Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge in TkMaxx

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

It's painful. Physically painful. I'd love to know who did it. They didn't even translate something as simple as "men" right.

It wrecks my head every time I go in there.

If you're going to do it, at least do it properly.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nuggles wrote: »
    Perhaps Tip-Ex over the English translations like Eamonn O'Cuiv's wonderfully Stalinist Gaeltacht road signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

If I were to TipEx anything it'd be the Irish, because it's ****e.

Then I'd write over it myself, correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Gaillimh le Gaeilge usually provide proofing services to any organisations that are part of any of their schemes. It obviously wasn't done in this case.

Check out the road signs out at the Galway Omniplex too. They translate cinema as cineama. Did they ever hear of an phictiúrlann?

And the worst thing about it is that we can't give out. If we give out, people will say "You're luck to have it in Irish at all".

I usually view mistakes like these as half-hearted attempts for the company to look good, without any real interest in the language. It insults the intelligence of Irish speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Check out the road signs out at the Galway Omniplex too. They translate cinema as cineama. Did they ever hear of an phictiúrlann?

They probably have, but its about being quaint, not correct!

• Advertisement

Little mistakes don't really bother me.

But TkMaxx is a disaster, nothing is done well.

Who did it? Why couldn't they use a dictionary.!?!!?

Little mistakes don't really bother me.

Mistakes people make in speech, whether in English or Irish, don't really bother me, but when it's a sign in a shop or an official document, more effort should be made in being as professional as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The real dream would be to go up to the counter and ask "Cé mhéad ar seo?" and be understood.
    If I could do that, I wouldn't care if it was arseways Russian they had on the signs tbh.

Not having a go OP but if that annoys you, you mustn't have much to be worrying about..

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Noticed it too..
    Stupid literal translations as well.. "Tá do charáiste ag feithimh" or ag fanacht not sure.. Just doesn't look right..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cinema is latin. Pictiúrlann is béarlachas.. I've heard Amharclann used aswell. While technically being "Theatre" - "the pictures" and "theatre" were used interchangeably when I was growing up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

topper75 wrote: »
    The real dream would be to go up to the counter and ask "Cé mhéad ar seo?" and be understood.
    If I could do that, I wouldn't care if it was arseways Russian they had on the signs tbh.

Why would you want to use an uncommon language to carry out a transaction when a language both parties will understand is available?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Why would you want to use an uncommon language to carry out a transaction when a language both parties will understand is available?
    800 YEARRRRRS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I am lamenting that is uncommon. The 'common' language was imposed. I feel it is never too late to unimpose it.

Ever feel something might be missing in the service when in France and asking "2 coffees please"? Every wonder why?

Not having a go OP but if that annoys you, you mustn't have much to be worrying about..

I don't.

There's one thing, a big long paragraph, then at the end it says "tig leat".

What the hell is that meant to mean.

What does the irish directly translate as? .. If it translates at all

The general idea is that if the language is not used, then it will die out. In theory yes, you could both use one language. It's subjective to be honest. It depends on how you feel about the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Ever feel something might be missing in the service when in France and asking "2 coffees please"? Every wonder why?

Because you are in France?

I agree it is pathetic to have it incorrectly spelt but if this would happen where I am from (not Ireland) I would just laugh. There are plenty of other things to be annoyed about, (even inside TK Maxx) like the price of Mivadi or KFC...

I am lamenting that is uncommon. The 'common' language was imposed. I feel it is never too late to unimpose it.

dlofnep wrote: »
    The general idea is that if the language is not used, then it will die out. In theory yes, you could both use one language. It's subjective to be honest. It depends on how you feel about the language.
    But English is the superior language and one which having as our main language improves our access to art, TV, printed media, the internet, businesses etc.

But English is the superior language and one which having as our main language improves our access to art, TV, printed media, the internet, businesses etc.

I'm unsure as to what correlation there is between language and art.

Our access to TV is not hindered by being able to speak two languages. Infact, it is increased.

You seem to be putting a disingenous scenario out there where we would only speak one of the two languages. That is not the case.

I'm not interested in getting into a discussion about your own personal feelings about the Irish language.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Not the thread or place. My apologies.

No probs dude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Instead of just giving out on the internet, has anyone actually tried contacting TK Maxx's management to tell them of your distress at the mutilation of your language, which is so great that it stops you from shopping in their stores?

(It's not like this is their first Irish store.)

I tried to find some contact info online actually.

Couldn't find anything.

Dunno how much attention a head office somewhere in the UK would pay to it.

Advertisement