Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"British" themed threads on AH

Options
  • 08-06-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

What is with the very frequent “British” themed threads lately on After Hours such as:

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??
    Irish in the British Armed Forces
    Should the Queen of England be welcomed to Ireland?
    Increasing English Influence
    Apparently we're British!
    The Brits....

These threads usually degenerate into slagging matches but are some of the most contributed to threads on AH all the same - obviously we in Ireland want to discuss the subject ad nauseum (whereas I would guess that the Brits themselves are completely un-interested).

Why are people so obsessed by how our relationship with Britain is perceived?

It can only be post colonial feelings of inferiority?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    What is with the very frequent “British” themed threads lately on After Hours such as:

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??
    Irish in the British Armed Forces
    Should the Queen of England be welcomed to Ireland?
    Increasing English Influence
    Apparently we're British!
    The Brits....

These threads usually degenerate into slagging matches but are some of the most contributed to threads on AH all the same - obviously we in Ireland want to discuss the subject ad nauseum (whereas I would guess that the Brits themselves are completely un-interested).

Why are people so obsessed by how our relationship with Britain is perceived?

It can only be post colonial feelings of inferiority?

I honestly read that as "It can only be post coital feelings of inferiority?"

I really need to get out more:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Perhaps you should start a thread in AH and ask them..

..oh..wait

To be serious though its AH itself, if a thread gets interest, there seems to be off shoots of that thread to in a popularity whoring attempt.

/removes freud hat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They do get irksome after a while, and always end up the same. I find that there's always a few posters who latch on to the threads too, rather than just address points made in it, they'll repeat their own points until blue in the face

It's obviously seen as a divisive subject by many people, and I find it annoying that anyone not saying that they effectively want to be British is therefor anti-British and should be ridiculed as such regardless of it not being the case.. If the level of resentment shown towards the Irish in those threads was instead focused on the British the threads wouldn't last long at all!

The anti british brigade (normally consists of Sinn fein and the mildly ret..ah nevermind) annoy me more than the threads themselves.

England and ireland remind me of 2 squabbling siblings, people tend to forget that england are and probably have been for most part one of our greatest allies. Frankly they should have been given 2 more counties in as a form of thanks for their language.. (im thinking monaghan and perhaps longford)

Im not ignoring their crimes in the name of their imperial power, but im not going to blind myself in hate or begrudgery either, nor am i going to have some bitter whack job claim they are more irish than me simply because im not in the Hate England mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

snyper wrote: »
    The anti british brigade (normally consists of Sinn fein and the mildly ret..ah nevermind) annoy me more than the threads themselves.

England and ireland remind me of 2 squabbling siblings, people tend to forget that england are and probably have been for most partone of our greatest allies.

Im not ignoring their crimes in the name of their imperial power, but im not going to blind myself in hate or begrudgery either, no am i going to have some bitter whack job claim they are more irish than me simply because im not in the Hate England mob.

Look at the result of the poll in that thread, which anti-British brigade do you speak of? The opinions of a few =/= that of the many. The attitude towards anyone showing any sign of being proud of their national identity is shocking. If there's one thing I'd hate more than the anti-British brigade it's the self-hating Irish brigade

• Advertisement

Look at the result of the poll in that thread, which anti-British brigade do you speak of? The opinions of a few =/= that of the many. The attitude towards anyone showing any sign of being proud of their national identity is shocking. If there's one thing I'd hate more than the anti-British brigade it's the self-hating Irish brigade

I have noticed this.

The tri colour is a rare sight outside an irish home.

The danish flag is however outside every home in denmark practically, americans love their flag.. Sinn Fein stole ours.

People seem to like to dislike being Irish. I tend to think its a good reflection of our society.. why? Because if they were from Sudan they would love to be from this small Island

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

snyper wrote:
    Frankly they should have been given 2 more counties in as a form of thanks for their language.. (im thinking monaghan and perhaps longford)
    I agree. But would go for Cavan and Limerick instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

England and ireland remind me of 2 squabbling siblings

But it takes two to tango and I dont much squabbling from the English side.

Its always our own lads going on about where we stand in relation to Britain - both the 800 years of misery crowd and the right on "I wouldnt be so backward as to hate the brits" types, both camps seem to be equally obsessed by the subject.

People seem to like to dislike being Irish. I tend to think its a good reflection of our society.. why?

Id say you've hit the nail on the head there alright - for example people posting about whether its ok for Irish people to join the British army - the sub conscious issue may really whether we would be good enough.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why are there so many AH themed threads in feedback lately?
    Yeah. Turned you right on your head.

• Advertisement

Why are there so many AH themed threads in feedback lately?

I dont know. Tell me why?

Move this thread to AH if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Christ. It's the internet.

You know, not everyone is as jumped up on mighty high horses and holier than thou in real life as they are on boards as you may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Stop people posting hate threads
    We want freedom of speech
    Mods locked my thread on the queen
    I'm pro a pommy poster i swear
    I want the queen to come here
    We love the english
    I hate the oppressing bastards
    Lets all embrace our neighbours
    Mods don't lock anti american threads, why lock anti brit threads
    Lock this week, leave next week

I don't know where I'm going with this, but there was a point at the start.
    I'll stop rambling now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Rabies wrote: »
    Stop people posting hate threads
    Mods locked my thread on the queen
    I'm pro a pommy poster i swear
    I want the queen to come here
    We love the english
    I hate the oppressing bastards
    Lets all embrace our neighbours
    Mods don't lock anti american threads, why lock anti brit threads
    Lock this week, leave next week

We've seen it all.

Rabies wrote: »
    I don't know where I'm going with this, but there was a point at the start.
    I'll stop rambling now

I'm guessing now, but was it?:

We all know that's not allowed on boards but we get it in After Hours all the time.

Am I close?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why lately? Because there hasn't been a good awl' yankee fun killing spree for yous to sink your collective teeth into. Hence in the lull you've turned on eachother again.

whats this "each other" you speak of?
    The brits are not one of our own. They be spawn of the devil I tell!!
    Wouldn't give the bastards the steam of my p!ss
    What have they ever done for us.

Now, I can't wait for the premier league to start up again. My fav football team will get top spot for sure. Oh oh oh, have any of you guys seen that movie with that great english actor in it, you know the one? Oooooo, I love a good english breakfast when I'm travelling. At least they left something good behind them on their plunders.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Start some Portuguese-themed threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe people should get to devising original AH threads themselves instead of policing other people's threads.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe people should get to devising original AH threads themselves instead of policing other people's threads.

Nah. I'll stick to the policing.
    I'ma start hating on the Australians again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Nah. I'll stick to the policing.
    I'ma start hating on the Australians again.
    I find the Australian, New Zealand and South African accents a bit similar. Apart from the South African "Ah". Seriously, where the flip did that come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Isn't that the point of AH — a place to dump the crap you wouldn't want anywhere else? :p

grizzly wrote: »
    Isn't that the point of AH — a place to dump the crap you wouldn't want anywhere else? :p

Yes I agree, but why is so much of the crap "British" themed lately?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Yes I agree, but why is so much of the crap "British" themed lately?

It moves in cycles

British
    Immigrant
    Nama
    Government
    Dole
    Recession
    Toilet threads
    Pighead threads
    Headshops
    Scumbags
    Knackers
    World politics and AH views
    Racism

Anymore?

Wait a week, cleanse your eyeballs and come back.

Advertisement