scandelous. If they took their finger out and were up front and honest from day 1 this project would be well advanced by now. However maybe it has made Rush people wake up and stand together. You know as well as anyone on here we have had different sections of our community doing good work but not a lot of joined up thinking or planning this campaign has changed that I hope. And I also hope people like you and me will assist and work together or to a common plan to make Rush a bettter place for everyone, whatever about me the community council need good people to come forward in manty areas and I hope you can help them out in the future.

Anyway I heard this morning work is due to start this week, dont know if it is true but I would expect a little disruption this week or next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

On the first page and I dont want to over old groud the leaflet states
    Eirgrid will tell you
    These cables are perfectly safe - NOT TRUE
    It will be impossible to accidently excavate or expose cables - NOT TRUE
    Rogerstown Estuary can not be used at its a Nature 2000 iisite - NOT TRUE
    They have been honest and upfront with all public information - NOT TRUE
    HVDC are the same as exisiting underground cables - NOT TRUE
    Eirgrid is a state owned company and therefore we should trust them - WOULD YOU? Personally NO

The trusting Eirgrid point is probably the least relevant of the points above, so no point getting caught up in that one, and the *joke* was probably a tactic to divert attention away from the others.

• Advertisement

The trusting Eirgrid point is probably the least relevant of the points above, so no point getting caught up in that one, and the *joke* was probably a tactic to divert attention away from the others.

Well its a free country so think what you want and I could change my user name to Niccolò Machiavelli if you like. But the other points had been done a death(my latest hobby) already so thought I would run with that point and this conspiracy theory influence that has crept in since 9/11 in Ireland were it's a whole organisation responsible for one or a small group actions/mistakes. Simple as that.

Well its a free country so think what you want and I could change my user name to Niccolò Machiavelli if you like. But the other points had been done a death(my latest hobby) already so thought I would run with that point and this conspiracy theory influence that has crept in since 9/11 in Ireland were it's a whole organisation responsible for one or a small group actions/mistakes. Simple as that.

The last bit of my post above are my words
    Eirgrid is a state owned company and therefore we should trust them - WOULD YOU? Personally NO

Taking into account what I heard and the 5 other point I would not trust them, and thats because of their laziness and woeful attidtude, not mine. Simple as that:)

Speaking of death, I think the end is nigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dave_oxo

Can anyone Please give me 5 reasons( with rationale) why this should not go ahead ?

On the FRONTLINE (RTE) recently there was person complaining that the north south connector cable wasnt been buried.

It was stated on the programme the people in North Dublin were complaining about a buried cable.

??

dave_oxo wrote: »
    Can anyone Please give me 5 reasons( with rationale) why this should not go ahead ?

On the FRONTLINE (RTE) recently there was person complaining that the north south connector cable wasnt been buried.

It was stated on the programme the people in North Dublin were complaining about a buried cable.

??

Not sure if you read all the posts but but from what I know No one is against the cable the complaint is against the selected route, hense we have the re-route Eirgrid campaign.

BTW this is East-West interconnector we are talking about here.

Anyway, At this stage Eirgrid are about to start work. I got a leaflet in my door yesterday and the one point I take serious issue with is they state they have kept people informed from the start. This is clearly untrue. They showed where a cable similar to the one proposed for Rush is used in Dunstable (?) in U.K. Why didnt they discredit the one shown by RE-Route campaign in Germany? And this is where there has been a serious problem communication or lack there of has raised suspicion. I got my first piece of litrature from them a few months ago and as I stated much earlier in the thread I was not informed about any public meeting. They stated they had talks with Rush Community Council and this is simply not good enough as Rush C.C are not elected in a public election but at their A.G.M and its a bit rich to say they represent the people of Rush. OK we should all go the A.G.M but if Eirgrid were serious about their work and keeping everyone on side they should have ensured every house, based on register of electors would have got notification through their door. It would have saved an awful lot of hassle rather than deliver hap hazzardly through some doors and not others.

They make their arguments on all the other points and I still have no reason to believ them. Once an objection had been raised their should have been an agreed Independent Investigation into the process and I have no doubt this project would now be finished or work would be further advanced.

I hope none of the Goverment appointees move to our banking system or Dept of Finance when this project is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

In St. Josephs secondary school today petitions against the Eirgrid were given to the children to sign by older students. My 12 year old son signed the petition. Having spoken with him it is clear he has no idea about the issues or what the petition was even saying. I think that is a very underhand practice.

Have you contacted the school to complain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does anyone pay attention to petitions anyway?

imokyrok wrote: »
    In St. Josephs secondary school today petitions against the Eirgrid were given to the children to sign by older students. My 12 year old son signed the petition. Having spoken with him it is clear he has no idea about the issues or what the petition was even saying. I think that is a very underhand practice.

I dont agree with this type of stuff. However its mild in comparison to the way the state company acted.

I do know some of the older pupils are very pro active in the community in a positive way, helping in local clubs, doing clean ups,monitoring younger student etc etc. Knowing the principle reasonably well I dont think (am pretty sure) she would not allow this.

I have on the basis of the above post

Not really. As we have been advised here before its always better to get individual submissions. Each submission gets a response, where there is only 1 response to a letter signed by lots of people. Mind you if names and addresses are supplied Fingal usually do respond. Dont know how An Board Pleannala deal with submissions in general but quite a sizeable view around Rush is they dont deal very well with them.

Well it doesn't help there credibility when you get people to sign up without explaining what its about.

The Lisbon Treaty established the European Citizen Initiative which is a way for EU citizens to petition the EU to call for the bringing forward of new legislation. The final workings have just to be approved but already Greenpeace have started on the first submission which is concerned with banning the growing of GMO crops in the EU. One of the delay issues is how to have tranparency which would stop issues like what the above poster outlined from happening.

Broad rules are
    • have at least 1 million signatories, from a significant number of EU countries
    • concern a policy area where the Commission has powers to act…
    • and an issue for which people think an EU law is needed to implement the EU Treaties.

• Advertisement

I will in the morning. Is it even legal to to trawl for underage childrens signatures in a school I'm wondering? If it is it shouldn't be.

Just talking to my 12 year old. It was explained to him that there is a possible health risk when this cable is laid and serious traffic disruption also, he was rushing to class when approached and had not got time to sign it.

He felt they appeared to be fair and were trying to explain the risks as best they could

Just talking to my 12 year old. It was explained to him that there is a possible health risk when this cable is laid and serious traffic disruption also, he was rushing to class when approached and had not got time to sign it.

He felt they appeared to be fair and were trying to explain the risks as best they could

Not good enough. At the very least if a school is going to permit petitions it should ensure children hear both side of the issues especially the science. I'll bet there is no plan to make it apparent that uninformed children rather than adults were the signatories when that petition is submitted. Very manipulative.

Come on this is Josephs isn't it? Back in the day if a senior shoved something in your face and told you in a quick one liner what it was about you would sign anything just to be glad your head wasn't put down the jacks if you said no. We were all 12 remember:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Come on this is Josephs isn't it? Back in the day if a senior shoved something in your face and told you in a quick one liner what it was about you would sign anything just to be glad your head wasn't put down the jacks if you said no. We were all 12 remember:)

I wonder how many Seymour Butts signed? They are kids remember

imokyrok wrote: »
    I will in the morning. Is it even legal to to trawl for underage childrens signatures in a school I'm wondering? If it is it shouldn't be.

I dont thinks illegal but its inappropriate
    he was rushing to class when approached and had not got time to sign it.

They tried according to my son but were overwhelmed with students, still does not make it right.

I didnt go to St. Josephs and dont know what it was like when you went there or if you went there?
    But St. Josephs today is a superb school. I have had plenty of dealing with the school in the last 4 or 5 years and have attended a few functions and fundraisers and was amazed at what is going on in St. Josephs. The commitment of the staff and the principle I think is unequalled in Fingal. The level of extra ciricular activities going on is excellent, the percentage going on to 3rd level is very high, students from St. Josephs are regularly podium finishers in inter school acedemic competitions and the behaviour of the students on the street is is very good also. I can compare this most favourably to what I have seen going on in other N.C.D towns after school. (There are a few ass's ok)

They tried according to my son but were overwhelmed with students, still does not make it right.

I didnt go to St. Josephs and dont know what it was like when you went there or if you went there?
    But St. Josephs today is a superb school. I have had plenty of dealing with the school in the last 4 or 5 years and have attended a few functions and fundraisers and was amazed at what is going on in St. Josephs. The commitment of the staff and the principle I think is unequalled in Fingal. The level of extra ciricular activities going on is excellent, the percentage going on to 3rd level is very high, students from St. Josephs are regularly podium finishers in inter school acedemic competitions and the behaviour of the students on the street is is very good also. I can compare this most favourably to what I have seen going on in other N.C.D towns after school. (There are a few ass's ok)

I agree with your opinion of St. Josephs. I have a child attending another secondary school in the area and I also had a child transfer from that school to Rush and I would rate St. Josephs well ahead of it. The staff are very involved with the children and the principal is innovative and passionate. I think this is an aberration and wonder if permission was sought at all?

Sorry Mods this is very off topic I know!

I think you have to have gone there Leo to get a true reflection of the place. I know your fiercely proud of Rush but the school never figures in the Sunday Times top secondary schools in Ireland while both of the Loretta schools do consistently so I would have to rank them above St Josephs. Sunday Times figures are based on exam results in Leaving Cert and the standard of University/Colleges that the girls go on to. That might explain the scenes we had in recent years from anxious parents trying to register their daughter in either of the Loretta Schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clay j

Well this is my first post on boards and having glanced at a few posts I am amazed at some of the posts.

From what I see both sides have been economicle with the facts. One side bullying their way around as only these Goverment bodies can and the other scaring people with emotive words.

One thing for sure if I were the boss of Eirgrid, minister with responsibility that is, I would not be happy with the way this has been handled. I dont know the ins and outs of the whole thing but it appears to have very badly handled and if they over spend by €5mill before we are 1/4 way through project what will they over spend by the end? Heads should roll

The campaign against the route are not active enough and I have a feeling they got off the ground a few months to late. I would be totally against these petitions in schoolsas a few bullies could could distort the numbers big time. I am however not suggesting that is what would happen in this school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clay j

Oooops. Sorry

Advertisement