Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression the day after alcohol....help!

Options
  • 08-06-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi Guys,

I have a serious issue with alchohol and the day/s after... when i go out i have a good time and can be on top of the world but the following day i feell like i would rather be dead then feel the way i do! i get desperate anxiety, sleplessness feeling of dread and this can all last for days! does anybody else have this or is this rare? and does anyone know anything i could do to ease it!? its ruining my social life and also my bf and i are on the verge of breaking up and my only way to try and get over him is to go out with my friends but i fear that if i do go out and drink even if its not that much i will feel just awful the next day! i know the obvious answer would be to go out and not drink but to be honest i think i would be equally as depressed on the night as i would be thinking of him too much! any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you read back along this forum, you will read a lot about the post-pissup depression. I'm in my late 20s and have heard friends complain more andd more about it as I've gotten through my 20s.

I don't know what age you are but is it possible you are evolving away from it? Have you spent a lot of time not going out until recently? Have you started to binge drink/ get absolutely blotto?

The first question I'd ask myself if I were in your shoes is if it is okay with you that because you are going through a rough patch with you bf, you are 'turning to drink', so to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Alcohol comes with a long list of side effects. Yes Its nice to have a night out with friends, it stimulates the tong. But its also a depressant, hinders sleep, and weakens your body (when taken in excess). I learned my lesson years ago. Today in Ireland women seem to be drinking a lot more (with Alcopops). I suggest you go easy. 2 glasses of wine a night is more than enough alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solarchick

i get very depressed the nite after a big drinking session, you feel like absolute s**te and just so low..its made me want to stop goin out drinking because i cant face the next day! i used to binge drink all the time wen i was younger and could go out every fri,sat sun no problem ut now one nite out is enough for weeks! session depression!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 shelly1234

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you read back along this forum, you will read a lot about the post-pissup depression. I'm in my late 20s and have heard friends complain more andd more about it as I've gotten through my 20s.

I don't know what age you are but is it possible you are evolving away from it? Have you spent a lot of time not going out until recently? Have you started to binge drink/ get absolutely blotto?

The first question I'd ask myself if I were in your shoes is if it is okay with you that because you are going through a rough patch with you bf, you are 'turning to drink', so to speak?

Im 23... and i dont want to "turn to drink" i want to start going out with my friends again and that involves alchohol unfortunatly... its awful really because even if i have 1/2 glasses of wine im desperate sick the next day so imagin what a full on session does to me! ugh the thought of it makes me shudder!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Well i definitely dont think youre alone here. I think everyone gets this but it obviously affects some more than others, sometimes so much so that they have to do something about it. I get really bad hangovers/depression and im actually still suffering from Sunday night now. Yesterday/last night was one of the worst ive ever had. I really dont wanna have to go through it again so Ive decided to give up drinking completely, at least for a while, and see how it goes. Its the only option I can see cos moderation doesnt work for me.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    I want to know why I'm depressed the day after drinking a depressant all night!

:P

I used to get awful anxiety after a night of drinking, so much so that I started drinking the next day too to cure it. Slippery slope alert! Only thing that helped was quitting for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

shelly1234 wrote: »
    Im 23... and i dont want to "turn to drink" i want to start going out with my friends again and that involves alchohol unfortunatly... its awful really because even if i have 1/2 glasses of wine im desperate sick the next day so imagin what a full on session does to me! ugh the thought of it makes me shudder!

These are the reasons I never drank. It was just too much hardship. Does seeing your friends more necessarily mean you have to drink at all? I'm not trying to recruit another t-totaller, I think you should ask yourself objectively if you should knock it in the head.

It's that or just see if you can find something that works for you.

23 has been a magic number, IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Hey, I was in the exact same boat. After drinking you just feel drained, irritable, depressed and oh god the anxiety!

I quit the drink for a while. Not easy for a 23 year old! I didn't take it serious though and had a few beers one night. Next day I was dying, as if I'd been on a massive night out. Now I'm a year on and I'm off drink completely. Saw a hypnotist about the anxiety and 3 sessions later I'm cured. Now I still don't drink but I still go out the odd time and don't drink. It's actually good craic. My girlfriend has been very supportive too by not going out as much etc and we've saved a good bit of money too!

Trying to quit smoking at the minute and it's a million times harder. You just have to get over the "need" to drink. Just accept it's not for you. Even for a few months. Stay off the drink until your boyfriend and you patch things up at least.

If he's pressuring you to drink or makes fun or is anything other than 100% supportive, then do you really want to be with someone who will only love you if you drink? I'm not saying this to be harsh or to give relationship advice, I'm only saying it because I know I couldn't have done this without the support of my girlfriend. I'm a much better person now and feel better than I ever have before. With the anxiety gone, I'm also able to relax completely about going out and not drinking.
    Plus, when everyone else is drunk, you're instantly the smartest, quickest person around!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thezapper

OK first of all "The Depression" is perfectly normal after a session. You are not alone there. Everyone gets it to varying degrees and everyone's experience of it will vary somewhat. Here are a couple of things I've noticed about it over the years. These are my observations and I'm sure not true for everyone. I've noticed it getting worse as I get older. I'm 32 now and don't drink nearly as much as I did in my early 20's but I get way worse hangovers and depression now. It can vary depending on what you drink. Vodka makes me suicidal the next day but beer isn't so bad....so I drink beer. Finally, and I think this might be relevant for you, I've noticed that if things aren't going good in my life that the anxiety/depression after a session is worse that if things are OK. Sounds obvious but you said things aren't going great with your bf so maybe that is contributing to your feelings of anxiety when you're hungover.

Just some of my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have a friend who is not alcoholic but does not drink but suffers from depression. If he has a pint his mood swings are fairly awful so for some people it is not drink which is the problem but self medication for undiagnosed depression.

He does not do stupid things when drinking but feels awful.

That aside post-pissup depression and hangovers make lots of people feel awful - so if they are disproportionate -it is possible that its something else.

Drinking excessivelly wears you out but if you are suffering and you are not drinking excessively you might want to look at whats going on with a doctor and get help for whatever is happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement