Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia in General Vs Android Vs iPhone

Options
  • 08-06-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi!!

Looking at changing my 5800 as the lack of decent apps and it freaking out every now and again.
    I am trying to justify getting a iPhone 4.0 over an Android. I just like the nice smooth interface and how sleek everything seems to run. I do however detest Apple and them locking you into their product having to convert mp3 and wma to aac etc.
    What are the Pros and cons of Android, iPhone and possibly a nokia is i have not lost all faith yet.

Oh i know there are seperate forums for Apple and Android im asking about both and other phones.

Any help please

Gar

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

gar wrote: »
    Hi!!

Looking at changing my 5800 as the lack of decent apps and it freaking out every now and again.
    I am trying to justify getting a iPhone 4.0 over an Android. I just like the nice smooth interface and how sleek everything seems to run. I do however detest Apple and them locking you into their product having to convert mp3 and wma to aac etc.
    What are the Pros and cons of Android, iPhone and possibly a nokia is i have not lost all faith yet.

Oh i know there are seperate forums for Apple and Android im asking about both and other phones.

Any help please

Gar
    There is no doubt the iPhone is very sleek and the iPhone 4 is going to sell by the bucket load.

You should just spend some time reading sites like Engadget, Gizmodo and other tech sites as they will no doubt be comparing Android and the new iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hi!!

Any help please

Gar

I upgraded from a 5800 to a HTC Desire about a month ago and the difference is like light and day. The sheer speed in using the Desire compared to the 5800 is just shocking and Im staggered at how i could put up with using a device so slow and sluggish as the 5800 is.

The Android App market is just so far ahead of Nokia's OVI store and with the new store and Android 2.2 coming soon things are looking sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Why don't you install a custom firmware to your 5800 first and see how that goes ? There are dozens of them available which do such things as speed up the phone and change themes, e.g. http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php/topic,20339.0.html

Why don't you install a custom firmware to your 5800 first and see how that goes ? There are dozens of them available which do such things as speed up the phone and change themes, e.g. http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php/topic,20339.0.html

Alot of people in that thread claiming it bricked their phone and the keyboard is German.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Sorry, that was just a quick glance and simply meant to give an idea of what's possible. Pop up to the next level and see how many f/w's are available, they can't all be bad, I hope !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

I think I have given the 5800 enough chances. Not really interested in it any more and disappointed by nokia again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

iPhone 3G it's about two years old this month and my son has the new X10 Experia on Android.

It's very close to my iPhone and in many ways much faster, but after using the iPhone for so long now, the interface is not exactly the same ~ but if you haven't used an iPhone much, then the X10 is certainly a competitor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I think I have given the 5800 enough chances. Not really interested in it any more and disappointed by nokia again
    I forgot to mention OP that I too have a 5800 but will be picking up a Desire on Saturday and I only got the 5800 in January!

The 5800 just doesn't cut it for me, the updates have improved the phone slightly but all the custom firmwares all they are trying to do is make the phone look like a better spec phone but at the end of the day it is still a Nokia.

Oh and the reason I am getting the Desire is that it impresses me more than the iPhone and I am getting it on pre-pay and it is going to cost me €399 as opposed €500 for the iPhone.

I forgot to mention OP that I too have a 5800 but will be picking up a Desire on Saturday and I only got the 5800 in January!

The 5800 just doesn't cut it for me, the updates have improved the phone slightly but all the custom firmwares all they are trying to do is make the phone look like a better spec phone but at the end of the day it is still a Nokia.

Oh and the reason I am getting the Desire is that it impresses me more than the iPhone and I am getting it on pre-pay and it is going to cost me €399 as opposed €500 for the iPhone.

Yeah the firmware updates for the 5800 really pissed me off. Getting to v40 took way to long for such a popular phone and v50 made the phone very sluggish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

.......... but at the end of the day it is still a Nokia.

The Nokia bage doesn't necessarily guarantee a disappointing phone, but it does seem like recently they've turned out a substantial amount of headsets that seem lacking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement