Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running's not just for Christmas, its for life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

catweazle wrote: »
    When I hear Triathlon and Brian Boru in the sentence I get summoned. I did Brian Boru last year my favourite of all of them. Swim is great, water is very clear, the cycle is tough alright but doable and the run is really tough (only the top guys were able to run up it) but when you get to the top of the hill its fast fast fast all the way down.

thanks catweazle, all positive accounts of this triathlon are much appreciated! I know I could probably start with an easier one, but I have decided that its this one or none for the immediate future. Hill running is not my forté but I am hoping for some divine intervention, and hill training between now and then. Heck if I conquer the cycle I can conquer anything!

Monday Jun 21st - a run down by the river, from UL arena to the bridge in corbally. Measured on map my run as 5.54mile. Think we managed it in about 43/44minutes so Im happy with that as it is just under 8min/mile pace. Was a tough run this evening, reasons unknown. Always good to feel the burn though. Cool down was a 20min puck-around with the hurleys out on the pitches.
    Tuesday Jun 22nd - easy run down by the river with one of the girls. 3.6miles in 37:09, near pb for her. Glutes session then later. Hip so much the better for them.
    Week#|Running (miles)|Swimming (km)|Cycling (miles)|# of strengthening sessions
    4|9.14|-|6.25|1

Monday Jun 21st - a run down by the river, from UL arena to the bridge in corbally. Measured on map my run as 5.54mile. Think we managed it in about 43/44minutes so Im happy with that as it is just under 8min/mile pace. Was a tough run this evening, reasons unknown. Always good to feel the burn though. Cool down was a 20min puck-around with the hurleys out on the pitches.
    Tuesday Jun 22nd - easy run down by the river with one of the girls. 3.6miles in 37:09, near pb for her. Glutes session then later. Hip so much the better for them.
    Wednesday Jun 23rd - Had to go to supermarket after college this evening. Then decided that I might as well try the bit of a hill on the golf links road. Have created a bit of a fear in my head of me and hills so I thought if I've any hope of doing Brian Boru I had better nip it in the bud. Found the cycle fine, and that bit of a hill was grand - so much worse in my head! So there might be hope for me yet! Getting the racer bike off the bro at the weekend so Im slowly getting there.
    Note to self: Marie, after dinner this evening you did NOT need that bowl of vanilla ice-cream with chocolate chips!!
    4|9.14|-|10.35|1

Wednesday Jun 23rd p.m.- Had to go to supermarket after college this evening. Then decided that I might as well try the bit of a hill on the golf links road. Have created a bit of a fear in my head of me and hills so I thought if I've any hope of doing Brian Boru I had better nip it in the bud. Found the cycle fine, and that bit of a hill was grand - so much worse in my head! So there might be hope for me yet! Getting the racer bike off the bro at the weekend so Im slowly getting there.
    Note to self: Marie, after dinner this evening you did NOT need that bowl of vanilla ice-cream with chocolate chips!!
    p.p.m.- Did glutes session before bed, but only reps of 10. Definitely feel these making an improvement already.
    4|9.14|-|11.6|2

tried the brother's second racer bike this morning.......its too high for me (saddle is as low as it will go) and too long for me. stretch to the handlebars is too much.

Am I naive fool to try brian boru with a mountain bike?

• Advertisement

Wednesday Jun 23rd p.m.- Had to go to supermarket after college this evening. Then decided that I might as well try the bit of a hill on the golf links road. Have created a bit of a fear in my head of me and hills so I thought if I've any hope of doing Brian Boru I had better nip it in the bud. Found the cycle fine, and that bit of a hill was grand - so much worse in my head! So there might be hope for me yet! Getting the racer bike off the bro at the weekend so Im slowly getting there.
    p.p.m.- Did glutes session before bed, but only reps of 10. Definitely feel these making an improvement already.
    Thursday Jun 24th - mainly rest, did half my gultes session.
    Friday Jun 25th - pool closed so I wasn't impressed as had planned uber long swim. Lovely evening, and hadn't ran since Tuesday so was getting itchy feet. Went out for my 4.6miler route around the block. Wanted to take it handy cos of Clare 10 the next morning. Weather was lovely, felt good so off I went. Went out a bit too fast, even got a stitch but other than that felt great. Took a further 17seconds off my pb, doing the 4.6miles in 35:45.
    Saturday Jun 26th - The Clare 10km! Wow hot morning for a run!! I started this race up the top but with a few children trying to run at the very top, and then stop and turning back, it slowed things down momentarily for people (bit of a safety hazard also!), and so my first km took 5min! Anyway off we went then. Route was lovely, plenty of water stations which were badly needed. Up until approx the 6/6.5km mark there was very little shelter from the sun and it was just energy sapping, not alot that could be done to ignore its effects. Was relatively happy with my pace, decided not to beat myself up about it until 7-8km where I pushed it on as much as I could. Came in at 48:59. Not a p.b. but such is life. Enjoyed the event, great crowd, great weather so can't complain too much.
    Sunday Jun 27th - lovely fresh early afternoon so down to the pitches in UL for a puck around for an hour. Felt quite stiff from the day before. Pulled/did something to a muscle in my neck/shoulder while playing hurling. Still very very sore.

happy enough with the week. Shame no pb at Clare 10km but got a pb the evening before so all is not lost. Lost 1lb this week also so Im happy with that!
    4|20.14|-|16.6|2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good running and interesting log. I think you may be running a little too hard on your training runs, a lot of your training runs seem to be close to race pace. You look to be capable of 45-46 mins for 10k. Nothing wrong with PB's on training courses but not the day before a race. Best of luck.

Thanks Brianderunner.

Slowly knocking down my training times, but funnily enough in the last 3 10km's that hasn't translated to faster 10km's. Find it hard to take it handy on the training runs sometimes, and you're right, they do all seem to be at race pace. I tried the track sessions to improve my speed, but didnt enjoy them at all, on 400m's I have no speed. Any suggestions on how perhaps to bring down my time? And yes, running like that the evening before the run was silly, but was v.cranky as hadn't ran since tuesday....:rolleyes:

A few minutes after your easier runs (if you have any:D), Do 4-6 x 100m strides with a walkback racovery, the pitches in UL are perfect for this. About 90% all out sprinting pace, gradually accelerate to 30m and hold the speed until 85-90m before easing off off the last 10-15m. They are great for building speed. I once made the trinity 4 x 200m team doing nothing but strides after runs.

excellent thanks for that! Will definitely give it a try!

• Advertisement

1|22.4|1.6|12.5|2
    2|18.4|1|7.5|4
    3|17.8|1.5 approx|10|4
    4|20.14|-|16.6|2

Monday Jun 28th - p.m.1km swim in the pool this evening. Was curious to see how long it would take me to do a length (50m), 750m and 1km. 1length took me 1:18, was happy to do 750m in 20:44 and the 1km in 28ish min. All in all, confident that I wouldn't be kicked out of the lake if I do Brian Boru.
    p.p.m - Glutes session.
    5|-|1||1

Monday Jun 28th - p.m.1km swim in the pool this evening. Was curious to see how long it would take me to do a length (50m), 750m and 1km. 1length took me 1:18, was happy to do 750m in 20:44 and the 1km in 28ish min. All in all, confident that I wouldn't be kicked out of the lake if I do Brian Boru.
    p.p.m - Glutes session.
    Tuesday Jun 29th - run by the river with friend. 3.6miles in 34:48. Might not sound like much, but it was a p.b. for her by 2:17 so was thrilled for her.
    Wednesday Jun 30th - hoped to run today but mother of God the rain! spent the day in Clare doing housework and cutting the lawns so I got about a 6hr workout anyway! :rolleyes:
    psst: stole the brother's helmet which he's not using so thats another thing sourced for the triathlon ;)
    5|3.6|1|3.75|1

p.p.m - Glutes session.
    Tuesday Jun 29th - run by the river with friend. 3.6miles in 34:48. Might not sound like much, but it was a p.b. for her by 2:17 so was thrilled for her.
    Wednesday Jun 30th - hoped to run today but mother of God the rain! spent the day in Clare doing housework and cutting the lawns so I got about a 6hr workout anyway! :rolleyes:
    psst: stole the brother's helmet which he's not using so thats another thing sourced for the triathlon ;)
    Thursday July 1st- p.m. - 800m swim with 750m taking me approx 21min. happy with that, considering I got hungry while still in the pool.
    p.p.m. - feck all on telly so bit the bullet and went for a cycle! 15miles (7.5mile loop x 2), took me 70min. No idea how good/bad that is for a newbie but glad to know I can do the distance. Its the only way I will build my confidence. Wierd to be trying something new that Im starting from scratch with - no idea of technique, speeds, gears, "cadence" (which ye keep on about!) but I'll get there though.
    5|3.6|1.8|22.5|1

p.p.m - Glutes session.
    Thursday July 1st- p.m. - 800m swim with 750m taking me approx 21min. happy with that, considering I got hungry while still in the pool.
    p.p.m. - feck all on telly so bit the bullet and went for a cycle! 15miles (7.5mile loop x 2), took me 70min. No idea how good/bad that is for a newbie but glad to know I can do the distance. Its the only way I will build my confidence. Wierd to be trying something new that Im starting from scratch with - no idea of technique, speeds, gears, "cadence" (which ye keep on about!) but I'll get there though.
    Friday July 2nd - does a boogie-boogie on the dancefloor count as exercise? :rolleyes:
    Saturday July 3rd - family occasion in Clare so a day off.
    Sunday July 4th - 40min run in cratloe woods. Up and down lots of hills - long ones, short ones. Really felt this so it was great. 25min puck-around afterwards.

In general, quite happy with the week. Good to get some more miles in on the bike. Im now 9st5lbs approx so Im happy with that also. Feeling quite good. Need to get more consistent with conditioning/strengthening though.
    5|8approx|1.8|27.5|1

Monday July 5th - 3.8mile run down by the river @ 8min/mile pace. Aerobically I felt fine, but was still tight after the hills session the night before. Plus had spent Monday walking the greens of adare manor! How bad I guess? ;)
    Tuesday July 6th - Core session, followed by glutes session. Had been doing one or two of these incorrectly so it was good/frikkin sore to do them the correct way!
    6|3.8|-|1.25|2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi MarieC, good stuff there on the training. Lots of strength training going on. Hey Brian Boru is just a few weeks away would it be an idea to swap one of them for an extra swim? BTW I have a bike for the Tri sorted for you and should collect it this weekend.

Monday July 5th - 3.8mile run down by the river @ 8min/mile pace. Aerobically I felt fine, but was still tight after the hills session the night before. Plus had spent Monday walking the greens of adare manor! How bad I guess? ;)
    Tuesday July 6th - Core session, followed by glutes session. Had been doing one or two of these incorrectly so it was good/frikkin sore to do them the correct way!
    Wednesday July 7th - 1km swim in about 30min, with 750m taking me just under 21min. Got a wierd pain by my collar bone but went after a length or two.....
    6|3.8|1|3.75|2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Im very jealous of your swimming. Go away please!!

Wednesday July 7th - 1km swim in about 30min, with 750m taking me just under 21min. Got a wierd pain by my collar bone but went after a length or two.....
    Thursday July 8th - 800m swim, with 750m taking 21:14. Felt good.
    Friday July 9th - rest
    Saturday July10th - 3.3mile (approx) run in the bucketing rain. Was a nice handy run before heading off to Oxegen. :cool:
    Sunday July 11th - rest rest rest

Not the most amazing week training wise but still feel relatively fit.
    6|7.1|1.8|3.75|2

• Advertisement

weight is stable at 9st 6lbs - happy enough with that.

Monday July 12th - 3.6mile run down by the river @ just under 8min/mile pace. The b.f. really made me push it for the last 200meters and it was great to have to do that. Did 100m x 6 lengths sprinting afterwards, followed by 25min of a puck around. Did Core and Glutes work outs before bed then. The core ones are killers, but thats what its all about yeah?
    7|3.97|-|-|2

Monday July 12th - 3.6mile run down by the river @ just under 8min/mile pace. The b.f. really made me push it for the last 200meters and it was great to have to do that. Did 100m x 6 lengths sprinting afterwards, followed by 25min of a puck around. Did Core and Glutes work outs before bed then. The core ones are killers, but thats what its all about yeah?
    Tuesday July 13th - unplanned rest day. I was poofed!
    Wednesday July 14th - 4.6 mile loop in 36:20 which is 7.9min/mile pace. Was trying to take it handy but Im really not good at that.
    7|8.57|-|3.75|2

Do you have a garmin or heart rate monitor, they can really help you regulate your efforts so you're not overdoing it. Good to see your doing the strides, i know they're a bit of a pain but they're worth it.

Nope dont have garmin or hrm. I knew I wasn't taking it handy cos I got a stitich at one stage. Just dont feel like its a workout if Im not pushing it...

I actually quite enjoyed the strides. They are short enough that they are bearable. Bit of variety is always good anyway!

Wednesday July 14th - 4.6 mile loop in 36:20 which is 7.9min/mile pace. Was trying to take it handy but Im really not good at that.
    Thursday July 15th - wanted to go for a swim but was too hungry. Wanted to go for a run but there was torrential rain. Did glutes and core workouts instead.
    7|8.57|-|5|4

Thursday July 15th - wanted to go for a swim but was too hungry. Wanted to go for a run but there was torrential rain. Did glutes and core workouts instead.
    Friday July 16th - 4mile run @ 8min/mile pace. Felt slowish, and a bit tight. 20min puck around after.
    Saturday July 17th - 3.5mile run down by the river in 27:22. The bf really pushes me on this run, Id curse/kill him during it if I had the energy. Great all the same though!:P Did the 6 x 100m sprints after. Really enjoyed these and working on getting my time down. First one took me 22sec approx, last one was 19.31. 30min puck around then after that.
    Sunday July 18th - rest

Ok so no swimming this week, and not alot of cycling, but Im happy enough that fitness hasn't petered off. Not gonna put pressure on myself re. training at the moment, just enjoy it when I do it.
    7|15.7|-|5|4

weight is 9st 5lbs -definitely happy with this, its going in the right direction.

Monday July 19th - 3.5mile handy run down by the river. Didn't push it too much which was nice for a change. Still did it in 28:30. 30minute puck around also.
    8|3.5|-|2.5|-

weight is 9st 5lbs -definitely happy with this, its going in the right direction.

Monday July 19th - 3.5mile handy run down by the river. Didn't push it too much which was nice for a change. Still did it in 28:30. 30minute puck around also.
    Tuesday July 20th - same run again down by the river. Momentum didnt feel great but still did it under 28min I think (forgot to stop the watch when I stopped!). 20min puck around then.
    8|7|-|6.25|-

Tuesday July 20th - same run again down by the river. Momentum didnt feel great but still did it under 28min I think (forgot to stop the watch when I stopped!). 20min puck around then.
    Wednesday July 21st - an evening of will I/wont I for about 2hrs, then I eventually got off the couch and went out for my 4.6mile block. Felt a little heavy and slow for the first half, but didnt pressure myself, just tried to do things right. felt a bit of a niggle in my glute that I worry will eventually need the physio....anyway, was feeling good, feeling strong. When i turned on to the golf links road, usually I take it handy enough, but after the last few runs with the bf shouting/enthusing me up anything resembling a hill, I decided to give it socks. Luckily when I got to the top of the hill, I kept the pressure on and tore towards home. Was feeling great and had a fantastic chune playing (Florence and the Machine singing about running faster ;)). Kept the pressure on until I reached my door. Was delighted to see 35:17 on the clock, which was a full 30sec off my pb for this route. I think a combination of the sprints, and the running with the bf have resulted in this. Happy days.
    8|11.6|-|8.75|-

• Advertisement

Wednesday July 21st - an evening of will I/wont I for about 2hrs, then I eventually got off the couch and went out for my 4.6mile block. Felt a little heavy and slow for the first half, but didnt pressure myself, just tried to do things right. felt a bit of a niggle in my glute that I worry will eventually need the physio....anyway, was feeling good, feeling strong. When i turned on to the golf links road, usually I take it handy enough, but after the last few runs with the bf shouting/enthusing me up anything resembling a hill, I decided to give it socks. Luckily when I got to the top of the hill, I kept the pressure on and tore towards home. Was feeling great and had a fantastic chune playing (Florence and the Machine singing about running faster ;)). Kept the pressure on until I reached my door. Was delighted to see 35:17 on the clock, which was a full 30sec off my pb for this route. I think a combination of the sprints, and the running with the bf have resulted in this. Happy days.
    Thursday July 21st - Back in the pool finally! Felt a little rusty for the first few lengths but then I got to a lovely zen place and just swam and swam. 1.3km in about 40min. Met MCOS then for to collect the racer so that will be next challenge now!
    8|11.6|1.3|10|-

Advertisement