Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer holidays - Reduced rate

Options
  • 08-06-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

I live in a two bed apartment and I am renting the spare room out the a post grad, She is going away now for two months but wants to keep on the apartment for next year so asked for a reduced rate..

Can some one advice me as to how much a reduced rate would be? I would like to give it to her as cheap as i could as she is no trouble, very easy to live with but i have just been cut back at work so am struggling to pay bills,

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can you sublet it for the summer months? Take in a language student or something? However if the student wants to hold the room with her stuff in it, I can't see why they would be entitled to a reduced rent? The only reduction I can see is a share of the bills but they should still pay half of the fixed costs (line rental, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

athtrasna wrote: »
    Can you sublet it for the summer months? Take in a language student or something? However if the student wants to hold the room with her stuff in it, I can't see why they would be entitled to a reduced rent? The only reduction I can see is a share of the bills but they should still pay half of the fixed costs (line rental, etc)

well I dont think id like to rent it out for just 2 months if you know what i mean, i live there too and it would be gettin a total stanger for just the short period of time and she is leavin in the middle of this month and is back the middle of august. She is payin for all this month but wants a reduced rate for july and august she said she would tidy her stuff away so if my friends sleep over they can use her room, i suggested pay this month take july free and pay me for august because she is back mid month but she didnt seem happy with that and told me think about it,

as for bills, see she was ment to pay half of light and heat when moving in and i paid everything else but she never seems to pay it and i hate to keep asking so at least if i make some new agreement with her for next year i can stress she has to pay her share.

im just new to this so dont know waht i should do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Elbi wrote: »
    She is payin for all this month but wants a reduced rate for july and august she said she would tidy her stuff away so if my friends sleep over they can use her room, i suggested pay this month take july free and pay me for august because she is back mid month but she didnt seem happy with that and told me think about it

Eh what is she not happy about? you've offered to give her 4 weeks rent free...If you want to do it her way then you do the maths and come out at the same figure as a "reduced rate" for July and August...
    as for bills, see she was ment to pay half of light and heat when moving in and i paid everything else but she never seems to pay it and i hate to keep asking so at least if i make some new agreement with her for next year i can stress she has to pay her share.

Couple this with her reduced rate - I think she is taking the mick..
    If she is utilising the facilities that hike up the bills - ie washing, showering, watching tv etc - then she is to pay up.
    If you don't want to be chasing for bills every month you can increase the rental to include the bills.

oh and maybe put an agreement in place to state all of the above to avoid any further disputes with her.

thanks very much for yer opinions, I do think the one month free was a good offer, If i could afford better i would do so so i think im just going to tell her thats all i can offer.
    she said all her friends are gettin a reduced rate but people i know are payin full wack while they are away for the summer.

as for bills she isnt there very often (which makes her an ideal tennent) but when she is there the heating ans such gets left on 24/7 if im not there so my bills are sky high so i will definitely be sayin something about it as i dont think light and heat payment is too much to ask for

again thanks very much as i said im clueless with all this stuff as i am only living out of home the last year.
    :)

Well say for example the rent was 400 euro,
    what is the difference with you saying, pay nothing in July and pay 400 in August,
    of telling her to pay 200 in July and 200 in August...

And an ideal tenant is one that pays their dues....

• Advertisement

Well say for example the rent was 400 euro,
    what is the difference with you saying, pay nothing in July and pay 400 in August,
    of telling her to pay 200 in July and 200 in August...

And an ideal tenant is one that pays their dues....

yes thats what im going to do i think its the best option,

as for her being an ideal tenant .... very true for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

yes thats what im going to do i think its the best option,

as for her being an ideal tenant .... very true for you
    If you do go with that, i recommend getting 400 for July and nothing for August, rather than the other way around!

Ste.phen wrote: »
    If you do go with that, i recommend getting 400 for July and nothing for August, rather than the other way around!

yes, i suppose which ever she wants its all the same??

I just spoke to my friend who is renting a room to a friend of his, he thinks im crazy as the friend is going on holidays for two months but he is still making her pay full rent while she is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

she never seems to pay it and i hate to keep asking
    but when she is there the heating ans such gets left on 24/7 if im not there so my bills are sky high so i will definitely be sayin something about it as i dont think light and heat payment is too much to ask for
    :)

To be perfectly honest, I think you are being far too soft on her and she knows this.
    but she didnt seem happy with that and told me think about it

In this situation, you offered a very generous deal to her, especially considering your cutbacks in work, and she told you to think about it. It should be the other way round. Make her the offer, and let her think about. If she's not happy, then tough, you are nice enough to be letting her keep the tenancy without paying the rent. When she comes back after her break I think you need to sit her down and tell her she will be paying her share of each bill, 50/50, regardless of how much time she spends in the apartment. This is your home and you shouldnt have to pussy-foot around keeping her happy!

Stee wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I think you are being far too soft on her and she knows this.

In this situation, you offered a very generous deal to her, especially considering your cutbacks in work, and she told you to think about it. It should be the other way round. Make her the offer, and let her think about. If she's not happy, then tough, you are nice enough to be letting her keep the tenancy without paying the rent. When she comes back after her break I think you need to sit her down and tell her she will be paying her share of each bill, 50/50, regardless of how much time she spends in the apartment. This is your home and you shouldnt have to pussy-foot around keeping her happy!

+1

That happened me, I'm all for being flexible, but not for being taken as a mug in my own home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i have just been cut back at work so am struggling to pay bills
    as for bills, see she was ment to pay half of light and heat when moving in and i paid everything else but she never seems to pay it
    as for bills she isnt there very often (which makes her an ideal tennent) but when she is there the heating ans such gets left on 24/7 if im not there so my bills are sky high so i will definitely be sayin something about it as i dont think light and heat payment is too much to ask for
    An "ideal tenant"? She takes full advantage of your good nature, you are f**ked in terms of cash flow due to a cut in hours, and you let her pay no bills? She is taking advantage of you. Look around, and get another tenant. This one is pulling your f**king leg.

the_syco wrote: »
    An "ideal tenant"? She takes full advantage of your good nature, you are f**ked in terms of cash flow due to a cut in hours, and you let her pay no bills? She is taking advantage of you. Look around, and get another tenant. This one is pulling your f**king leg.

Well I just told a few of my friends about my little drama here and some of them think she is making a fool of me while others think it is very dear what im charging her, could any of you give me some insight and opinions if i give yee the details

Rent is 340 this includes

own room and bathroom (not big room but double bed locker desk and wardrobe in it)

Maintenance charges (bins , parking, security)

phone/internet

sky tv

the agreement was that she would pay half light and heat but doesnt and also the internet provider i had was too slow for her so she asked me to get eircom which was 30 euros dearer so she said if i got it she'd pay half I told her it was fine id pay it and she just stick to payin her share of light and heat... which she doesnt

is this very dear???

Ps. i just told her id give her the two months she is away for 200 per month, il let yee know how she takes it

Elbi the rent depends on the location...I mean Dublin city centre will be higher than say Lucan, and any part of Dublin is going to be higher than rents in Galway or Cork etc.

If you go to Daft.ie and search for ads that may be similar to yours, so say a double room, same location - then you should be able to gauge a ball park figure.

Elbi the rent depends on the location...I mean Dublin city centre will be higher than say Lucan, and any part of Dublin is going to be higher than rents in Galway or Cork etc.

If you go to Daft.ie and search for ads that may be similar to yours, so say a double room, same location - then you should be able to gauge a ball park figure.

yeah thanks just did that, there are all around the same price in this area, spoke to girl accross the road hers is 20 euro cheaper but she has to pay a share of ALL the bills,

Well my drama is over I told her she could pay 200 a month while gone and she said no she is moving out,

Thanks everyone for all your help, as i said i am very clueless about all this stuff so i was glad of your views :)

Make sure she settles her debts for the bills before she leaves, she is being very unreasonable so I wouldn't be doing her any favours!!

Make sure she settles her debts for the bills before she leaves, she is being very unreasonable so I wouldn't be doing her any favours!!

you and i both know thats not going to happen....

i know i an ape you dont need to tell me ha

Did you get a deposit when she first moved in?

Did you get a deposit when she first moved in?

No she just paid a month up front so whenshe goes the last month is free (this month)

do you think i should get a deposit in future when renting?

No she just paid a month up front so whenshe goes the last month is free (this month)

do you think i should get a deposit in future when renting?

I think technically that is the deposit - and it should never be in lieu of the last months rent unless you are absolutely sure that there will be nothing outstanding at the end of the tenancy.

The deposit is absolutely nothing to do with rent - it is there to cover off any damage (other than normal wear and tear), unpaid bills, theft (yeah it happens when people get attached to furniture or appliances!!) etc.

Did you tell her that the last months rent would be "free"?

I think technically that is the deposit - and it should never be in lieu of the last months rent unless you are absolutely sure that there will be nothing outstanding at the end of the tenancy.

The deposit is absolutely nothing to do with rent - it is there to cover off any damage (other than normal wear and tear), unpaid bills, theft (yeah it happens when people get attached to furniture or appliances!!) etc.

Did you tell her that the last months rent would be "free"?

well i just told her i wanted a month up front and a months notice when she was moving out,
    She wa sment to pay for this month last week and she kept stalling so she was obviously waiting to see about the "reduced rate"

to be honest she was obvioulsy just lookin for a free ride and i just want to get rid of her now

• Advertisement

well i just told her i wanted a month up front and a months notice when she was moving out,
    She wa sment to pay for this month last week and she kept stalling so she was obviously waiting to see about the "reduced rate"

to be honest she was obvioulsy just lookin for a free ride and i just want to get rid of her now

right so as of this minute, you have one months rent up front, she is late paying her rent for this month, she has not paid the bills and she hasn't given you a months notice....

don't let her walk all over you - I know you want rid, but there is no reason for you to be out of pocket because she is being cheeky.

right so as of this minute, you have one months rent up front, she is late paying her rent for this month, she has not paid the bills and she hasn't given you a months notice....

don't let her walk all over you - I know you want rid, but there is no reason for you to be out of pocket because she is being cheeky.

ok so i was just home there and she gave me this months rent, maybe im totally wronging her.. or maybe she assumed the month up front was a deposit which she will expect backin a few days

just wondering - how many bills has she not coughed up for yet?
    and do you still have them on file that you can produce them if required?

I still think she should pay up for the bills, especially if it was an agreed term.

im tryin to think back now but i think she paid me because she owes me, she pays for the month up front which means she paid me today so she can stay til the end of the month, i must look up my agreement and see again it was so long ago i forget
    Sorry im confusing you now, im confusing myself

yes i have all the bills because there is only 9 months of them i only moved in then myself. i dont really mind about them to be honest if she hadnt mentioned a reduced rate for the summer id probably have continued to look past the light and heat bills

ok so -
    well for next time you'll have all this sorted.
    Just a tip though - when you get a deposit from your next tenant - remember it is not yours to spend, so stick it in an account and leave it there in case they give you notice and you need to give it back.

Also, be very specific and distinguish between the deposit, the monthly rent and of course the standing arrangement as regards to bills.

Times are tough for everyone right now, and its not fair to be taken advantage off. I went through the same last year, I had a tenant who was kinda taking the mick, she had her hours reduced in her job and I reduced the rent a bit for her, as she said she'd only be here 4 nights a week instead of 7 - sure she was here all the time and paying less. So I weighed up the cost of living alone vs the costs she was landing on the place - after a long hard think I asked her to leave.

ok so -
    well for next time you'll have all this sorted.
    Just a tip though - when you get a deposit from your next tenant - remember it is not yours to spend, so stick it in an account and leave it there in case they give you notice and you need to give it back.

Also, be very specific and distinguish between the deposit, the monthly rent and of course the standing arrangement as regards to bills.

Times are tough for everyone right now, and its not fair to be taken advantage off. I went through the same last year, I had a tenant who was kinda taking the mick, she had her hours reduced in her job and I reduced the rent a bit for her, as she said she'd only be here 4 nights a week instead of 7 - sure she was here all the time and paying less. So I weighed up the cost of living alone vs the costs she was landing on the place - after a long hard think I asked her to leave.

ya il know in future and have proper contract in place, i will also stress that i expect bills to be paid, il know better next time

wow you cut down the rent because she was cut down in work that was very nice of you and she totally took advantage. you were totally right to ask her to leave i dont think id have had the nerve so fair play to you

Thanks again for all the advice,
    you were very good to be listening to me moan on,

ya il know in future and have proper contract in place, i will also stress that i expect bills to be paid, il know better next time

wow you cut down the rent because she was cut down in work that was very nice of you and she totally took advantage. you were totally right to ask her to leave i dont think id have had the nerve so fair play to you

Thanks again for all the advice,
    you were very good to be listening to me moan on,

Ah at the time I could afford it - not so sure now.
    No problemo on the listening - sure I've done the same here too - as have many more, also sometimes its better to get another perspective on things.

Advertisement