Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only getting 31kbps on broadband

• 08-06-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My parents broadband is worse than a joke. I did several speed tests and the average was as stated above. They are with perlico/vodafone and calls to them to get the line checked has had no result.

I looked at the internal wiring and I found that the eircom line into the house is joined at a small cracked junction box in the attic before it feeds to the main internal junction box in the house. My dad said this was how eircom joined the outside line to the inside line 20 years ago. I'm surprised they have any signal at all.

What are the options for getting reliable broadband for them as they both use skype a lot to keep in touch with distant friends?

Would going back to eircom get them to resolve the line problems or would mobile broadband like O2 work. I use my iPhone on this network when I want Internet access at their house and it's pretty fast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

results of a speed test this evening

840874788.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's pretty good for Vodafone fixed line, it's complete rubbish broadband.

That's pretty good for Vodafone fixed line, it's complete rubbish broadband.

Agreed.

Thats why I'm asking for alternatives.

My parents are paying 55 per month for phone and broadband, the latter is a complete joke.

Just came accross Digiwebs website. Would they be an alternative solution? From what I've read, they have a wireless solution that would get round the crap fixed line problem. Would this cause problems with the SKY box for instance that has to be plugged into a phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Agreed.

Thats why I'm asking for alternatives.

My parents are paying 55 per month for phone and broadband, the latter is a complete joke.

Just came accross Digiwebs website. Would they be an alternative solution? From what I've read, they have a wireless solution that would get round the crap fixed line problem. Would this cause problems with the SKY box for instance that has to be plugged into a phone line.

What about going for UPC as far as I know the UPC line will work with the Sky box once your enter a prefix in the phone settings.

841142580.png18443713.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sky boxes do not need a phoneline unless the house has a multiroom subscription. That Digiweb product is called "Metro" Dave and is available in Clane but not in Prosperous.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bob but the new broadband solution is for my parent's house in the Dublin 13 area.

Some friends of theirs went with UPC and absolutely hate it, i.e. slow broadband, crackling telephone line and lack of channels compared to SKY. They are trying to get out of their contract atm.

My parents have SKY multiroom and so the phoneline would be required.

Can they go with Digiweb metro for the bb and stick with perlico/vodafone for the phoneline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

I looked at the internal wiring and I found that the eircom line into the house is joined at a small cracked junction box in the attic before it feeds to the main internal junction box in the house. My dad said this was how eircom joined the outside line to the inside line 20 years ago. I'm surprised they have any signal at all.

Surely this is the responsibility of eircom to fix as it's their cracked juction box?
    Log a fault and get them out. it surely can't make it worse than 31kbs!!! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broadband Kid

UPC are the finest ISP in Ireland. Offer the fastest speeds and their contention ratio is only 12:1 while Vodafone's contention ratio is 48:1 Get the hell out of Vodafone as fast as you can that's my advice. Eircom is a no go either as it's a pretty awful service especially after 6 p.m. due to their high massive contention ratios and their Next Generation Broadband is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Derby1

1. Download latest drivers for your PC/laptop and re-do test.
    2. Download latest firmware for your wireless modem and re-do test.
    3. Buy your own junction box and make good connections - very easy done - any electrical wholesaler will sell you required box and re-do test.

By re-doing the test at each point you will see if you are making progress.

When I first got UTV broadband it was useless, basically no better than dial up. I did points 1 and 2 above and now have 54.0Mbps all the time.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Derby1 wrote: »
    When I first got UTV broadband it was useless, basically no better than dial up. I did points 1 and 2 above and now have 54.0Mbps all the time.

No, you don't. That is the speed between your wireless router and laptop / PC. It is the max speed of 802.11g, the wireless standard. It has no bearing on your actual broadband speed. There is no package in Ireland offering 54Mbps speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Derby1

I stand corrected regarding 54Mbps being the speed between my laptop and router but my suggestions as to how to make improvements still stand.

My broadband speeds on speedtest.net are not brilliant by broadband standards but I'm located in rural Donegal and to be honest I'm more than happy. I use SKYPE without problem

979340657.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Derby1 wrote: »
    I stand corrected regarding 54Mbps being the speed between my laptop and router but my suggestions as to how to make improvements still stand.

They absolutely do. Bad wiring etc can contribute to bad speeds. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Drivers on the computer won't do anything. Firmware on the modem more than likely won't do anything. Cabling or connections on the phone line, that's usually where the problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NBCPass

What's your Line Attenuation?

Advertisement