Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't signed a lease and want to get out of house.

Options
  • 08-06-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

I'm currently renting a room in a house, but the house is basically a nightmare and there is some dodgy stuff going on with people in the house.
    The landlord is a good enough guy and is currently living in the house,
    but I have basically decided that I want to get out asap.

I've only been living here for a week and with not having signed anything,
    am I well within my rights to not give any notice and move out immediately?
    I have already given a deposit of a months rent.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

why dont you use the Front door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Thank you, that was extremely helpful.

Please, keep those gems coming...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Thank you, that was extremely helpful.

Please, keep those gems coming...
    Your missing his subtlety... why dont you just leave.... leave a weeks rent and go...

I'm more worried about the months deposit that I have given to the landlord.
    Am I entitled to get that back before I leave?
    Having not signed anything?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Back door not an option?

All serriousness, Just Leave, make up some excuse and ask him to take the cost of putting the room on daft again out of the deposit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

Oh you poooooooor thing!! I had the same problem once upon a time!

You should always sign a contract whether its a cardboard box in the garden that your renting. Just so you know what your getting into before you hand over anything. But too late for that, so remember it in future.

You have three options!

1. Get the hell out of there and forget the money, consider it a learning experience and move on to somewhere else. You really need to research these places, call to the house a few times at different times unexpectedly! that way you will see what really goes on because they wont have time to sugar-coat the real living conditions!

2. Stay the month to get the value for your money! thats if you can stick it, if its going to be a mental strain then don't bother.

3. Judge the landlord, if you think he would refund you then ask him. Your not really tied down because you didnt sign anything. Was there a verbal agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Check out citizens information for living with your landlord

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/sharing-accommodation-with-your-landlord

Sadly you don't have many rights. I'd sit down and talk to your landlord, particularly if he's a decent guy, tell him what problems you have with the house share and explain that you want to move out. If he refuses to give you back your deposit you can bring him to the Small Claims Court. not much else you can do though.

Judge the landlord, if you think he would refund you then ask him. Your not really tied down because you didnt sign anything. Was there a verbal agreement?

The landlord is sound enough, but he did mention giving him a couple of weeks notice if I was going to move out.
    I just don't really care about the notice at this stage and just want to get out of dodge.

Thanks for your reply.

Much more helpful than the back door, front door comments....

The landlord is sound enough, but he did mention giving him a couple of weeks notice if I was going to move out.
    I just don't really care about the notice at this stage and just want to get out of dodge.

Thanks for your reply.

Much more helpful than the back door, front door comments....

well then just go, trust me your sanity is more valuble than the deposit! just use it as a learning experience

post back when you make a decision

GOOD LUCK!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You have no rights really so its up to the landlord. You could try asking the landlord and maybe say a friend of yours just moved in somewhere and ye want to share together. He might accept that and give you back the deposit but he doesnt have to.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    You have no rights really so its up to the landlord. You could try asking the landlord and maybe say a friend of yours just moved in somewhere and ye want to share together. He might accept that and give you back the deposit but he doesnt have to.

thats actually exactly what i said to get out of the dodgy place i was renting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 a face in the crowd

I'm currently renting a room in a house, but the house is basically a nightmare and there is some dodgy stuff going on with people in the house.
    The landlord is a good enough guy and is currently living in the house,
    but I have basically decided that I want to get out asap.

I've only been living here for a week and with not having signed anything,
    am I well within my rights to not give any notice and move out immediately?

Thanks.
    hey man i think you should say you've deciced to move in with a relative and say you'll pay him for the week but since you've signed no agreement the scales should be in your favour.......ask for the balance of your deposit if you paid it......... best of luck man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

there is some dodgy stuff going on with people in the house.

ELABORATE ffs..

If it's illegal then of course you can get out of it.

Does the landlord know? If not, he would appreciate I'm sure..

If he's complicit in the dodgy stuff then **** him, get the money off him or treathen him with the law..

Advertisement