Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASTRA 2 & ASTRA 1 from one Sky Zone 2 dish?

• 08-06-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I am located in Dublin and have a Sky zone 2 dish pointed at ASTRA 2 (28E) and was wondering if anyone had success getting ASTRA 1 (19E) on the same zone 2 dish using a second LNB?

If so, what type of bracket was used and which sat was the dish centred on?

My primary interest is the addition of German language FTA stations and I would prefer not to install a second or larger dish unless absolutely necessary.

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

afraid not, the sky dishes are too small for that type of setup. you'll need at least an 80cm size dish. should be lots of good threads around here about that type of setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

syboit wrote: »
    afraid not, the sky dishes are too small for that type of setup. you'll need at least an 80cm size dish. should be lots of good threads around here about that type of setup.

Sorry but i think your incorrect.........

Zone 1 Sky mini-dish will not work.
    Zone 2 Sky mini-dish will work.
    as u can see from pictures attached.....

dish2s8sh.jpg

PICT0332.jpg

img0002lb7.jpg

Have a look at this link........
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/page9.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oaklands

Thanks for the feedback guys....

easkey: My setup is the same dish as the last one of the 3 images you posted. Do you know the location of this dish - as I understand location may be important. (e.g. If this were in the south east of England it may not be an fair comparison to Dublin.)

Any other examples of this setup working (or not) on a sky zone 2 dish in or around Dublin or similar location would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

easkey wrote: »
    Sorry but i think your incorrect.........

Zone 1 Sky mini-dish will not work.
    Zone 2 Sky mini-dish will work.
    as u can see from pictures attached.....

guess you showed me :), I've never seen anyone use a sky dish for 2 lnbs like in that 3rd pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Hi,

I've made myself a version of the 3rd setup in Navan, using a cable tie to attach and a bit of trial + error to align, which needs occasional tweaking after a bit if heavy weather. Works fine

• Advertisement

clancger wrote: »
    Hi,

I've made myself a version of the 3rd setup in Navan, using a cable tie to attach and a bit of trial + error to align, which needs occasional tweaking after a bit if heavy weather. Works fine

clancger: Is the position of the second LNB (for 19E/ASTRA 1) in your setup similar to the 3rd pic above . (i.e. slightly to the right and below the main LNB with the dish centered on 28E/ASTRA 2) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

oaklands wrote: »
    clancger: Is the position of the second LNB (for 19E/ASTRA 1) in your setup similar to the 3rd pic above . (i.e. slightly to the right and below the main LNB with the dish centered on 28E/ASTRA 2) ?

Id be also interested in this set up, if you could give us more details Clancger.

It started off most as what was probably the most unscientific setup in the world. I was curious if it was possible and hooked up a cable to an lnb, with a telly and receiver at the bottom of the ladder so I could use the signal meter in the receiver as a positioner.
    When I found I could pick up 19.2 this way, I initially used sellotape to hold on the 2nd lnb, and that held for about 4 months before it fell off.
    After that I used a cable tie to replace the sellotape, to make it a bit more weatherproof.
    Regarding the positioning, the dish is centred on 28.2 and the 2nd lnb is in exactly the same position as shown.
    At the time I originally set it up, I was only using 19.2 very occasionally, however I found that both of my di(rt)y solutions were fairly stable if you're able to reach the dish to give the 2nd lnb a poke in case the weather had moved it.

I've got a "proper" dish and 2nd lnb bracket in the shed and haven't been in a hurry to put them up as it works.

Anyway happy tuning.

Thanks for the info. I have a spare LNB and will give it a try over the next weekend or 2 to see how it goes.

Thanks again to all for the input. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

oaklands wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I have a spare LNB and will give it a try over the next weekend or 2 to see how it goes.

Thanks again to all for the input. :)

Same as that for me:D

• Advertisement

I took some photos of my "setup" over the weekend and will post them later

I tried it out over the weekend with great success using a bracket which attached to the arm of the zone 2 dish (to hold the second LNB). I then used a DiSEqC switch to connect my receiver to the 2 LNBs and after a relatively small amount of adjustment can now get loads of German and some Italian, French and Polish stations which correspond to the ASTRA 1 (19E) list. Using the DiSEqC switch allows me to get ASTRA 2(28E) and ASTRA 1 (19E) at the same time from my receiver.

I will be tightening the screws next weekend and hope to get some photos for posting then. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

Here are some photos FYI:

The LNB holder bracket (for the second LNB) was purchased from Satworld in Dublin, but is not on their web site. The Main mounting bracket for the dish was purchased from Freesat in Dublin and enabled me to hide the dish from view behind a shed at the end of the back garden.

Advertisement