Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running's not just for Christmas, its for life

Options
  • 08-06-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have decided to join the training log gang again! For those of ye who don't know me, Im a person who likes to run, will never win anything but will give it a good shot! Im in it for the love of running and the craic. I am definitely more endurance than sprinter distance, have very little speed in me. I have 4 marathons under my belt, my pb being Limerick in May, where I was esctatic with my 3:46:19 effort. At the moment, I am focussing on 10km fun runs as there are badoodles of them happening, there's alot less committment with them, and the bf, some siblings, some cuz's and friends are in to them also so it makes for a great day out!

My 10km pb was the Plassey 10km, the week before the marathon. I managed it in 47:11 which was 2minutes faster than my previous time. I did the salty faces 2 weeks ago, came in around 48:02. I did the Kilkee funrun at the weekend, it was hot and hilly and felt good (except maybe for breakfast being a bit too close to start time). Came in at 49:02. Thoroughly enjoyed it though. Will train away for the rest of June, and work towards hopefully peaking for the Clare 10km, on June 26th in Ennis.

Im trying to get plenty variety in with my running at the moment, build up the core, trim down the fat. Eating healthier too (attended dietician for info re. shifting a half stone that does not want to budge). I am always around 9st7lbs, only 5ft2. I cycle to/from college where Im based. Hopefully by all powers combined, I will be running faster. Nothing too serious or intense though, all for the fun of it :cool:

Training so far for Month of June:
    Monday May 31st - 30min of core work
    Tuesday Jun 1st - 1km swim in 30min. Felt great after it. Later that evening 4.6mile run [36:42]. Decided to not kill myself entirely, but still took 2sec off my pb for this route, that includes a cracker of a hill (the dublin rd. end of the golf links road).
    Wednesday Jun 2nd - 30min core and the same 4.6mile run again [37:20].
    Thursday Jun 3rd - 600m swim in about 20min.
    Friday Jun 4th - 4.5mile run in kilkee [36:02]. Unbelievable evening for it, ran some of the route for the fun run on sunday, then along by the diamond rocks. It was heaven.
    Saturday Jun 5th - an easy run around the diamond rocks, just 2.5miles approx this time [20:14].
    Sunday Jun 6th - 6.2mile fun run in about [49:02]. Was a little disappointed with my time (about 1min slower than salty faces the previous week) but how and ever, onwards and upwards. I think it was due to getting my eating times wrong.

weight at start of Week 1: 9st8lbs
    weight on Friday of Week 1: 9st5lbs! (can't remember last time I was under 9st7lbs)

Week#|Running (miles)|Swimming (km)|Cycling (miles)|Core (min)
    1|22.4|1.6|12.5|50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good luck with it.

You have triathlete written all over you..move to the dark side:)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Izoard wrote: »
    You have triathlete written all over you..move to the dark side:)

Thanks Izoard, I have thought about it, bought books about it and chatted with triathletes. Only things stopping me is that triathletes are fast; at everything! And I just dont do speed! Also, how does a contact lenses wearer manage the swim??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted you started a log Marie, I'll be following this with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Welcome back. Dont mind the Tri Guys its all about being vertical and on your feet :D Just run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

best of luck with th training and the log

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looking forward to reading the new log. Any more marathons planned?

MarieC wrote: »
    Only things stopping me is that triathletes are fast; at everything! And I just dont do speed! Also, how does a contact lenses wearer manage the swim??

Don't be fooled by all the gear...there are many of us (me being a shining example) who are built for comfort rather than speed:)

As for the lenses....laser surgery:D

Izoard wrote: »
    As for the lenses....laser surgery:D

not suitable for laser surgery - my corneas are too thin and I am too blind! Do people wear contacts with their goggles or what when swimming?

Looking forward to reading the new log. Any more marathons planned?

Hi Krusty, no marathons planned at the moment, just embracing the funruns at the moment really.If I keep up the fitness, and maybe sneak in a few long runs, I might consider Longford, its meant to be a good one. So will see. I have to say its nice having no set training programme to stick to at the moment.

not suitable for laser surgery - my corneas are too thin and I am too blind! Do people wear contacts with their goggles or what when swimming?

Before I had the eyes "done", I was using contacts with goggles.
    The only risk is potentially getting a kick during a tri swim, but your eyes will be tightly shut at the time:)

• Advertisement

weight at start of Week 2: 9st7lbs (weekends are my achilles!)

Monday Jun 7th - manky weather so twas a rest day.
    Tuesday Jun 8th - the 4.6mile route in 36:42. My second time equalling my pb for this route. Felt like I pushed it, had a strong wind against me and wanted to puke by the end of it. So the improved time will hopefully come.....20min of core work then before bed.
    Wednesday Jun 9th - heading to the special olympics opening ceremony this evening, so 1km swim this morning in about 32min. Haven't swam in the morning in years!
    2|4.6|1|3.75|20

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Best of luck MarieC! From what I remember seeing you on the bus after the Connemarathon half you were only a wee slip of a thing anyway so not sure where the weight is going to come off from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Thanks Izoard, I have thought about it, bought books about it and chatted with triathletes. Only things stopping me is that triathletes are fast; at everything! And I just dont do speed!

Emmmm - haven't we met?????? I don't do speed; at anything! Get yourself ready for the Brian Boru and you'll love it. Come to the Dark Side...... we've got cake!

Best of luck with the log and the training Marie :)

RedB wrote: »
    Thanks Izoard, I have thought about it, bought books about it and chatted with triathletes. Only things stopping me is that triathletes are fast; at everything! And I just dont do speed!

Emmmm - haven't we met?????? I don't do speed; at anything! Get yourself ready for the Brian Boru and you'll love it. Come to the Dark Side...... we've got cake!

Best of luck with the log and the training Marie :)

someone say cake??? where? when? Im all over it!
    Off to look up the Brian Boru now.......... tis all your fault RedB! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Welcome back and good luck with the training Marie!

weight at start of Week 2: 9st7lbs
    weight on Friday of Week 2: 9st7lbs

Tuesday Jun 8th - the 4.6mile route in 36:42. My second time equalling my pb for this route. Felt like I pushed it, had a strong wind against me and wanted to puke by the end of it. So the improved time will hopefully come.....20min of core work then before bed.
    Wednesday Jun 9th - heading to the special olympics opening ceremony this evening, so 1km swim this morning in about 32min. Haven't swam in the morning in years!
    Thursday Jun 10th - hungry and tired. was like a bottomless pit and dinner just did not suffice. also too tired, and it was too hot for my run. Took evening off but still did core exercises before bed.
    Friday Jun 11th - really not sleeping well these days at all. Decided this morning, to do the run I missed last night. 4.6miles in 37:01. Assessed the hill for maybe trying to cycle it and it might be do-able. I have awful visions of me falling off the bike and down the hill! Mind over matter eh? ;)
    2|9.2|1|6.25|40

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I watched Brian Boru last year. Its local, its friendly and relaxed and the location is very pretty. The swim will be handy just out on the lake a bit and back in. Tough bike but its short and then up the mountain for the run and you cross the viewpoint with a spectacular view of lough derg.

Go on it will be a nice challenge for you and you have the fitness already. You just need a bike and a wetsuit. Actually there is a wetsuit fitting session this Monday night at 7pm out in Castleconnel if you wanted to come out and try one on and even jump in for a splash. The water is lovely there now and clean too.

Sure you may as well get on the S/C/R challenge while you are at it if you need motivation like :D

Thursday Jun 10th - hungry and tired. was like a bottomless pit and dinner just did not suffice. also too tired, and it was too hot for my run. Took evening off but still did core exercises before bed.
    Friday Jun 11th a.m.- really not sleeping well these days at all. Decided this morning, to do the run I missed last night. 4.6miles in 37:01. Assessed the hill for maybe trying to cycle it and it might be do-able. I have awful visions of me falling off the bike and down the hill! Mind over matter eh? ;)
    p.m. - todays run today! lovely evening for it. Felt good, took it handy but made myself push it up a gear for 20sec on each mile. Was delyra to do it in 36:03! 59seconds faster than this morning, and "shaved" 40seconds off my pb for this route! Delighted, great for the motivation. :cool:
    2|13.8|1|7.25|40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see your new log Marie. You're really flying since the PhD finished!

I've the same prob as yourself in the eye dept Marie with age mixed into the bargain :rolleyes:. It's either goggles and lenses (which usually leaves me slightly on edge that I'm going to lose them) or don't bother :(

Friday Jun 11th a.m.- really not sleeping well these days at all. Decided this morning, to do the run I missed last night. 4.6miles in 37:01. Assessed the hill for maybe trying to cycle it and it might be do-able. I have awful visions of me falling off the bike and down the hill! Mind over matter eh? ;)
    p.m. - todays run today! lovely evening for it. Felt good, took it handy but made myself push it up a gear for 20sec on each mile. Was delyra to do it in 36:03! 59seconds faster than this morning, and "shaved" 40seconds off my pb for this route! Delighted, great for the motivation. :cool:
    Saturday Jun 12th - 4.6mile run @ around 3p.m so it was hot hot hot! Did it in 36:07 so at least I know that the pb the previous evening wasn't a one-off, and my times are actually improving.
    Sunday Jun 13th - had planned to do a run today but was just way too tired after a long and great night out. So just did the core this evening.

Happy with how this week went, I do feel like the core is strengthening and getting more involved in the runs. Feeling fit and that Im ever so slightly pushing my fitness but not stressing and enjoying every session.
    Week#|Running (miles)|Swimming (km)|Cycling (miles)|Core # of sessions)
    2|18.4|1|7.5|4

• Advertisement

weight at start of Week 3: 9st7lbs

Monday Jun 14th - rest :)
    Tuesday Jun 15th - was at home in clare so brought the sister out for a gentle 2.5mile run @ 10min/mile pace. Handy for me so focused on my stride, forcing my thighs upwards so getting more bounce and using them more. Did exercises for my glutes then before bed. Really good, they really showed how tight and in need of attention my glutes, thighs and hamstrings are.
    Wednesday Jun 16th - What a difference a morning makes! Im getting more serious about signing up for the Brian Boru Triathlon, so at 8a.m my brother Rory, myself and the dog, Guinness, went for a swim in the lake near home in Clare. I had no wetsuit, just my togs on under my running gear. Contacts in, Goggles on very tightly. It was v.cold on entry, but I think that was mainly my shock as well. Eased myself in slowly and started swimming, took a while for the body and breathing to regulate and once they did, I could put the head down properly and swim. There is an island in the middle of the lake so we swam to that, swam to the other side of the lake, and back the way we came. Was swimming for 50minutes in total so alot more confident about the swim section now! Daunting things were the water being brown, plants in the lake, uneven/unpredictable floor level, no wall to lean on every 50minutes. Loved it though, was very invigorating and great to know I can do it.

Week#|Running (miles)|Swimming (km)|Cycling (miles)|Core # of sessions)
    3|2.5|1.5 approx|5|1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Wow - that's great swimming there Marie! Fair play to you. Beautiful weather to be doing it. Great to hear that you're thinking seriously about the Brian Boru. Just be aware that its a hilly cycle and a hill run! I haven't done it myself but the run is meant to be quite steep from what I hear.

RedB wrote: »
    Just be aware that its a hilly cycle and a hill run! I haven't done it myself but the run is meant to be quite steep from what I hear.

Thanks RedB. Happy enough now for the swim section, will hopefully get a decent amount of open water swims done between now and August. Must sort wetsuit also.... Even if the run is hilly, I think I'll survive. Its the cycle Im most worries about because I have to get the racer yet off the brothers and try it out on a few hills.....plenty time yet hopefully...... I think Im psyched up for this one, and if I dont do it, who knows when I will work up the motivation again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I really must get to the water more to practice my atrocious swimming. You are making me feel guilty!

weight at start of Week 3: 9st7lbs

Tuesday Jun 15th - was at home in clare so brought the sister out for a gentle 2.5mile run @ 10min/mile pace. Handy for me so focused on my stride, forcing my thighs upwards so getting more bounce and using them more. Did exercises for my glutes then before bed. Really good, they really showed how tight and in need of attention my glutes, thighs and hamstrings are.
    Wednesday Jun 16th a.m.- What a difference a morning makes! Im getting more serious about signing up for the Brian Boru Triathlon, so at 8a.m my brother Rory, myself and the dog, Guinness, went for a swim in the lake near home in Clare. I had no wetsuit, just my togs on under my running gear. Contacts in, Goggles on very tightly. It was v.cold on entry, but I think that was mainly my shock as well. Eased myself in slowly and started swimming, took a while for the body and breathing to regulate and once they did, I could put the head down properly and swim. There is an island in the middle of the lake so we swam to that, swam to the other side of the lake, and back the way we came. Was swimming for 50minutes in total so alot more confident about the swim section now! Daunting things were the water being brown, plants in the lake, uneven/unpredictable floor level, no wall to lean on every 50minutes. Loved it though, was very invigorating and great to know I can do it.
    p.m. - gentle 3.6mile run with a friend. took 37:37. took it handy for her, so I focussed on pushing up the thighs, to work them and the hamstrings more.
    p.p.m - glutes exercises again. Only started these last night but think they are great and long overdue. to start Im just doing:
    1. Lying Hip extension (L + R, 20 each)
    2. Single leg squats (L + R, 20 each)
    3. split squats (L + R, 20 each)
    4. lying glute stretches (hold for 30sec for both legs)
    Week#|Running (miles)|Swimming (km)|Cycling (miles)|# of strengthening sessions)
    3|6.1|1.5 approx|7.5|2

weight: Week 3: 9st7lbs

Wednesday Jun 16th a.m.- What a difference a morning makes! Im getting more serious about signing up for the Brian Boru Triathlon, so at 8a.m my brother Rory, myself and the dog, Guinness, went for a swim in the lake near home in Clare. I had no wetsuit, just my togs on under my running gear. Contacts in, Goggles on very tightly. It was v.cold on entry, but I think that was mainly my shock as well. Eased myself in slowly and started swimming, took a while for the body and breathing to regulate and once they did, I could put the head down properly and swim. There is an island in the middle of the lake so we swam to that, swam to the other side of the lake, and back the way we came. Was swimming for 50minutes in total so alot more confident about the swim section now! Daunting things were the water being brown, plants in the lake, uneven/unpredictable floor level, no wall to lean on every 50minutes. Loved it though, was very invigorating and great to know I can do it.
    p.m. - gentle 3.6mile run with a friend. took 37:37. took it handy for her, so I focussed on pushing up the thighs, to work them and the hamstrings more.
    p.p.m - glutes exercises again. Only started these last night but think they are great and long overdue. to start Im just doing:
    1. Lying Hip extension (L + R, 20 each)
    2. Single leg squats (L + R, 20 each)
    3. split squats (L + R, 20 each)
    4. lying glute stretches (hold for 30sec for both legs)
    Thursday Jun 17th - mental day, no training.
    Friday Jun 18th - exhausted after mental day, no training.
    Saturday Jun 19th p.m.- nice run with the sis. 3.7miles in 34:35, 9.3min/mile pace.
    p.p.m. - lovely run back in Kilkee. Felt really good doing it and was able to push it, and not feel tired. Approx 5.5miles in 43min, 7.81min/mile pace.
    Sunday Jun 20th - wasn't going to go mad today, so just did a lovely 2.5miles(approx) by the diamond rocks back in kilkee. Some tasty short hills there! Previous pb for this was 20:40, did it in 19:50 so quite happy. Did core strengthening and work on glutes after that, along with a puck around on the beach!

overall quite happy with this week. Even if Im not doing very long training sessions, Im happy that I can mentally be ok with 2 a day. Glutes and core work definitely paying off. All good.
    Week#|Running (miles)|Swimming (km)|Cycling (miles)|# of strengthening sessions)
    3|17.8|1.5 approx|10|4

Monday Jun 21st - a run down by the river, from UL arena to the bridge in corbally. Measured on map my run as 5.54mile. Think we managed it in about 43/44minutes so Im happy with that as it is just under 8min/mile pace. Was a tough run this evening, reasons unknown. Always good to feel the burn though. Cool down was a 20min puck-around with the hurleys out on the pitches.
    4|5.54|-|3.75|-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good stuff hopping into the water without a wetsuit. It was lovely out in Castleconnel yesterday evening. I was tempted to do the long swim without the suit only I forgot my togs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

When I hear Triathlon and Brian Boru in the sentence I get summoned. I did Brian Boru last year my favourite of all of them. Swim is great, water is very clear, the cycle is tough alright but doable and the run is really tough (only the top guys were able to run up it) but when you get to the top of the hill its fast fast fast all the way down.

Great views of Lough Derg and the atmosphere was very enjoyable.

I am hoping to do this myself again this year but I have to hold off until the holidays are confirmed

• Advertisement

Good stuff hopping into the water without a wetsuit. It was lovely out in Castleconnel yesterday evening. I was tempted to do the long swim without the suit only I forgot my togs :o

I haven't purchased the wetsuit yet, and won't do until I get out on the bike and suss out if Im able for the cycle section. Just going to buy a cheap one on sale on internet. tis all about budget these days....

Really need to assess me+bike+hills asap.....

Advertisement