Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I do not understand Libertarianism.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭simplistic2

Are you seriously trying to infer that the state wishes to incentivise teenage pregnancy?
    I think i've heard it all now...

Are you seriously trying to infer that I am trying to infer that the state wishes to incentivise teenage pregnancy?

Go on just say it..." I have no better argument so I have to come to an irrational conclusion to invalidate what I just read"

There that was a lot easier then spewing that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Sand wrote: »
    I think the problem with libertarianism is best summarised by trying to imagine an unmoderated boards.ie....

It might be beautiful, but chances are it would degenerate into some horrific cesspit of humanity unleashed without consequences.
    I understood libertarianism to be the one code that urges people to accept the consequences of their actions. Any classically liberal society would have a strict code of law that is rigorously enforced. Property rights, individual rights, and a stringently limited government would not bring about this violent state of complete anarchy people are always preaching on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Hazlittle

Libertarianism is a philosophical and political position that takes as its first priority the freedom of every human individual. Individual freedom is and should be the basis of all social relations. The core of Libertarianism is what is called the non-aggression axiom (NAA):

NAA: no one may initiate or threaten to initiate the use of coercive physical violence against the person or property of another.

Further reading.

http://irishlibertyforum.org/researched-articles/53-libertarianism-an-introduction.html

Since a third of people dont vote we can assume that a large percentage of people are fed up with the government. 40 odd people signed up the liberty forum and nearly thousand with the freeman movement, it could be possible that libertarianism could spread. All we need is to get in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hazlittle wrote: »
    Further reading.

http://irishlibertyforum.org/researched-articles/53-libertarianism-an-introduction.html

Since a third of people dont vote we can assume that a large percentage of people are fed up with the government.

Given the variety of reasons found in the fairly regular surveys and studies on not voting, that's probably not a safe assumption.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Hazlittle

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Given the variety of reasons found in the fairly regular surveys and studies on not voting, that's probably not a safe assumption.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

What reasons are they?
    I could think of a few.
    Parties all the same or the same things will be done anyway or the one issue care about wont get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    How can people be truly equal in a Libertarian society if someone is born into a working class family, is unable to go to school and learn the skills needed to get a job ect. ??

You're mixing up egalitarianism and libertarianism.

I'd class myself as libertarian.

I believe in low governement interference in both social and economic matters. Ultimately, I am of the opinion that individual free will is the most important thing in the world.

Advertisement