Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vatican team to clamp down on liberal opinion

• 08-06-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

This makes me sick. If anything, the church should be standing up, taking account of it's wrongs, promising to never attempt to cover up anything like the abuse scandals again and then they should be begging for forgiveness not only from "God" but from the people of this country and other countries around the world.

Instead this seems like "oh no they don't like us anymore, quick get some agents in here we need to become famous again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

This is a ****ing joke right?

Putting priests right back in a position of power and reverence over ordinary people. No ****ing way can that backfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

"A major thrust of the Vatican"...

That sentence scares me on so many levels... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

lol... No communion, that'll get the lapsed lot back in the pews...
    If you use condoms you can't eat Jesus... Also you have to start telling us if you're screwing round cause otherwise we won't know about it...
    They're only going to drive more people away... Leaving them with a higher percentage of hard liners... Which will drive more away.
    Leaving them with all their accumulated money and few moderates to act as a calming influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

The nine-member team led by two cardinals will be instructed by the Vatican to restore a traditional sense of reverence among ordinary Catholics for their priests, the Irish Independent has learned.

See brackets... Replace traditional with mandatory and you have their actual objective.

Overall it's a farce. In all likelihood Kerry Katona stands a better chance of having success at changing her image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Denying people their right to opinion and free speech...
    Man, these guys are SO WITH IT!
    [/jealous]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

and to return to the practice of regular confession, which has been largely abandoned by adults since the 1960s.
    So... what? Memorize some of the sh|t from 4chan, and go into confession to give the priest a heart attack by telling them of all the sh|te you did? And doing this on a weekly basis? Sounds like lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Nobody expects the Irish Inquisition!

It's difficult to imagine Jesus expecting people to revere him just because he demands reverence - he knew that such respect had to be earned by words and actions, not membership of a powerful group.

It's difficult to imagine Jesus telling the disciples not to question his teachings in public.

It's difficult to imagine Jesus ordering the disciples to tell him all of their sins.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just more reasons to laugh in their face after reading that b/s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Petrovia

Hmm. Let's look at that again:
    Priests will be told not to question in public official church teaching on controversial issues such as the papal ban on birth control or the admission of divorced Catholics living with new partners to the sacraments -- especially Holy Communion.

Theologians will be expected to teach traditional doctrine by constantly preaching to lay Catholics of attendance at Mass and to return to the practice of regular confession, which has been largely abandoned by adults since the 1960s.

An emphasis will be placed on an evangelisation campaign to overcome the alienation of young people scandalised by the spate of sexual abuse of children and by later cover-ups of paedophile clerics by leaders of the institutional church.

A major thrust of the Vatican investigation will be to counteract materialistic and secularist attitudes, which Pope Benedict believes have led many Irish Catholics to ignore church disciplines and become lax in following devotional practices such as going on pilgrimages and doing penance.

No, I think you've got it wrong. To me, it looks like a very well thought-out, cunning and profitable plan to get rid of a large percentage of current members.

'Oh, what'll we do today?'
    'Hmm. Get rid of some members?'
    'Yes! But how?'
    'CLAMPING DOWN ON LIBERAL OPINION!'
    'I like your thinking.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Petrovia wrote: »
    To me, it looks like a very well thought-out, cunning and profitable plan to get rid of a large percentage of current members.

Well in that case, I hope it works!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

At least the murder rate will take a dive! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

goose2005 wrote: »
    It's difficult to imagine Jesus

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

"""in an intensive drive to re-impose traditional respect for clergy"""

Respect has to be earned. This lot of frauds has forfeited any respect they had and lost all credibility to boot.

Go! your time is over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

256px-Ted_kicks_Bishop_Brennan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

This proves that all Irish Church goers are Protestant in all but name. How many of them believe the Pope has magic powers and can never be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Dear Vatican,

Get fuked!

Seriously.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

goose2005 wrote: »
    Nobody expects the Irish Inquisition!

It's difficult to imagine Jesus expecting people to revere him just because he demands reverence - he knew that such respect had to be earned by words and actions, not membership of a powerful group.

It's difficult to imagine Jesus telling the disciples not to question his teachings in public.

It's difficult to imagine Jesus ordering the disciples to tell him all of their sins.
    JESUS AND HIS DISCIPLES WERE PRACTICING JEWS,NOT CATHOLICS

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gazfish

Still waiting for the lightening to strike....nope nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why do have an image in my head of them 'gearing up' like 80s action movie stars, only with crosses and bottles of holy water instead of guns n' grenades?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

116396.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

It certainly shows how deluded the Roman Catholic hierarchy are, only the weakest willed of its flock will listen to this nonsense.
    Just another thing to weaken the church, NO loss really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

the_syco wrote: »
    So... what? Memorize some of the sh|t from 4chan, and go into confession to give the priest a heart attack by telling them of all the sh|te you did? And doing this on a weekly basis? Sounds like lulz.
    Bless me father for I have sinned, it has been several months since my last confession.
    I have not been the best Catholic recently. I have, on several occasions, taken the name of the Lord in vain, often as part of spiteful verbal assaults on members of my family. The most frequent recipient of these outbursts has been my wife. Although we are married for 30 years and I love her dearly, I have been having impure thoughts about other women as a result of lack of intercourse with her. On occasion, this has driven me to the most deplorable sin of masturbation. When my parents were over for dinner the other day, I excused myself and went to the bathroom, where I began to indulge myself in the most sinful manner. I had forgotten to lock the door and after a few minutes I was startled by my mother walking in. My mom got scared, and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo, holmes to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

Well if I see a black van pulling up with the V-Team in it, I'm not getting in.

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why do have an image in my head of them 'gearing up' like 80s action movie stars, only with crosses and bottles of holy water instead of guns n' grenades?

the latest members of team vatican?

lostboys460.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    the latest members victims of team vatican?
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Ok this probably isn't going to come out exacly how I want it to but I'll give it my best go. :p

I'm slightly suprised that this bothers everyone on this forum. I mean I presume you're all either atheist or agnostic so why does internal Catholic church matters bother you so much?? This isn't a child abuse scandal for example which shocks everyone regardless of beliefes. As far as I can make out with the exception of the evangelisation drive, this directive is aimed at peopel who currently identify as Catholics. If people are stupid enough to go down the road of pretty much worshiping priests again and believeing in all the 1950's bull**** I say let them. As long as their religion doesn't impact on me or the population in general (eg censorship by Catholic bishops again) I think if people are that gullible it isn't really my concern.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

koth wrote: »
    the latest members victims of team vatican's members' members?
    :cool:

Ok this probably isn't going to come out exacly how I want it to but I'll give it my best go. :p

I'm slightly suprised that this bothers everyone on this forum. I mean I presume you're all either atheist or agnostic so why does internal Catholic church matters bother you so much?? This isn't a child abuse scandal for example which shocks everyone regardless of beliefes. As far as I can make out with the exception of the evangelisation drive, this directive is aimed at peopel who currently identify as Catholics. If people are stupid enough to go down the road of pretty much worshiping priests again and believeing in all the 1950's bull**** I say let them. As long as their religion doesn't impact on me or the population in general (eg censorship by Catholic bishops again) I think if people are that gullible it isn't really my concern.

I can't speak for every poster on here, but I think that the sheer hubris, arrogance and sense of entitlement that the RCC thinks it has is what bothers people on here.

*heads over to Adverts to pick up a Taser, just in case*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I mean I presume you're all either atheist or agnostic so why does internal Catholic church matters bother you so much??
    If the church were completely separated from public life/policy this would be a point and laugh story.

Unfortunately these goons are still educating our kids.

As long as their religion doesn't impact on me or the population in general

Ah but it does. The CC still has much influence over state affairs,most notably education, not to mention their ongoing 'special relationship' with Fiana Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Dades wrote: »
    If the church were completely separated from public life/policy this would be a point and laugh story.

Unfortunately these goons are still educating our kids.

:(This is a very valid concern that really needs to be addressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

"A major thrust of the Vatican"...

That sentence scares me on so many levels... :pac:

You know, I type LOL a lot, but only now have I actually spent 10 seconds properly laughing out loud in front of my computer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't honestly see that working in any way...
    Just going by my own circle of friends and acquaintances, a policy like that seems poised to alienate the few that still do feel some sort of attachement to the church.

Suits me fine, I have to say, as anything that pushes churches further out of society and mainstream culture will be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

This can be summed up in two words- psychological dictatorship. No offense to Catholics, I know there are plenty of good practicising Catholics out there, but I really ****ing hate the Catholic church right now.

• Advertisement

Xluna wrote: »
    This can be summed up in two words- psychological dictatorship. No offense to Catholics, I know there are plenty of good practicising Catholics out there, but I really ****ing hate the Catholic church right now and would'nt shed a tear if I heard of Benedict passed away in the morning news tomorrow.

oh leave the man alone. he's old. so what if hes a racist and a sexist, hes 80 odd years old. when an 80 year old says something racist you just say 'ah sure you cant think like that anymore' and buy them a pint.

in anyway he talks to a jewish zombie whos da sits on a cloud from a magic seat which prevents him from lying. to quote the great man

'your not meant to take it seriously Ted!' - Fr. Dougal Maguire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

oh leave the man alone. he's old. so what if hes a racist and a sexist, hes 80 odd years old. when an 80 year old says something racist you just say 'ah sure you cant think like that anymore' and buy them a pint.

in anyway he talks to a jewish zombie whos da sits on a cloud from a magic seat which prevents him from lying. to quote the great man

'your not meant to take it seriously Ted!' - Fr. Dougal Maguire

Sadly alot of people do take his social views seriously,including our government, and actively and tacitly discriminate against atheists and lgbt people based on his inner diatribes with a flying spagetti monster.

Xluna wrote: »
    Sadly alot of people do take his social views seriously,including our government, and actively and tacitly discriminate against atheists and lgbt people based on his inner diatribes with a flying spagetti monster.

oh yeah. i forgot about those eejits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

20100608z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

There was a great discussion of this topic in this thread, plenty of people defending this organization of South American junta appeasers & paedophile shufflers.

That nonsense came to light and then today there were protests over the civil partnership bill by 'Coir', some right wing nutjob religious group.

I think they are the Lisbon people, I'm not sure.

These freaks are launching a full scale morality attack on the country.

Coir protest

I'm getting tired of seeing this and hearing of nobody protesting back.

If anyone comes across their next protest schedule please post it, I'm going to go out with them with pro-sodomy signs & I welcome all to follow me, absolutely sick of seeing these people represent a moral platform.

20100608z.jpg

I like how the newspaper refers to 'Blasphemy Pants Cause Riot'

There was a great discussion of this topic in this thread, plenty of people defending this organization of South American junta appeasers & paedophile shufflers.

That nonsense came to light and then today there were protests over the civil partnership bill by 'Coir', some right wing nutjob religious group.

I think they are the Lisbon people, I'm not sure.

These freaks are launching a full scale morality attack on the country.

Coir protest

I'm getting tired of seeing this and hearing of nobody protesting back.

If anyone comes across their next protest schedule please post it, I'm going to go out with them with pro-sodomy signs & I welcome all to follow me, absolutely sick of seeing these people represent a moral platform.

christ not Coir again. yeah theyre the Lisbon crowd. i had a massive row with them on mary street over the bul**** they were spouting.

still "say no to sodomy". you know i probably would say no thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Has this story shown up in anything other than the Indo yet?

Not that I'm suggesting that they're inventing this, but the whole article is based upon a leak from "informed sources in the Catholic Church" instead of something a bit firmer.

robindch wrote: »
    Has this story shown up in anything other than the Indo yet?

Not that I'm suggesting that they're inventing this, but the whole article is based upon a leak from "informed sources in the Catholic Church" instead of something a bit firmer.

informed sources? :rolleyes:

Dear Pope Benidict XVI

I am writting to you about the shockin state alltogether of irish society
    these days.

Having recently emerged from a 40 year penance of getting myself stuck behind some bookshelves with a motorbike helmet placed backwards over my head on account of listineng to that elvis song, I ventured out to reconnect with the bright and virtuous people of Ireland.

Im tellin ya Ratzo you wouldn't believe whats going on. Nobody goes to mass, theres women showing their knickers, having jobs and doing what they like without asking a priest first. So shocked was I at transgressions and trespasses that i dived into a public house to steady me ould nerves.
    A place with a rainbow flag outside it on georges street, sure im sure we were there one night.

Anyway you wouldnt believe what was going on in the place, there was lads dancin together! I looked all around the walls but couldnt see any girls in knitted cardigans waiting to be approached by a young bachelor. just more lads...up to stuff.

So i legged it out of there and called for the nearest boy in blue. Jaysus you wouldnt believe it sure wasnt he a black fella! In Dublin of all places. Sure i dont know what to be doing at all.

So im back behind me shelves and I have to insist you send a few of the heavies round to sort this lot out before we've girls out driving or something mad like that.

All the best in the new job.

Brother Barny
    Behind the shelves
    Milltown

• Advertisement
Advertisement