Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 bed council houses (housing lists)

Options
  • 08-06-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

hey everyone,

i'm just wondering is anyone on the fingal 4 bed housing list and have you been on it as long as i have(2 years). how fast or slow do you think its moving for you, and have you identified any 4 bed stock in your area which is supposed to be allocated???. maybe we could help everyone out here on any housing lists by throwing in some ideas to try move these lists on.....either way thanks for your time.

Elzer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Elzer wrote: »
    i'm just wondering is anyone on the fingal 4 bed housing list and have you been on it as long as i have(2 years).

Sorry but you're in for a nasty surprise if you think two years is a long wait on the fingal housing list, or any Dublin housing list for that matter. A friend of mine was recently housed after an eleven year wait on the fingal list. She moved in next door to a woman who had been waiting fourteen years. It is almost unheard of that anyone would be housed before a wait of seven to eight years and anyone housed that quickly would be considered very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

hey everyone,

i'm just wondering is anyone on the fingal 4 bed housing list and have you been on it as long as i have(2 years). how fast or slow do you think its moving for you, and have you identified any 4 bed stock in your area which is supposed to be allocated???. maybe we could help everyone out here on any housing lists by throwing in some ideas to try move these lists on.....either way thanks for your time.

Elzer.

Yup. We had saved a deposit and bought by the time our offer came. Good thing we chose to fend for ourselves rather than the welfare system to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

Hey All,

I just want to point out that I am living in a 650 sq ft house with 5 kids and my partner which is already a Social housing property.....

Please no offensive comments about my contraceptive choice's........

I had two children from a relationship before i met my current partner and had three children in quick succession for him. I accepted my property as it did suit my needs at the time of allocation, but now it does not, to say the least.

A girl on the same street as me got re-housed with-in a month of getting a TD involved and now has her house (Last Month and she asked me for the number for the TD). What i am asking is, is there or do you know of houses that are out there that are empty and of a larger size to mine, that as yet have not been allocated?????

I am Number 13 on the list for a 4 bed house i just want to know if there are any others who are in the same predicament as my family and I, please contact me and tell me your stories....... I need to vent and need others with the same problem to chat to.........

My partner is currently doing a degree course, unfortunatly he fell victim to the recession and cuts. So we are trying to educate our way out of this situation. But we are not in a position to save and buy a house as yet........... Ex:mad::o

I have to say I am stunned that anyone who was already raising two children in a 650 sf house would go on to have another three children in rapid succession. That is just the absolute height of irresponsibility.
    A girl on the same street as me got re-housed with-in a month of getting a TD involved and now has her house
    How long was she waiting before the TD got involved? It may have been many years and I'd be very surprised if it wasn’t.
    What i am asking is, is there or do you know of houses that are out there that are empty and of a larger size to mine, that as yet have not been allocated?????
    I don't know and it doesn’t matter if there are or not. Fingal co co will allocate you a house when they're good and ready, which will most likely be a long way from now. To be honest if you don't like the sound of that it's a case of tough luck. You should have thought of that before you had a hoard of kids when you'd nowhere to put them. One child I could understand, but five?????
    I am Number 13 on the list for a 4 bed house i just want to know if there are any others who are in the same predicament as my family and I, please contact me and tell me your stories....... I need to vent and need others with the same problem to chat to.........
    What gives you the right to vent about a problem you deliberately created for yourself? It's just a pity you created the problem for the poor kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Feck's sake, let's not let this descend into 'keep yer legs closed' crap, eh?
    The OP wants information on others' experiences in her situation, not criticism of it.

Re: the person that got the TD involved, if that worked there's no reason not to try it yourself OP, though it really shouldn't work in a proper democracy. In the short term I can't see anything changing, so give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP you may as well use the system as you can't change it.
    If the local councillor or TD can pull something for you then do it.

You're in a unique situation being in Fingal, Minister for Housing Noel Ahern represents Dublin North West.

Ideally we would have a fair list system based on needs and we probably already have this.
    But if you can get an advantage do it.

I have to say I am stunned that anyone who was already raising two children in a 650 sf house would go on to have another three children in rapid succession. That is just the absolute height of irresponsibility.

How long was she waiting before the TD got involved? It may have been many years and I'd be very surprised if it wasn’t.

I don't know and it doesn’t matter if there are or not. Fingal co co will allocate you a house when they're good and ready, which will most likely be a long way from now. To be honest if you don't like the sound of that it's a case of tough luck. You should have thought of that before you had a hoard of kids when you'd nowhere to put them. One child I could understand, but five?????

What gives you the right to vent about a problem you deliberately created for yourself? It's just a pity you created the problem for the poor kids too.

Elle Collins......

My pro life believes are mine and if you so choose you can abort or create at YOUR own leasure, Like i said i had my reasons and this is not a post for you to tell me how many children i can or cant have so feel free to leave at any stage.......

There is a fundamental problem when people like you DICTATE to people like myself........ We dont live in China..........
    I have five kids get over it.....

I am in need of housing and that girl got a responce with-in a week..... so don't rant at me beacuse you think you can tell me what to do or any other multible mother.......

This is a housing issue not a pregnancy thread.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Elle Collins......

My pro life believes are mine and if you so choose you can abort or create at YOUR own leasure, Like i said i had my reasons and this is not a post for you to tell me how many children i can or cant have so feel free to leave at any stage.......

There is a fundamental problem when people like you DICTATE to people like myself........ We dont live in China..........

I am in need of housing and that girl got a responce with-in a week..... so don't rant at me beacuse you think you can tell me what to do or any other multible mother.......

I think you should probably ignore them rather than argue the point.

FWIW I pretty much agree with Elle's point if not the manner of putting it across, but this really isn't the time or the place for it.

We as a society have decided that a framework should be in place that allows people to get free or cheap houses just because they have kids and don't work. I question the logic there and definitely the implementation, but I certainly don't think it's right to have a go at you personally because you asked a question about how your own situation fits into that.

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I think you should probably ignore them rather than argue the point.

FWIW I pretty much agree with Elle's point if not the manner of putting it across, but this really isn't the time or the place for it.

We as a society have decided that a framework should be in place that allows people to get free or cheap houses just because they have kids and don't work. I question the logic there and definitely the implementation, but I certainly don't think it's right to have a go at you personally because you asked a question about how your own situation fits into that.

If elle had actually read all of my post and not just quoted on the negative i would of heard her out......
    I did say both my partner and i worked until i had the last 3 kids, i gave up to mind them and he subsequently lost his job to the recession......
    We are not spongers just trying to sort out a very bad situation..... My partner is educating himself into a better job but this also takes time.......

I just want people who are in our position to post so i can hear their stories and how they got their houses or not as the case may be...... and if people know of housing that is boarded up and not yet allocated.....

I dont need people telling me i should never of had my kids.........:mad::o

Firstly Elzer I have never advocated abortion to you or any woman; I have strong pro-life views myself.
    I just want people who are in our position to post so i can hear their stories and how they got their houses or not as the case may be......

People get their houses from Fingal co co in a much fairer manner than they are allocated by some other councils, Dublin city council, for example. With DCC houses are allocated based on medical certificates, current housing conditions, and every other excuse you can think of. With Fingal co co houses are allocated based on one premise only, and that is the date the applicant first applied for housing. In this way applicants on the Fingal list have no choice but to wait their turn.

You'd almost certainly be better off putting your name on the DCC list, as you would be 99% certain to be housed quicker on their list than with Fingal co council. This is the case because the amount of people living in so small a space would be taken into consideration by DCC, while it will not be considered by Fingal co council.

Very few four bed houses are built by any council, therefore you can expect a long wait no matter what list you're on, but again you would be housed considerably more quickly by Dublin City Council because of your particular circumstances, even by putting your name down at this stage while you are already two years on the Fingal list.

I have to say I hadn't intended to insult you but I am just really galled by certain things about this thread, including that fact that everyone else on these lists is expected to wait years stretching into double digits, while others are jumping up and down wanting to know 'where's my house?' after just two years.

• Advertisement

Firstly Elzer I have never advocated abortion to you or any woman; I have strong pro-life views myself.

People get their houses from Fingal co co in a much fairer manner than they are allocated by some other councils, Dublin city council, for example. With DCC houses are allocated based on medical certificates, current housing conditions, and every other excuse you can think of. With Fingal co co houses are allocated based on one premise only, and that is the date the applicant first applied for housing. In this way applicants on the Fingal list have no choice but to wait their turn.

You'd almost certainly be better off putting your name on the DCC list, as you would be 99% certain to be housed quicker on their list than with Fingal co council. This is the case because the amount of people living in so small a space would be taken into consideration by DCC, while it will not be considered by Fingal co council.

Very few four bed houses are built by any council, therefore you can expect a long wait no matter what list you're on, but again you would be housed considerably more quickly by Dublin City Council because of your particular circumstances, even by putting your name down at this stage while you are already two years on the Fingal list.

I have to say I hadn't intended to insult you but I am just really galled by certain things about this thread, including that fact that everyone else on these lists is expected to wait years stretching into double digits, while others are jumping up and down wanting to know 'where's my house?' after just two years.

Elle Collins

Firstly I am not jumping up and down like a two yr old throwing a tantrum here, Please stop mis-quoting me.

Your taking the whole idea of this out of context.. This is to get information and ask how this Very bad Situation can be sorted out....
    And maybe Fingal should look at how housing is allocated from other councils.....
    I asked to go on other council lists and guess what they dont allow it. You are considered to be housed so will not be able to go on another council list unless its for a job or closer to a sick relative.

We are not trying to jump lists either we just want informed true to life real experiances of others who have been or are in our position....

like our information when a child was added to our transfer info, decreases our actual date of going on the list also as i was 11th on the list and am now 13???? how can the list be jumped if it was a fairer way of allocation????? There are some very strange ideas that you have that Fingal is holier than thou with Allocation lists maybe you should check information before you slate me.......

Although you seem to be very well informed about Fingal Co Councils procedures would this indicate you are part of the allocations team???????? Or are you just bitter that you bought a house before you were allocated one??? Or where you just being too fussy as to where you wanted to be housed????
    Like i said Stop miss Quoting me Put your friend in touch with me as to it took her so long to be housed? 11 and 14yr waits are unheard of with most people.
    I have done some research and most tenants on my estate were only on the waiting list for 3yrs.....
    People in the same situation would have a better view than yourself i think and being delibratly malicious to me is not helping......

Elle Collins

Firstly I am not jumping up and down like a two yr old throwing a tantrum here, Please stop mis-quoting me.

Your taking the whole idea of this out of context.. This is to get information and ask how this Very bad Situation can be sorted out....
    And maybe Fingal should look at how housing is allocated from other councils.....
    I asked to go on other council lists and guess what they dont allow it. You are considered to be housed so will not be able to go on another council list unless its for a job or closer to a sick relative.

We are not trying to jump lists either we just want informed true to life real experiances of others who have been or are in our position....

like our information when a child was added to our transfer info, decreases our actual date of going on the list also as i was 11th on the list and am now 13???? how can the list be jumped if it was a fairer way of allocation????? There are some very strange ideas that you have that Fingal is holier than thou with Allocation lists maybe you should check information before you slate me.......

Although you seem to be very well informed about Fingal Co Councils procedures would this indicate you are part of the allocations team???????? Or are you just bitter that you bought a house before you were allocated one??? Or where you just being too fussy as to where you wanted to be housed????
    Like i said Stop miss Quoting me Put your friend in touch with me as to it took her so long to be housed? 11 and 14yr waits are unheard of with most people.
    I have done some research and most tenants on my estate were only on the waiting list for 3yrs.....
    People in the same situation would have a better view than yourself i think and being delibratly malicious to me is not helping......

Sorry just spoke to a girl who was on the list for 5 n half years but she was holding out for a specific area.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 a face in the crowd

Quick message to all here. Some of you offer informed advice there, while others are picking off personal matters. i'm on the waiting list 2 years myself:confused: and i'd just like to know a bit more about the issues of waiting on the list and if anyone could post good advice to help me along too...i agree with the op that this could be an informative thread for people

thanks,

a face in the crowd.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Elle Collins......

In fairness what do you expect. Elle didnt mention abortion, but pointed out your irresponsibility, spin it anyway you want but your irresponsibility has led to the situation you find yourself in.

Nobody is saying you cant have as many kids as you like but you should ensure your in a position to provide appropriatly for them, if you cant its irresponsible end of story.

Your responsible for the situation you find yourself in the same way somebody deep in negative equity who cannot pay their mortgage is responsible for the situation they find themselves in. When people begin to take responsibility for thier actions rather than complainng about not being bailed out this in this country might move forward.

as for the housing list wait, it is what it is, you cant find out how to speed it up on here you have to follow due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You're in a unique situation being in Fingal, Minister for Housing Noel Ahern represents Dublin North West.

Michael Finneran is said Minister now.

D3PO wrote: »
    In fairness what do you expect. Elle didnt mention abortion, but pointed out your irresponsibility, spin it anyway you want but your irresponsibility has led to the situation you find yourself in.

Nobody is saying you cant have as many kids as you like but you should ensure your in a position to provide appropriatly for them, if you cant its irresponsible end of story.

Your responsible for the situation you find yourself in the same way somebody deep in negative equity who cannot pay their mortgage is responsible for the situation they find themselves in. When people begin to take responsibility for thier actions rather than complainng about not being bailed out this in this country might move forward.

as for the housing list wait, it is what it is, you cant find out how to speed it up on here you have to follow due process.

Yet again another person deviating from the question asked.....

Are you in need of 4 bed housing????? if not please refrain from commenting on how many kids i have..... Its a housing issue not a baby or cercumstances issue open another thread to bitch on such matters.......

Michael Finneran is said Minister now.

Could you let me know how the minister of housing can help and if so how do you contact him??? Not like contacting a TD im sure......lol:D:rolleyes:

Yet again another person deviating from the question asked.....

Are you in need of 4 bed housing????? if not please refrain from commenting on how many kids i have..... Its a housing issue not a baby or cercumstances issue open another thread to bitch on such matters.......

Sorry I can't help with info but fair dues to your fella for going back to studies whilst out of work - a brave step by him.

I hope things work out for you.

Could you let me know how the minister of housing can help and if so how do you contact him??? Not like contacting a TD im sure......lol:D:rolleyes:

In reality he probably can't really as he'll tell you it's a matter for the Local Authority.

However, ring the Dept of the Environment on 888 2000 and ask to be put through to his office and explain your situation to whomever answers the phone and ask them is there anything they can do to help.

Otherwise e-mail him or write to him

www.environ.ie

... Its a housing issue not a baby or cercumstances issue .......

actually it is infact a baby or circumstance issue. You said yourself your accomadation was appropraite to your circumstances at the time. Your actions changed your circumstances therefore it is a circumstance / baby issue.

im not bitching, im just pointing out you need to remove the woe is me attitude you have.

• Advertisement

Sorry I can't help with info but fair dues to your fella for going back to studies whilst out of work - a brave step by him.

so do I, despite the OP thinking im bitching / trolling

i think the OP was just after this part mate.alot of people do things in life that they cant turn the clock back on. my undersanding of this thread is that the op is looking for information on an issue. you have absolutely no right to slap her on the hand and tell her shes irresponsible about having children. you are changing the thread into something else that is irrelevant to the issue.

i think you should look for another thread to go play with your moral compass on, and that applies to anyone else whos on here to happy slap......how rude!!!!!!!!!

Thanks we are trying to move forward and we need help with that but we should not be slated when we are not out to render the tax payers poor.... I just want people in need of 4 bed housing to post here...........:o

D3PO wrote: »
    actually it is infact a baby or circumstance issue. You said yourself your accomadation was appropraite to your circumstances at the time. Your actions changed your circumstances therefore it is a circumstance / baby issue.

im not bitching, im just pointing out you need to remove the woe is me attitude you have.

Where in here did you see a quote from me that mentioned i was in woe of anything??????
    You are bitching and that IS for another forum.
    Ill ask again are you in need of 4 Bed social housing?
    Do you know of any vacant social properties that you can tell me and others about?
    Did You or are you awainting a 4 bed house on the housing list?

All relavant questions i have asked and yes i may of said ive been waiting 2 yrs but i was only asking for others who HAVE been or ARE waiting on 4 bed housing opinions not your "i should never of had more kids" attitude.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Elle Collins......

its not a housing issue , its a handout issue , the people who are PAYING for your family and fun should be entitled to critise if they so wish !

i think the OP was just after this part mate.alot of people do things in life that they cant turn the clock back on. my undersanding of this thread is that the op is looking for information on an issue. you have absolutely no right to slap her on the hand and tell her shes irresponsible about having children. you are changing the thread into something else that is irrelevant to the issue.

i think you should look for another thread to go play with your moral compass on, and that applies to anyone else whos on here to happy slap......how rude!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

im not slapping anybody on the hand, but I do have every right to provide my opinion in this thread. Not everybody will agree thats why its called an opinion and not a fact ....

and your missing the point here what im commenting on is not changing the thread and is not irrelevent to the issue, its very much relevent.

The issue is the frustration the OP has with the housing process. The frustration is borne out of the OP's prediciment, whilst looking for away to move from the predicement shes in.

My point is the OP has to me portrayed the attitude that 2 years is too long for a resolution of their issue, its very much skewed to the degree that they are putting the blame on the councils housing process.

Whilst this is clearly one component of the issue the fact is the OP has also to bear some responsibility as to the predicement they are in, and rather than trying to shoehorn the process to fit their needs and look for ways to circumvent due process.

After the OP became pregnant with child 3 what conversations did the OP have with their local housing department in relation to the circumstance? If they are only on the list 2 years that indicates they had none.

This bears the question why not ? if the OP had they would be further up the list.

As for my moral compass it works fine thanks no need to play with it, my opinion is that I believe its not responsible to have 5 children when you do not have suitable accomadation for them.

In the context of their position and the fact councils housing budgets aswell as everything else are being cut to manage the economy the context of their position must be understood.

danbohan wrote: »
    its not a housing issue , its a handout issue , the people who are PAYING for your family and fun should be entitled to critise if they so wish !

yeah well i paid my way for 11 years, to fall victim to the recession and since i've never claimed welfare since a school leaver and paid my taxes i thought i might be entitiled to a handout mate, actually id be fecked without it as i've lots of bills to pay.

again its easy to critise from the otherside mate......maybe should start a glorified tax payers thread to air your point on it and leave the OP be....

she not even talking about social welfare issues????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I have to say I am stunned that anyone who was already raising two children in a 650 sf house would go on to have another three children in rapid succession. That is just the absolute height of irresponsibility...........

Wow! yea OP, how very dare you have 5 children when you are obviously not well off. Needless to day they are obviously not loved as much as happy middle class children, nor will then contribute to society in any formative way...

In addition what gives you the right to think that you can avail of legitimate social services that we, as a democracy, have decided are appropriate....

In addition I for one am shocked that you have internet access or that your other half is allowed into college, down with that sort of thing
    :rolleyes:

Ill ask again are you in need of 4 Bed social housing?

No because if I was for example in a 2 bed social housing Id ensure I was responsible enough not to have children that would require me to have a need for a 4 bed

Do you know of any vacant social properties that you can tell me and others about?

Back to my first post. The system is what it is. You cannot expect somebody on here to go yes this house is free and expect magically that from #14 on the list you will get this house. Do you believe the council are dragging their feet on purpose with empty houses around the place .....

Did You or are you awainting a 4 bed house on the housing list?

No Im not, but if I was I would be happy that the state is helping me rather than bemoaning the amount of time they spend dealing with cases

dont have a go at me for having an opinion.

• Advertisement

danbohan wrote: »

Are you in need of a 4 bed house?
    If not please refrain from bitching on this post the questions are VERY clear at the top of this thread and i will start to report abuse........
    Im not having fun on handouts or anyones money and hardly in a position to even get out with 3 kids under 3 so dont post comments like you know me......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement