Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargaining

Options
  • 08-06-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly how much should I be trying to bargain rent prices down ? Was talking to a friend of mine and he reckons that most places listed on daft as 1600-1700 (3 bed) can be bargained down to 1200-1400. By the same rational he thinks that anything listed around 1400 could be got for 1100. Obviously the figures are rough and it would depend on other factors.

Is he talking out of his arse or is this true ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

"it depends it depends it depends"

The area, how long it's been idle, how much the land lord is up to thier nipples in it.

find a few places, and low ball till the cows come home

what have you to lose only a bit of time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

as was said above, it all depends... I got €200 off our place, €1100 - 900. Viewed a load of places, some landlords wont budge, others will. Some of the places I looked at, and put decent offers on, are still for rent... ie. A house for €1050, offered €950 and then a €1000 and the landlord rejected the offer. That was two months ago n the place is still for rent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Do you try to bargain after you view the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Bob Z wrote: »
    Do you try to bargain after you view the place?
    yes, obviously.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    yes, obviously.

I know it's a silly question but sometimes prices are so high it's not worth looking at.

How much are landlords willing to reduce rent by? Would it be cheeky to try get a 130 or 150 euro a week house reduced to 90 or 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

i suppose it all depends on how much you like a property and what you are willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I know it's a silly question but sometimes prices are so high it's not worth looking at.

How much are landlords willing to reduce rent by? Would it be cheeky to try get a 130 or 150 euro a week house reduced to 90 or 100

It's always worth trying, always. A landlord isn't going to blacklist you just because you tried to negotiate rent down.

Some landlords won't be wiling to drop, some will.

Cathooo wrote: »
    It's always worth trying, always. A landlord isn't going to blacklist you just because you tried to negotiate rent down.

Some landlords won't be wiling to drop, some will.

Would they take offense or think I wasting their time if I was shown around and then
    offered say 100 for a 140 or 150 euro place?

Also why are price inconsistent? You get town centre houses that cost than apartments that are out of the way or seem
    very small

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Ask the landlord before you go to view it. Just ask could we talk about the rent before we view it or is that it.

Getting something from 150 euros/week to 100 euros a week - I wouldn't be too confident on that. There is a price below which it is just not worth renting a property, and you are heading into that territory very rapidly at 100 euros a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

There is a price below which it is just not worth renting a property, and you are heading into that territory very rapidly at 100 euros a week.

I dont understand this ? What if its a 3 bed apartment - 100 euro a week each - 1200 a month ? 100 euro a week can get you a nice place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Would they take offense or think I wasting their time if I was shown around and then
    offered say 100 for a 140 or 150 euro place?

Also why are price inconsistent? You get town centre houses that cost than apartments that are out of the way or seem
    very small

They may take offense but they'd be very stupid people to let offense stand in the way of having a rent paying tenant. That's not to say they'd accept your offer, but maybe they could negotiate it with you.

Prices are inconsistent because of what the landlord paid for the property. Small apartments in the middle of nowhere were bought as a 'good investment' back in the day and the mortgages on them are high. Landlords are always looking to at least cover their mortgage when renting a place out.

If you're looking to rent I'd do up my budget, decide on a maximum rental level you're willing to pay and look at places that are slightly above it in the hope that you can negotiate the rent down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I think negotiation is nessesary in todays market, even after viewing the apartment/house.
    If you see a house listed as €1200, and after viewing you think its only worth €950 then you should say it. No harm.

If the landlord wont budge move on,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It depends i suppose

You need a bit of a brass neck. If you try and lowball10 landlords from €1k a month down to say 6 or 700, you may find one who really needs the money and will rent the place (possibly at a loss) to you.

Advertisement