Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lourdes Hospital Misdiagnosed Miscarriage???

Options
  • 08-06-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

After hearing about the misdiagnosed miscariage in the Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda I am distraught. I had a Miscarriage diagnosed there one month after the woman in the Indo today and I was really pushed into having a d and c.

I wanted to go home and wait and be sure but they said based on the machine (which they knew at the time was not working!!!) they were 100% sure and if I went home I risked serious complications.

I don`t know what to do. I `ve requested my files. The HSE don`t plan on doing an investigation. Any suggestions?

Is there anyone in the same situation? Please contact me.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hospital-wrongly-told-mum-baby-was-dead-in-womb-2211016.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Mods if you feel this doesn`t belong here please move it I wasn`t sure where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I would recommend you get your files & bring them to your GP, see if s/he can advise you further.
    I'm so sorry for your loss x

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sorry for your loss. I hope you find closure XX

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There were serious questions raised in our house over this too. It was nearly a week before the d and c for us though (in the Rotunda) so I'm not sure why they were pushing you not to go home.

I think caprilicious is right though. Get the files and bring them to your GP (or another hospital) for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm sorry for your loss OP x

I have to admit until this story broke if I'd have been told I'd miscarried I'd have believed them and done what I was told without questioning it. It would never have dawned on me to challenge what I was being told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 belle1

how do you make a complaint about a misdiagnosis? I had one and the baby is now here and healthy but only because I insisted on seeing a consultant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You write to the medical board of the hospital and the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

My friend had a miscarriage two days ago and they refused to give her a scan because of all the scandal surrounding it! They said they were in a meeting about it and were told not to scan anyone!
    They did urine and blood tests and she has to go back today to have blood taken again to confirm if the hormone levels have reduced - therefore confirming the miscarriage.

Worst of all - CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? They said to her "Try not to worry, it could have been twins!" When she asked why they thought that they just responded with "well, sometimes it can be and maybe you've just lost one!".
    They are obviously saying this in case they have "misdiagnosed" the miscarriage and this covers their arses if she comes back in a week and says she thinks she is still pregnant!!
    There is absolutely no reason for anyone to think it was twins and she is now distraught over this as she has no idea of what's happening in her body! How can they be so bloody insensitive!
    Aaaarrrggghhh!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Op sorry to hear about the terrible trama you went through.Hopefully they will release your files and you may get the closure you require.. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bubbaloo wrote: »
    My friend had a miscarriage two days ago and they refused to give her a scan because of all the scandal surrounding it! They said they were in a meeting about it and were told not to scan anyone!
    They did urine and blood tests and she has to go back today to have blood taken again to confirm if the hormone levels have reduced - therefore confirming the miscarriage.

Worst of all - CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? They said to her "Try not to worry, it could have been twins!" When she asked why they thought that they just responded with "well, sometimes it can be and maybe you've just lost one!".
    They are obviously saying this in case they have "misdiagnosed" the miscarriage and this covers their arses if she comes back in a week and says she thinks she is still pregnant!!
    There is absolutely no reason for anyone to think it was twins and she is now distraught over this as she has no idea of what's happening in her body! How can they be so bloody insensitive!
    Aaaarrrggghhh!! :mad::mad::mad:

JESUS CHRIST!

Which hospital was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Khannie wrote: »
    JESUS CHRIST!

Which hospital was that?

It was UCHG in Galway. They only confirmed yesterday (4 days after she first went in to them) that she had miscarried. She is so angry at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With the huge question mark over the scans they have to do it the other way which is to chech the hormoane level and then send you home and check the levels a few days later.
    It is the only way to be completely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

bubbaloo wrote: »
    It was UCHG in Galway. They only confirmed yesterday (4 days after she first went in to them) that she had miscarried. She is so angry at them!

How far along was/is she? I know it's not a lot of comfort but a lot of doctors and midwives in the UK recommend natural miscarriages if it's before 10/12 weeks as if it happens correctly it is much easier to recover from and avoids the inherent risks of surgery. When I had mine I was given the option but advised to do it without surgery. It lasted just under two weeks and I'd certainly prefer to do it that way again if I'm ever lose another. The process is horrible but also cathartic.

Advertisement