Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priest shot in Askeaton, Co. Limerick in 1949

• 08-06-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a priest shot in Askeaton, Co. Limerick, I believe around 1949 or how could I find out about it online?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not sure if this will be much help to you but here is a list of the only men to be parish priests in Askeaton during the 1940's.

Michael O’Carroll was parish priest and then Canon there between 1929 and 1942

William J. Carroll was parish priest there between 1944 and 1948.

Michael Ryan was parish priest and then Canon there between 1949 and 1976.

There is no parish priest listed for Askeaton for the year 1943 but there is a curate listed for that year called John McCarthy so maybe the priest who left in 1942 was the one you are thinking about.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It definitely happened anyways as I remember my Grandfather telling me about it years ago but the details are sketchy in my mind now. I'm working around the country all this week but I might be calling to him next weekend and could find out more information for you.

My mother is originally from near Foynes, so can ask her later this evening as she is meant to be dropping by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Rev Patrick Casey 1946.

Just found it on the Irish Times Archive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks guys. That was great info. If ye could find out more from the horses mouth it would be great. I only found out about this story when visiting my uncle in Birmingham 2 weeks ago and just remembered to llok it up. I wonder what the story was with the shooter? Not too often you hear a priest getting shot? I suppose back in those days it would have been taboo to talk about it. All the blinds were shut in houses shur.

I think I would have known that doctor's son and the son's daughter who still practices in Askeaton. Must look up more about Joseph Cullinan.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

More attachments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

makes you wonder what drove him to do it alright

Good luck with your hunt for the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    makes you wonder what drove him to do it alright

Good luck with your hunt for the truth

So he killed the priest and the woman?

not sure if he killed the woman or what. wonder did the priest "interfere" with her?

Asked the mother about it, and she has a vague recollection of the story. Seems it was very hush hush in terms of details. Seems the church closed ranks on it very quickly.

• Advertisement

she didn't say anymore? did he kill that woman as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Asked the mother about it, and she has a vague recollection of the story. Seems it was very hush hush in terms of details. Seems the church closed ranks on it very quickly.

The church trying to hide the truth?!

Thats hard to believe:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Key123

Anyone know of a priest shot in Askeaton, Co. Limerick, I believe around 1949 or how could I find out about it online?

Have just been told the basics of this story. Did you get to the end of this story? Was there a court case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Key123 wrote: »
    Have just been told the basics of this story. Did you get to the end of this story? Was there a court case?

Seems he had mental problems.
    http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/ll%2001%2007%201946%20casey.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not sure if this will be much help to you but here is a list of the only men to be parish priests in Askeaton during the 1940's.

Michael O’Carroll was parish priest and then Canon there between 1929 and 1942

William J. Carroll was parish priest there between 1944 and 1948.

Michael Ryan was parish priest and then Canon there between 1949 and 1976.

There is no parish priest listed for Askeaton for the year 1943 but there is a curate listed for that year called John McCarthy so maybe the priest who left in 1942 was the one you are thinking about.

Hope this is of some help.

Those were all Glin parish priests not Askeaton parish. The Askeaton ones are listed on their parish website
    http://www.askeatonballysteen.ie/parish-history

Advertisement